Moose the '72

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just been moving my daughter's "stuff" between Uni accommodations

I did wonder at one point if it would all fit but we just about managed it :lol:

Decided to fit an electric washer pump as the original system wouldn't hold any pressure for longer than a day, it would get me through the mot but the rest of the time I had no washers .
I saw Doris' s excellent "how to" to convert the switch and thought I'd have a go.
I bought a pump kit on eBay that included the pump, hose and none return valve for about£12 and 3 micro switches for £3.
The pump should be fitted below the washer container so that it stays primed so I decided to mount it on the bottom of the tank using a sticky pad and zip ties.

I took the switch off and had to trim the end to fit the micro switch.

I had to make the hole slightly larger and then screwed in the new switch

All wired up and going back in

Quite pleased with the finished result as it still looks stock but with a decent flow of water to the screen :D

Going through the camper getting ready for hols and got underneath to check the rear brakes and this is what I found

Both cv boots on the near side are completely split and the pair on the off side are cracked but not quite split through yet, the frustrating thing is that I only replaced them last year and they have done less than 2k miles. You may have seen my thread moaning about the poor quality, Alex from Vwheritage certainly did and he contacted me and within a couple of days I had 4 New boots foc, pretty good customer service I'd say :D

I took the complete drive shaft off, this has got to be one of the messiest jobs to do even though it is quite straightforward.

Swapped and refitted, that's the near side done, weather permitting I'll do the off side tomorrow.
It's odd the ns was worse than the os perhaps it's because of more road spray hitting them ?

gninnam said:
Good result and I hope these are better quality than the last ones.

:lol: you and me both Andy, not the nicest of jobs unless you like black grease.

Started packing today for our trip tomorrow,
First time I've used our new roof bag, it's surprising how much will actually go in there.

Just got back from 4 nights at Trevayne Farm
A really nice site between Saundersfoot and Tenby,
Tenby North beach is one of our favourites, the bus ran really well the only hiccup being the speedo cable snapping the night before we came home.

Hi, always drawn to threads about 72's as I have one too. Just read your posts from start to finish and very impressed by the amount of work you've put into your bus, great stuff!

Just wondered if you ever got to the bottom of the fuel smell you mentioned near the beginning? You said it was mainly after driving on roads that made the fuel slosh from side to side. This is very similar sounding to a problem I had... did you know there is a small piece of fuel hose on the fuel breather/vent pipe that lives in the left hand side air intake/vent.... Have you checked/replaced this too as it's often forgotten and always perished! It's hard to see but if you stick your head in the engine bay and then as far over to the left as possible you should just see it as you look upwards and forwards passed the spare wheel well. Alternatively stick a bright light in the engine bay and then from the outside look down inside the air intake vent and you should see what I'm talking about.... It's only about an inch long piece of hose but if perished or split will give you a petrol smell.... Or worse leak fuel, especially when brimming the tank (as mine did) or when hard right turning. Worth a check. ;)

Hi Dan, thanks for your kind words.
I haven't really sorted the petrol smell out, a p.o. had cut an inspection hatch above the fuel tank sender so I replaced the gasket and it did make a bit of difference but still if the tank is over 3/4 full and I'm on twisty roads it starts to smell. I haven't checked the pipe you suggest but definitely will, thanks for the heads up. Nick.

No worries :D

If you take the rear left light cluster out and look straight through you will see it. I trawled the internet to find a picture for you and hope this shows it better, circled. Hope the owner of this van doesn't mind me re-using their image :roll:

Had a look in the engine bay today at the pipe identified by Camperdan, good call Dan this is what I found

I wouldn't have found this on my own :roll: so thanks Dan 8) it was then just a 5 minute job to swap this with a piece of new fuel hose.
I haven't tried filling up with fuel to check yet as I've been asked to help out at a wedding next week by taking the Bridesmaids to the church and then on to the reception and don't want it stinking if there is something else as well that needs sorting, don't think that would go down too well :lol:

Another job done this weekend is the replacement of the speedo cable.

Got this from VWHeritage and it came nice and quickly as usual.

The cable already fitted had a spring pin to secure the cable but the new cable uses a circlip, just as well I spotted this in the listing and ordered it as well :D normally I don't spot these things until fitting :roll:
I taped a length of guy rope to the old cable before I pulled it out then taped the new cable to this so I could pull it back through.

The old cable had chafed through the plastic coating letting in water and causing the inner to rust and eventually snap.

Overall quite straightforward to do and I now have a nice smooth speedo that doesn't flicker about :D although the petrol gauge has decided to stop working again :roll:

Well did my chauffeuring duties yesterday, the van didn't miss a beat, got the bridesmaids to the church on time, then on to the reception where there were a few pics with the bride and groom 8)
IMG_20140809_131432_zpsjnsc9f8v.jpg
[/URL
Even the petrol gauge started working again :mrgreen:

Passed the mot today, I didn't have to do anything since I serviced it at the beginning of July :mrgreen:

NickJ said:
Passed the mot today, I didn't have to do anything since I serviced it at the beginning of July :mrgreen:

Congrats dude, got mine last sat so feeling the vibe :)
Liam

lemur said:
NickJ said:

Congrats dude, got mine last sat so feeling the vibe :)
Liam

Cheers, nice feeling :mrgreen:

faux said:
Wow Nick, I can't believe the transformation.

Thanks Jon :D , I quite like the look at the moment but the black roof wasn't the best idea when the sun shines :roll: it's baking in the back.

Latest posts