71 Early Bay, formerly know as 'SuperDry'

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ta, I really miss having it on the road and just want to get it sorted so I can drive it again.

The engine build has finally begun!!!!!

Started the crank assembly today.

I didn't realise that the crank I'd been supplied with was a counterweighted unit so it kind of put a halt on things as once I'd got this far I now need to get the crank dynamically balanced.
I'm hoping to get it done this week, so if anyone can recommend anybody to balance it for me this week near Weston-super-Mare it would be much appreciated.
I'm going to get the rods match weighted too and then torque the rods on and get it in the case.
Properly found my mojo for it all again now, can't wait to get it back on the road.

I"ll contact them.
There's a machining guy here in Weston but I'm not sure if he does dynamic balancing.

So, a slight problem with the bearings for the main end on the new engine build means that I've got to wait for new bearings to come in.
After freeing up some funds form selling stuff in the garage I bought the engine that Tom Smith has just taken out of the green body dropped Early Bay.
It came with a dynamo fitted and I was about to fit it and fudge the electrics temporarily but I decided to fit an alternator to it.

So, this morning I went out to swap the over. After removing the fan housing and the fuel pump I discovered another issue.
The oil under the fuel pump in the block was stinking of petrol.

I'm assuming it is the diaphragm in the fuel pump gone.
I've got a couple of options, I can either rob the fuel pump from the old engine, or, go ahead and fit the electric pump and regulator that I intend to use with the new, new engine......

mr scoops said:
Thought it was about time I got some pics and a thread up.

AF4C523B-865C-4863-95A9-9931D2C74800-26443-0000105BB9C61BC7_zpsaf6ffca0.jpg

403993_3649520915186_1957240264_n_zpsfdbb001b.jpg

2a41f448-1_zps514c1696.jpg

949968a3e1d32e285390e2566ff5b175.jpg

869C6341-FFE5-4DA5-A3E7-9ACCCEAC699F-1717-000000B8A9B37551.jpg

d1ca4188.jpg

4550f011.jpg

6b644a50.jpg

7748c33d.jpg

1c6c48f5.jpg

b5c7e976.jpg

a4396748.jpg

1600 twinport engine, fitted with Pertronix dizzy, twin 34 ICTs, Bugpack Oil breather and Vintage Speed exhaust.
Notched chassis front and rear, 4" narrowed K/LP beam, dropped spindles and 944 NA discs.
Adjustable spring plates
Running JGE Kosmics.
Full width rock n roll bed, split charge system.
Bluebird Buddy seats and tv seat housing leisure battery and electrics
Autometer tacho, CSP shifter.

Built my T2D and featured in VolksWorld Camper & Bus.

The work that has been done on these are breath taking absolutely amazing to look at ( a sight for sore eyes ) brilliant

1 day i will pimp out my VW

No pics but I have some updates.
I have bought a second hand engine to use in the bus whilst I sort the build on the new 1641, I had a few issues with some of the supplied parts, and whilst I have managed to get the issues sorted, I was just too impatient to get it back on the road.
So, bought the engine and thought I'd wang it straight in.
Nope, it came with a dynamo and my van has been converted to run an alternator, so that was something that I needed to swap out on my engine.
It's in now, even though it had to come out again as I had the wrong front tin fitted, but is sorted now.
I spent the day yesterday running new fuel lines from the tank to the carb, fitting my Buttys Bits kit, I bolted up my VS exhaust and did an oil change too as the old fuel pump had dumped a load of petrol in to the oil. I'm glad I did though as the oil looked like it hadn't been changed in a while.

So jobs to do this week are:- reconnect the engine bay electrics, check the timing, bolt on the rear valance and bumper, check the valve gaps, spin it up to check it makes oil pressure, then put some fuel in the tank and then see if she fires.
I'm going to book an MOT for next Saturday morning so I've got to pull finger out.
I'm off to Oktoberfest, so that gives me a week of using it for work and giving it a shake down to check all is well.

Excited? Hell YES!

After a week of getting straight on the Bus as soon as I got home from work I managed to get it to the MOT station for Friday.

I took it off the road almost exactly 2 years ago to do a couple of little jobs and never seemed to get them done, or they escalated in to something that was out of my comfort zone to tackle alone.
Anyway, it passed! I was stoked, and although it wasn't running quite right I was able to collect my son from football training on Friday evening in it.

I asked a mate for some help and he came over earlier. Turns out I'd pulled the throttle cable too tight, it had no cut off solenoid connected or choke connected.
With that sorted the timing was retarded a little and we were off.

Super stoked to get it back on the road, and I now plan to get back in to the brand new 1641 engine build......

I've also got my Eberspacher to plumb in....but in the mean time I'm just going to drive it and enjoy it

Took it out today and it was hesitating/bogging down when I went to pull away unless I blipped the throttle before hand. Went home and tweaked the timing by little more than a gnats ball-sack but it made all the difference.
I always have to rush back from work on a Monday so not going to take it in tomorrow, instead plan to drive it in on Tuesday, as I can try and get it on the 2 poster in the workshop at the end of the day to do another oil change on it and also put it on the gas analyser.

If all goes well I'll be using it on Friday too, then driving down to Oktoberfest in Devon after work. So pleased to have it back as being useable.

After 2 years of seeing it sat in the garage it is now well and truly back on the road!
Drove from Weston down to Oktoberfest and it didn't miss a beat.
So so pleased.
Time to crack on with my complete new engine now!

All set up for a weekend of camping shenanigans

Even put it in the Show n Shine!

And really enjoyed the cruise back on Sunday afternoon

Nice one, you've got an awesome bus there dude glad it's back on the road for you 8)

Now Photobucket is working again I can catch up with where I am.

This post is a compilation of copy and paste's from my club forum.

Jul 31 2016
So, a slight problem with the bearings for the main end on the new engine build means that I've got to wait for new bearings to come in.
After freeing up some funds form selling stuff in the garage I bought the engine that Tom Smith has just taken out of the green body dropped Early Bay.
It came with a dynamo fitted and I was about to fit it and fudge the electrics temporarily but I decided to fit an alternator to it.

So, this morning I went out to swap the over. After removing the fan housing and the fuel pump I discovered another issue.
The oil under the fuel pump in the block was stinking of petrol.

I'm assuming it is the diaphragm in the fuel pump gone.
I've got a couple of options, I can either rob the fuel pump from the old engine, or, go ahead and fit the electric pump and regulator that I intend to use with the new, new engine......

Oct 8 2017

Fuel pump is mounted, relay and electrics sorted and in place.
Priming button mounted.
Heater tubes fitted, although I think I need to reword/remount my hot start relay.
Got the new throttle cable fitted too.
Just needs the engine putting in place now, 2 man job as it’s on a stand and I can’t lift the fecker off on my own. All in hand though go, hopefully this week!!!!

Oct 13 2017
Got these puppies wired up and working today.

Just need to check this works and wire it up and the dash/front end electrics will be sorted.

Oct 22 2017
So although I meant to get out there this morning Mrs C has arranged a double glazing bloke to come and talk to use as we want replace our scabby front door
I didn't get out there until 2pm, but the got the clutch sorted, the front tinware bolted up and then with a bit of a struggle I got the engine in the engine bay.
I need a hand to get the heater pipes lined up as well as the engine/gearbox.
Stefan is popping round Tuesday after work so that should be sorted then.
Just need to sort the fuel hose from the fuel pump to the carb, the throttle cable and the electrics.
Then it's on with the oil filler, the exhaust and the rear engine bar.
New oil pipes to be cut to length once I sort the route and whether or not the oil lines need protecting with exhaust wrap from the heat of the exhaust.
Hopefully I'll knock a hole in the jobs Tuesday night and then finish them off Friday afternoon and get it back down on its wheels.
This is where it currently sits.....

Oct 29 2017
Got the nearside exhaust wrapped this afternoon to help stop the oil lines getting too hot.

I'm wondering if I have put the fuel pump a little too close to the hat exchanger though. The bend on the fuel hose was a little too tight too I think.

I just need to mount this monster!! I'm thinking about possibly mounting to the chassis in front of the metal mud guard, although the guard will need trimming to allow access for the 'IN' hose and the pressure sensor.

May 23 2018!!!!
After a considerable hiatus from this I am now back on it!
Everything was going swimmingly until the onset of the cold weather and me dropping my bloody worklights.
This lead to the old girl living outside all winter, up on stands on the drive.
I have had to sort the garage as it was like a bloody hand grenade had been thrown in there!

So, we're back on it.

First off I painted the inner face of the stone guard that I'd had made up.

I then mounted the filter and attached the pressure sender. It's all bit clumsy but it'll do the job.

I am now waiting for some p-clips to arrive from ebay so I can route the oil lines to make sure they aren't flapping around like a dogs cock in a sock.
Once I'm happy with the route I'll cut the new lines to length and fit everything up.

As Shorty as pointed out the fuel line is close to the exchanger so I plan to sheath (snigger) the line after rotating the fuel pump a bit.

Then it's a case of finishing the worry gauge loom and wiring up the fuel pump feed. I've got some flexi trunking to run the electrics in, over on the right hand side of the engine bay to tidy it all up.

The fuel line behind the fan housing needs clipping in place, and the throttle linkage on the left hand carb needs swapping out for a left hand linkage as they are both currently fitted with a right hand set up.

Throttle cable guide then to go on, all bolts/nuts to be checked for tightness, charge the battery and fit up the rear tinware and we might, just might be ready to drive her off the drive for the first time in a year!

Wow - caught up with your catch up ;)

Sounds like you have made progress so well done.

Latest posts