Moose the '72

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitted my new heater controls this evening, it really makes a difference very pleased with the result of one of the easiest jobs so far :D

Had a problem with the passenger side front side window, handle turned but didn't move the glass, on inspection the lifter channel had completely corroded and split in 2 pieces. I had a bit of steel sheet in the shed so thought I'd try to fabricated new one, forgot to take pics during this :oops: made the channel, then drilled out the spot welds on the old bracket and and welded it to the new channel .
Here it is fitted and seems to work ok :D

Nice fix - shame you had no pics of the fabrication as one of mine is beyond repair.............. :D

NickJ said:
Using my scatter gun approach to doing jobs here are a couple of pics of the vitally important job of making a new table :lol:
Tablelegfitting.jpg

Does anyone have or know where I can get a round bracket for my table?

subheatadey said:
NickJ said:
Using my scatter gun approach to doing jobs here are a couple of pics of the vitally important job of making a new table :lol:
Tablelegfitting.jpg

Does anyone have or know where I can get a round bracket for my table?
Mine came with the van but I think it originally came from Ikea .

gninnam said:
Nice fix - shame you had no pics of the fabrication as one of mine is beyond repair.............. :D

Hi Andy, it was quite straightforward really, cut a piece to approx. Size then bent it over in the workmate using locking pliers, I got a cheap set of hammers and dollies off fleabay and I used these to straighten it up, after welding the bracket on I sprayed it with zinc . Nick.

Not sure of the actual gauge but I think it was the stuff JK sell 1.2mm thick.

NickJ said:
Not sure of the actual gauge but I think it was the stuff JK sell 1.2mm thick.

Cheers - will see what I have in my stash and have a go (sometime this year....)

NickJ said:
Going through the camper getting ready for hols and got underneath to check the rear brakes and this is what I found

Both cv boots on the near side are completely split and the pair on the off side are cracked but not quite split through yet, the frustrating thing is that I only replaced them last year and they have done less than 2k miles. You may have seen my thread moaning about the poor quality, Alex from Vwheritage certainly did and he contacted me and within a couple of days I had 4 New boots foc, pretty good customer service I'd say :D
hi I bought some from mega bug they only lasted 7 months not a happy bunny
I took the complete drive shaft off, this has got to be one of the messiest jobs to do even though it is quite straightforward.

Swapped and refitted, that's the near side done, weather permitting I'll do the off side tomorrow.
It's odd the ns was worse than the os perhaps it's because of more road spray hitting them ?

Hi John, my replacements are genuine vw so hopefully they will last a bit longer but I tried a few different makes previously and wasn't very impressed.
You should give mega bug a call and see what they have to say about them.

Had a run out this afternoon, first stop in Aberdovey.
Then on to Tywyn for a coffee.

Parked up at Bustypes

Didn't seem to be quite as much in the show ring this year though.

I decided my kick panels needed a bit of an update as they were just mdf covered with sticky backed plastic :oops: and starting to look very tired.
I'd got some 3mm ply off cuts in the shed from a cupboard I'm restoring.

Just went round the old one and cut out with a coping saw.

Here they are trial fitted, just need a coat of varnish now :D

I've been toying with the idea of some more comfortable seats for quite some time and these came up on fleabay local to me for a good price, they're from an early 80's Honda Civic, when I went to pick them up the owner was a bit disappointed that I wasn't restoring a civic but he was an enthusiast so was ok about it as at least they were being used.

They were quite easy to fit, had to drill 4 holes for the runners but they are a similar height to standard perhaps a tad taller so still a similar driving position.

Latest posts