"rubber" cab steps..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DYNG

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Devon
So, I took my bumpers off to have them resprayed and carefully removed the 53 year old once rubber cab steps. Not too much effort. Have just spent an hour and a half getting them back on to the repainted bumpers, skinning two knuckles in the process. Not that I plan on doing it again, but any tips? I left them on a radiator for ten mins before I attempted the job as I thought it might make it easier. Nope.

Warm / hot water really does soften them up then just gently keeping them warmed with my hot air gun helped. T.C.P. Is about as good as you can get for helping those bad knuckles but if you’re a grrt big Jesse, you can use savlon cream. That’s what all the little girls in our family use.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,Or I’ll send you some gloves next time :) ;) :)

Warm / hot water really does soften them up then just gently keeping them warmed with my hot air gun helped. T.C.P. Is about as good as you can get for helping those bad knuckles but if you’re a grrt big Jesse, you can use savlon cream. That’s what all the little girls in our family use.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,Or I’ll send you some gloves next time :) ;) :)
Next time??!! Ain't doing that again..

I had no problem installing new footstep rubber. I think that I sprayed some silicone schmutz on the underside. Certainly, you’re not re-using the 53-year-old ones? Are you? Tell me you’re not.

I had no problem installing new footstep rubber. I think that I sprayed some silicone schmutz on the underside. Certainly, you’re not re-using the 53-year-old ones? Are you? Tell me you’re not.
Yep, I am, the rubber is FAIRLY hard but cleaned up ok.

I re-used mine as I want to keep as much of the original bitvas possible. Fid have fun getting them back though. Woukd probably stuggle now that I have office working hands 😀😃

I appreciate everyone’s candor, your commendable commitment to reusing scarce resources and keeping the original bitvas possible, truly I do.

I might add, however (and I mean this in the nicest possible way) that you’re also a bunch of exceptionally thrifty cheap bastards.

Carry on. I’ll be the one muttering over here in the corner with my new rubber cab steps.

I appreciate everyone’s candor, your commendable commitment to reusing scarce resources and keeping the original bitvas possible, truly I do.

I might add, however (and I mean this in the nicest possible way) that you’re also a bunch of exceptionally thrifty cheap bastards.

Carry on. I’ll be the one muttering over here in the corner with my new rubber cab steps.
I was actually wondering if that was gonna get a mention along with the Brit attitude of make do and mend. That and the fact that most stuff you buy as replacements are tending to be made of Choccolatte or Mushmellows and sometimes mixed into an alloy sprinkled with Chinesium of the finest quality .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,cheap??? Possibly :) :ROFLMAO: :)

Latest posts