Moose the '72

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickJ

Reaction score
Well I have finally got round to starting a proper thread about my camper "Moose" which I bought off Dave & Heather who have now become good friends.
Dolgellausep07009.jpg

This was how he looked when I got him at the end of April with about 4 weeks MOT left and to my shame I still haven't finished the jobs to get him through the next one, I have only driven him in and out of the drive a couple of times :oops:
Driveway072008.jpg

I'm not very structured in my approach to these jobs either :lol: as you can see the new tail gate that I fitted before getting the brakes sorted. Although these have been done now with help and advice from you guys, thanks :D

Nice one Nick

Good to see Moose has a thread of his own. I'm sure you be out and about next summer, camping with the rest of us. 8)

Cheers Jon, I hope so.
Here are a couple more "before" pics
Rearseatcupboard.jpg

Cooker1.jpg

I bought a couple of Devon units off ebay which have now gone in.

Using my scatter gun approach to doing jobs here are a couple of pics of the vitally important job of making a new table :lol:
Tablelegfitting.jpg

SurfTable.jpg

Then I got back to the proper task of getting Moose ready for the MOT. The front seat belts needed replacing so I got a pair from Machine7 passenger side went in ok but thought the drivers side fitting above the arch looked a bit too uneven and a little crusty by the captive nut. So started digging with a screw driver and found rusty previous repairs on top of rusty original metal mixed in with seam sealer, filler & underseal. Got the grinder out to clean it up for a proper look.
Seatbeltmountos.jpg

Cabarchholeos.jpg

As you can see there is a hole that still needs to be a bit bigger yet.
This is this weeks job :roll:

Nice table dooder. Now is the perfect time to tub them arches :wink:

Thanks easy, but with the speed I work it would take another 5 years to get through the MOT if I started tubbing, the council seem to be sprouting speed humps everywhere round here now as well :evil:

I got the rest of the hole cut out today,
Fullholeoswheelarch.jpg

And then had a go at a card template for the steel repair
Templateoswheelarch.jpg

I went to see a friend who runs a small garage to see where I could get some steel and he has offered me some off cuts and a welding lesson 8)
With a bit of luck and practice this might be the end of the pidgeon dropping welding :lol:

Well the welding has started but is still a bit "pidgeon dropping" like but getting better ish
Patchwelding.jpg

This was done on a borrowed "gasless" welder but I have just bought a gas/gasless welder off ebay so hopefully this will get better using the gas and more practice.

Thought it was time for a bit of an update :oops: got the welding finished and the seatbelts fitted.
Replaced the head lights today as the reflectors had started to corrode, lucky find in my shed a pair of headlamp units I bought off ebay about 5 years ago :D I'll get some photos up soon.
Still got to get the horn to work though :x

Hi Jon, if all goes to plan you will :D
Just got the Beetle through the MOT yesterday so going to try to press on with Moose now.

Got all the lights working now, and ended up wiring in a switch for the horn so that is working as well, couldn't quite get my head round why the horn push on the steering wheel wasn't working but I will come back to that later.
So I think I'm getting somewhere near MOT time :D

Cheers, it's a bit of a juggling act sometimes family, cars & work trying to fit it all in but I hope to be at BusTypes :D with a road legal camper although still quite a bit to do on the interior but then heh ho :lol:

Latest posts