• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Group Buy - Firetec fire extinguishers for engine bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so far we have the following:

1) Adamski
2) Graham L
3) Graham L
4) SuperDan
5) mjknight71
6) Doris
7) Cotswoldiver
8 ) Jacksoncaddy
9) RustyLee

Currently £128.80 (plus £15 split across all units) with 20% discount.

plus the cost of switches (£20) and Chaffegaurd (£18)

Specify the type of installation:
1 - Upright on LH chassis leg
2 - horizontally on LH chassis leg
3 - horizontally under engine compartment ‘roof’.
(must state if under-roof configuration is required - as they need to configure specially for this)

Regarding collection, who would be able to pick these up from the Volksworld show?

Please let me know by Wednesday PM, and I am willing to place the order, pay for it, then collect the money afterwards from you (on collection).

I don't think we are going to reach the high discount:
9) Cunning Plan (ONLY iF 40% highest discount is met)

adamski said:

1) Adamski
2) Graham L
3) Graham L
4) SuperDan
5) mjknight71
6) Doris
7) Cotswoldiver
8 ) Jacksoncaddy
9) RustyLee
10)Windsurfer

(must state if under-roof configuration is required - as they need to configure specially for this)

YOU FORGOT WINDSURFER! I'M NOT SURE WHICH TYPE OF INSTALLATION I NEED THOUGH? OH YEAH, I CAN COLLECT AT VOLKSWORLD
CHEERS
SIMON

adamski said:
I don't think we are going to reach the high discount:
9) Cunning Plan (ONLY iF 40% highest discount is met)

Okay no worries, right now I have to spend the big cash on welding etc :roll: So maby something for me to get when its all done..

Hope you guys get a good discount though..

:party0021:

I've read on the previous group buy about a dash indicator - Can someone clarify what is or isn't an option on the dash. Ideally, I'd like a green 'all's OK' lamp - is this possible?

Cheers - Rob

So you'll be wanting the N/O switch option, supply your own wiring and LED/lamp.....

Personally I prefer the activation of a red alarm light, coupled with a test switch to confirm the supply to the switch is still present, the problem with lights permanantly on is you glance by them..... sudden lights in your eyeline cause you to look....

It would be even better with another 3 systems purchased, takes the discount up for everyone to 30%

Cut off point for placing the order is tomorrow

Thanks adamski

windsurfer said:
adamski said:

1) Adamski
2) Graham L
3) Graham L
4) SuperDan
5) mjknight71
6) Doris
7) Cotswoldiver
8 ) Jacksoncaddy
9) RustyLee
10)Windsurfer

YOU FORGOT WINDSURFER! I'M NOT SURE WHICH TYPE OF INSTALLATION I NEED THOUGH? OH YEAH, I CAN COLLECT AT VOLKSWORLD
CHEERS
SIMON

Could someone confirm the best way to mount these, looking at Tofufi's installation I presume that is counted as upright on LH Chassis Leg?

CIMG8236.jpg

Are people ordering Chafeguard and switches or not, presumably these could be bought afterwards if needed?

I'm happy to order an additional 3 if it helps as I'm sure people will come along asking for them once the bulk buy is over, can't stretch to ordering an addition 15 though so sorry cunning

Graham that is indeed the upright ( upright and horizontal are identical)

the roof fit can be positioned in all three orientations however the indicator reads better when hung from the bay roof.

you will need to stipulate and purchase the switch and gaurd at the time of order deffinately not retro fit. (though you'll get away with the switch once you've discharged the contents of the bottle and have it recharged)

Araon
This is the 'official' speil from Tim this afternoon, can you translate into real laymans terms on the warning system

Chafegard:
Protects the tube from squashing and impact. Does not interfere with detection and discharge. Does NOT protect from sharp edges which can protrude between the coils. Can short wiring.

LEDs:
n/o switch is closed under pressure. When the power to a green LED is routed via a n/o switch (and a fuse) the LED stays on when there is power, the wiring is intact, the fuse is OK, the LED is OK and the pressure in the cylinder is above 5 bar.

n/c is open under pressure and only closes completing the circuit when the pressure drops. Thus a red LED in that circuit will only come when the pressure has fallen, providing that the battery, wiring, fuse, and LED are all OK. If choosing a red LED circuit you should include a test switch to bridge the switch contacts to check that the red LED and wiring etc. is OK.

Araon said:
Graham that is indeed the upright ( upright and horizontal are identical)

the roof fit can be positioned in all three orientations however the indicator reads better when hung from the bay roof.

you will need to stipulate and purchase the switch and gaurd at the time of order deffinately not retro fit. (though you'll get away with the switch once you've discharged the contents of the bottle and have it recharged)

Hes pretty much given you it in laymans...

the green all OK version (remember its only the the switch you get) when pressurised is closed illuminating light of choice.

the red, fuck, shitting hell the vans on fire, when pressurised is open and will only close below 3 bar if my memory is working, but if your running this then it is adviseable to connect a confidence switch across the terminals of the bottle switch so that you can test the cct once in a while from the comfort of the drivers seat......

cotswoldiver said:
LEDs:
n/o switch is closed under pressure. When the power to a green LED is routed via a n/o switch (and a fuse) the LED stays on when there is power, the wiring is intact, the fuse is OK, the LED is OK and the pressure in the cylinder is above 5 bar.

Thanks guys - I understand now! :)

1) Adamski
2) Graham L
3) Graham L
4) SuperDan
5) mjknight71
6) Doris - mounting horizontally under engine compartment ‘roof’,AFFF,chaffe guard & N/O switch set up please.
7) Cotswoldiver
8 ) Jacksoncaddy
9) RustyLee
10)Windsurfer

Thanks Araon
I wasn't sure what n/o and n/c meant, but I'm guessing is normally open and normally closed?

Araon said:
Hes pretty much given you it in laymans...

the green all OK version (remember its only the the switch you get) when pressurised is closed illuminating light of choice.

the red, fuck, shitting hell the vans on fire, when pressurised is open and will only close below 3 bar if my memory is working, but if your running this then it is adviseable to connect a confidence switch across the terminals of the bottle switch so that you can test the cct once in a while from the comfort of the drivers seat......

N/O - normally open without any external influence
N/C - normally closed without any external influence

all the past orders went for the N/C, not sure wether that was more to do with me opting to go that way... I personally find the startling affect of a red lamp lit suddenly is more alarming....

Know what you mean
I have a red lamp in the middle of the top of the dash board in my 'new' westy. Haven't investigated what it was set up for or if its wired. But just wondered if I could utilise that. As you will have gathered from my layman's question electris also pass me by at the moment. Roll on the workshop.

The 'old' westy also had a hole in exactly the same place, but no led looking bulb. Wasn't sure if it was set up for a dummy alarm system. Oh the joys of discovering all that new in a new bus! Got excited on Saturday when I found the tool bag roll under the seat - complete with all tools!

Araon said:

all the past orders went for the N/C, not sure wether that was more to do with me opting to go that way... I personally find the startling affect of a red lamp lit suddenly is more alarming....

Araon said:

providing the 'external influence' in this case is the discharge,low pressure or fault in the fire tec system - I'm confused now!!

I've opted for the N/O switch - soley based on the info posted here, however, I find this confusing as, as far as I understood switches, this is my understanding.....

N/C (normally closed) would make a curcuit - therefore keeping an LED lit under NORMAL conditions.If there was external influence (discharge,low pressure etc) the switch would open and stop the flow of current to the green led, thereby advising of an issue with the firetec system.

NO (normally open) would not make a curcuit under normal conditions, only when tripped (by external influence = low pressure, discharge etc) would the switch close, make the curcuit and light the Red lamp!!??

-have I missed something?
-Am I right in thinking, a switch will be making a curcuit, allowing current to flow when 'closed' ?

I'm bloody confused,

Simple question to Araon, does N/C mean no light on the dash unless the extinguisher goes off but if you wire a switch in line you can check the light is functioning

Doris simple mistake to make in this instance

Normally closed is switch normally closed without external influence however in this instance when the bottle is charged it provides a permanant external influence in that the bottle pressure retains the switch in the open, drops to about 3 bar/less then the switch reverts to its N/C state making the cct.

Normally open invert the above statement...

N/C will mean no lamp till the switch is activated, strap the switch (N/O) across the bottle terminals for confidence test....

Dear All,

If you want to make it easier you can specify if you want the 'green light' switch (on all the time, unless extinguisher goes off) or 'red light', to let you know an oh shit moment!

Graham L - do you want to stick with 2 or 3?

Thanks

->Adam

Doris said:

1) Adamski - horizontal,AFFF,chaffe guard & N/O (green)
2) Graham L
3) Graham L
4) SuperDan
5) mjknight71
6) Doris - mounting horizontally under engine compartment ‘roof’,AFFF,chaffe guard & N/O switch set up please.
7) Cotswoldiver
8 ) Jacksoncaddy
9) RustyLee
10)Windsurfer
11) Hutch (not on earlybay, but a splitty owner mate of Adamski)

Adam

I still want the 2 I;ve ordered but was offering to out the additional 3 we needed to get the next level of discount into 'stock' and sell it on at the same price to anyone after the bulk buy had gone, this would mean weall get the 30% discount.

I see your mate has now being added to the list so happy to buy the extra 2 as well as my 2 to make it up to 13, hope that makes sense

1) Adamski - horizontal,AFFF,chaffe guard & N/O (green)
2) Graham L - Upright AFFF, chaffe guard & N/C (Red)
3) Graham L - Upright AFFF, chaffe guard & N/C (Red)
4) SuperDan
5) mjknight71
7) Cotswoldiver
8 ) Jacksoncaddy
9) RustyLee
10)Windsurfer
11) Hutch (not on earlybay, but a splitty owner mate of Adamski)
12) Graham L (Held in Stock) - Upright AFFF, chaffe guard & N/C (Red)
13 Graham L (Held in Stock) - Upright AFFF, chaffe guard & N/C (Red)

Latest posts