71 Early Bay, formerly know as 'SuperDry'

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll get there in the end Scoopsie!

Glad your blueprinting it this time, do it once do it proper like ;)

Im in a similar situation with an engine, hopefully reap the rewards this year too, keep the updates coming 8)

georgeyv said:
What was the crack with the engine? Poor rebuild?
The rebuild was terrible.
Blue Hylomar used all over the place, exhaust studs had insufficient thread and snapped when being removed, cylinders weren't in line with heads, insufficient thread engagement in head nuts.

It was to the point that I wasn't convinced I could spin it up for oil pressure without doing damage.

I've heard even worse stories regarding engines from the same vendor........

Not at all. The fella is selling long blocks on eBay and is based Doncaster way.

Had a little consignment arrive from Heritage today!

What a shame. I looked at his on ebay for a while before I found a guy selling a turnkey that I could see running.

I couldn't find any feed back so was skeptical about his engines, what a shame he's letting stuff like that go out.

Good to see you're getting set up for a proper build!

In the interest of public service should you not name this builder with a constructive criticism of why you feel you didn't get what you expected, then at least others can make their own mind up as to whether his engines match their budget & expectations ;)

[youtube]fyo5hgUjhLk[/youtube]

He's Crowbarman1970 on eBay and ArcEye on VZi

hahahahahaha fantastic narration on the video :lol:
I hope you get the sweet engine you deserve after all this buggering about.

AS21 was allways the best case ,better than any after market case,and can be got at a fraction of the cost,for your type of build.

megaaircooledvw said:
AS21 was allways the best case ,better than any after market case,and can be got at a fraction of the cost,for your type of build.

What a load of Tosh!

The Ali cases are far stronger, the only real downside is that they are heavier.

They are also cheaper than buying a brand new Mag case.

Unless you want to take a risk on a second hand case which may have been machined within an inch of its life or could need machining, hence extra cost, than I would always recommend the Ali cases.

The video sums it up pretty well! Glad I steered clear. What a nightmare! Good luck with the new engine build. I imagine you'll be steering clear of the blue hylomar for this one! :lol:

mr scoops said:
[youtube]fyo5hgUjhLk[/youtube]

He's Crowbarman1970 on eBay and ArcEye on VZi
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Spat my tea out my nose lad! "Spunked it all over the engine..... Used it to penetrate his arsehole!" I hope top gear are watching this as they need a good presenter!! :lol: :lol:

So, I've had somewhat of a hiatus from it all after losing my job. I am however back in employment, although at a significantly lower salary but it's meant I'm now getting my mojo back and really want the 71 back out on the road, especially as I had to sell the T5 so I'm van-less until I have my engine built.

Anyway, I have my engine parts, I'm just waiting for my mate to help me build it up once he's finished the other one he's doing at the moment.

So, I got out there and got some sound deadening in the back .......

I also had a look at the battery tray and have started to suss out how big a section I need to cut out and bond in the new section. I've decided not to weld it in as I don't want to burn the exterior paint.

In other news, I decided it needed to change externally too, so a mate came round with his mop and went to work on the OG paint.

He did one side and made a start on the back, next is the other side and the front panel and then the roof. The next night I clayed the rear corner, polished it, waxed it, then sealed it.
I'm really pleased with it, the van will look great when it's all done!

Latest posts