71 Early Bay, formerly know as 'SuperDry'

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All gone? :shock:

Brave move, but one I fully support. 8)

So, I've finally got round to making a start on the winter list.......
Had to get the garage try first.
Now that's done it was up on stands, and bumper etc off.

Engine lid seal out, valance off and VS Exhaust off.

Another mod that needs doing is I need some additional clearance from the engine support bar for the exhaust. I'm going to ask around to see what other people do but it may be a trim with the grinder and then get a plate welded in.

Also found a couple of holes in the battery tray, so will get one ordered and get the rotten section cut out. Hopefully won't have to do the whole tray as I don't want to have to bugger about with sorting the paint on the outside corner.

That was it for this afternoon. Need to collect an engine stand and get a ratchet strap to support the gear box. Hopefully get them tomorrow and then do a bit more one night in the week.

Had a little dabble this evening.
Went through everything methodically to disconnect.
Fuel pipe, throttle cable, wires to alternator, heat exchanger cables.
Popped the air filters off.
Popped off the lower engine to gearbox nuts.
Then it came to the upper ones. Ferck me!!
I managed to get right hand bastard off in the end by using my old inspection mirror.
Then I removed the engine support bar, but I have one more to undo, but it was getting late and I ran out of time.
So I'm here at the moment, hopefully get back on with it in Sunday morning as I'm busy all day Saturday.

One of the guys from the club came round my gaff this morning to give me a hand for 15 mins.
Turns out the final bolt was missing, that's why I was struggling to locate it! :lol: :roll:

Anyway. The engine Bay now looks like this....

And I've got the engine on the stand I borrowed back off a mate that I gave it to.

Going to drop the fuel tank out in the morning and hopefully make a start on cleaning up the engine bay.

So some more work done today.

First job was to drain the fuel from the tank. I thought it was pretty empty but there was about 7 or 8 litres in there still

Got this as the dregs from the tank......think I need to replace the tank filter

Once the firewall was out I hesitantly got the tank out

I was relieved to see it was nice and solid.

With the tank out there was evidence of a some previous lodgers

Out with the dustpan and brush and got this little lot out of just the fuel tank area.

It looked better with just a brush out

Looks even better once I'd hoovered it out.

My next step will be to give it a proper clean up in there, with a dose of wax and then some wax oil to give it some protection. Odd that the shiniest part of the bus is the bit that will never get seen.

I have to confess, I did make a big cock up in getting the firewall out, I missed the fact there were 4 lower screws and thought it was stuck in place with sealant and bent it all to buggery getting it out.
A lesson learned. Gutted though that I have to get a new one as I creased the pressing so it's fecked.

Got a bit more done this evening.

First off was to get the garage a bit warmer.

Took the filler pipe right out, wanted to make sure there was no holes or major rust. Just seemed to be a little bit of surface.

I bought some replacement hose from Shorty when he did his.

With the inside of the filler neck wire brushed and given a rub over with some WD40 I put the silicone hose on.

I initially offered it back up to the hole but I think I'm going to struggle to get it in as the silicon hose is a good bit thicker than the braid covered pipe I took off. Might have to go back to the drawing board on this one as I don't fancy running it without a clamp on there.

I've also got to tackle this in daylight as this part of the garage is a bit dark and I've got more nuts to hoover out! :lol!:

I decided to make a start on the engine then.

Started taking out the tinware bolts, removed the fuel pipes, and then popped the carbs off.

Not sure if I'm going to put these back on or replace them with the 36IDF's I've got.

Then got the bottom pulley bolt out but need to buy a puller for the pulley itself. Another thing to add to the 'To Buy' list.

That's it for tonight. Not a huge amount of progress but i'm going to keep chipping away at it. Evenings (with the garage door closed and the heater on) will be engine work, and then when I have a play at weekends it will be focussing on the engine bay.

Some more work today.
First job was to get that pulley off, and then get the cylinder head shrouds off too.

Next was to drain the oil out.

Didn't look too good did it?

Fuel Pump push rod tube guide didn't look too healthy either

Or the end of the rod!

This is being ditched anyway as I'm going electric.

Wheeled the engine out then to try and clean up the case a bit

Looked a little bit better after a wipe down with some Gunk

Some of this needs to be replaced, some of it needs straightening. It ALL needs cleaning, blasting and powder coating!

Fucking VW's!!

Started on the top end tonight.
Popped out the plugs on 3 & 4.
Hmm, not good.

Whipped out the rockers and pushrods. Gotta make sure that they are numbered so they go back in the same location.

Time to whip the head off then.

Fuck me, that'll be why she was spitting oil at the back on a run then.....!!!

Texas Tea in number 4! :lol!:

Then the plan was to whip the valves springs off so I could check the valve guides and seals, which seem to be a bit Pete Tong!

My valve spring compressor seems to be a bag of shit though, so I chucked the towel in and resolved that I'll have to get someone to do that for me.

On to the other side.
Cylinder 1 didn't seem to bad.....

Not as bad as the other side.

Coked up a bit.

Lost my Mojo a bit then, so covered the barrels up, wiped the tools off and came inside for a large Gin and Tonic.

So that's it for tonight. Going to get the F-i-L to whip the valves out for me and get the guides and seals replaced whilst he's at it.

Cheers Buddy. Dropping the heads off with my Father in Law on Sunday to drop the valves out for me and then get the replacement guides pressed in.

Dropped the heads off with the Father in Law this evening when I dropped the T5 off for a service, AND a pair of tyres AND a flaming engine management light on the dash.

Anyway, he's going to pop the valves out for me and check if the guides are goosed. If so, he's going to get new ones fitted for me.

Bit pissed off as I wanted to do this myself too but sometimes you just have to except that you need help sometimes.

Heads are back with the valves out.

Had a wiggle and there was definitely some play there.
Marked up the valves so they go back in the head/barrel they came from.

Going to give this lot a clean out and then get the new guides and seal in.

Next step.

[youtube]VFhMY2ehnXo[/youtube]

Will get myself an old valve and an M8 tap and have a bash.

Thanks Alex. My momentum has slowed up a little as I've been busy recently but plan to crack on again over Christmas.

In the mean time, this came out today.

Latest posts