Moose the '72

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the mechanical jobs I had to do was to replace the anti roll bar, the last time I drove it in september last year I was going down constitution hill in Swansea and heard a loud knock , when I got home this was what I found

the roll bar had actually snapped, straight forward to replace though, just dressed the ends of the new bar will a file to ease them through the rubber mounting blocks which I sat in hot water for a few minutes to soften up.
I'm almost ready for the mot now so hopefully next week :D

Well went in for the mot yesterday, failed on the hand brake drivers side, so that's todays job, my welding passed without comment which i'm pleased with as this was the first time i'd done a structural repair (both sills) rather than a little patch.

While adjusting the brakes I noticed that the cv boots were cracking quite badly so swapped three of the four over, one was fine even though they were all replaced together not that long ago really.
This is the third time I've done this job in the last 5 years :evil: , another thing to go on the list of cr@p replacment parts, this has got to be one of the dirtiest jobs to do , so no photos sorry. These boots are made by Meyle and I've used Febi previously so we'll see how well these last.

Whistler said:
Congrats on the almost pass! Hopefully this week it will go through?

I can't wait to the MOT day for us, going to be a horrible day!

Cheers , just adjusted the rear shoes and tweaked the handbrake cables, then :party0003: :party0003:

passed

and no advisories so that was a nice bonus :D

It certainly makes for a stressfull time the mot !

I had some fun getting the bus to run right, got a reasonable idle but didn't really want to rev, I've still got what looks to be very fine rust coming through which the filter is catching, carb has been off and cleaned several times now, went out sunday to some friends about 10 miles away drove okish there but when we came to leave there was no idle at all and as soon as I took my foot off it just died, so I was like a boy racer reving the nuts off it through town just to keep going :oops: so carb came off again this morning and I found the accelerator pump circuit was completely blocked, cleaned it out with 1 strand of bicycle gear cable as the carb cleaner wouldn't shift it, all back together and running as well as ever :D but I think the tank is going to have to come out to be cleaned properly and the inside sealed to stop the rust unless anyone has any other tips for this insitu ?
One benefit of this is that now I can remove and strip the carb in about 10 mins :roll:

Fitted my new gear knob that I had off aogrady on here, Cheers Alistair,

Really pleased, it's a bit taller than the standard scat handle so brings it a bit closer to hand when driving :D

NickJ said:
Fitted my new gear knob that I had off aogrady on here, Cheers Alistair,

Really pleased, it's a bit taller than the standard scat handle so brings it a bit closer to hand when driving :D

Hi!

Looks nice, sits well there with the black kick panels, hmm, got me thinking now....!

Cheers!

Alistair

Congratulations on the MOT Nick! I can't wait for that day to be honest. FINALLY get a drive in her! I just can't believe how the time flies when doing this type of thing.

Love the gear knob!

Whistler said:
Congratulations on the MOT Nick! I can't wait for that day to be honest. FINALLY get a drive in her! I just can't believe how the time flies when doing this type of thing.

Love the gear knob!

Thanks :mrgreen: I did feel like I wasn't ever going to get there at times but really enjoying driving it again after a stuttering start (literally) :lol:
I was lucky that I didn't have as much to do as you, but just treat each job as a separate target and don't dwell too long on the overall "to do" list and you'll get there before you know it :D

Started to insulate my heater pipes ready for the cooler weather , I hope this will make a bit of difference .

Out and about today with a trip over to Aberystwyth to take some of my daughters stuff ready for the new "Uni" year, stopped off at Glandyfi on the way home

The van seems to be going well and it's good fun driving it again :D will have a trip down to Swansea soon to take my niece and all her stuff to Uni as well.

NickJ said:

Started to insulate my heater pipes ready for the cooler weather , I hope this will make a bit of difference .

Looks like good work on the heat exchangers, is that normal bubble wrap foil stuff, like what you use behind the radiators at home?

It's something I'd quite like to do, and get some before and after runs out of the top vents, though as i have a Propex, this helps. Would be keen to see how you find it, it certainly cant be any worse?!

I found this in my links...

http://www.insulationandlagging.co.uk/Pipe-Insulation-Lagging/20mm-Thick-Kooltherm-Phenolic-Pipe-Insulation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers!

Alistair

aogrady said:
NickJ said:

Looks like good work on the heat exchangers, is that normal bubble wrap foil stuff, like what you use behind the radiators at home?

It's something I'd quite like to do, and get some before and after runs out of the top vents, though as i have a Propex, this helps. Would be keen to see how you find it, it certainly cant be any worse?!

I found this in my links...

http://www.insulationandlagging.co.uk/Pipe-Insulation-Lagging/20mm-Thick-Kooltherm-Phenolic-Pipe-Insulation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers!

Alistair
Hi Alistair, yes it is the bubble wrapped foil, so far I've just wrapped the Y pipe at the back, the long central tube & the smaller pipe that goes to the walk through vent, I've used gardening wire to fix it in place. It's not been too cold so far for a proper trial, but it does feel a bit warmer coming out of the vents, but then it could be just my hopeful imagination :lol: . I'll update on this as the year progresses.

DSCF3067_zps8d979e12.jpg

Are those magnets? Not seen those before, they're a brilliant idea!!!

niklee1 said:
DSCF3067_zps8d979e12.jpg

Are those magnets? Not seen those before, they're a brilliant idea!!!
Hi, yes they are magnets, they were a good help to get the initial tack weld on. But they do need quite careful positioning as the do have a tendency to slide or fall over side ways :roll:
Got them from my local tool / general store Rolson brand so you should find them fairly easily, quite cheap and worth having in your tool box.

NickJ said:
aogrady said:
NickJ said:
I've just done a Rustoleum respray and bought 5 ltr of cream & 1 ltr black for the roof, 8 ltr of white spirit, approx.£80 total and still got some of each left over :D , about half the white spirit was used for cleaning the spray gun.

Got pics then? Surely you documented the proof?

Cheers!

Alistair

:lol: You've just posted on my gallery thread, go back a couple of pages :lol:

And here we are, I must have missed that, looks well, did it go on ok? I fancy doing my pop top sometime....

Cheers,

Alistair

Alistair[/quote]

:lol: You've just posted on my gallery thread, go back a couple of pages :lol:[/quote]

And here we are, I must have missed that, looks well, did it go on ok? I fancy doing my pop top sometime....

Cheers,

Alistair[/quote]
Hi Alistair, It wasn't too bad but it was the first time I've done this so it was quite a steep learning curve. I think I'll have to do a proper review and get a few more pics together, although it went on the pop top quite well.
Nick.

Hi,

I think i need to remove the roof complete as i think the wooden supports are iffy, and some cracking around bolt fixing holes, propabaly a job lot of fibreglass strenthening, but i think the Rustoleum would work well as a cover up, I'm figuring a rub down on top, then a few coats of Rustoleum should suffce.

Cheers,

Alistair

Latest posts