Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this just now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184335976998

Has that lovely Crossover inclusion. £40. Not a bad ‘buy it now’.....But there’s always a bit of a chance. £350 new or thereabouts otherwise isn’t it? I’ve got a box of odd ball left over wiring stuff that Paul said went nowhere. He looked at the loom and trimmed down to the essentials. Some of the inherent plastic boxes holding the Male/Female connectors were a bit welded too. Heat involved with loose connection melted the plastic. So much so, I turned the ignition key and nowt! Also. Lots of debris in those spade clips in mine. But. You’re a natural in all of this technical malarkey. I’m a scratch me head. 😆.

Good value but like you say, could be a risk - may be swapping something bad for something worse!!

Last night I had another look and pulled the indicator switch from the steering column and the dash binical so Icould check the wiring.
Very strange - I can see that the right cable connection (black/green) is always 12v, but the left cable connection (black/white) is at 0v.

When I pull the emergency flasher switch, all lights flash and I can see that the left cable alternates between 12v and 0v as expected (due to the relay/timer)

So - scratching head as to what next!!!!

Oh - and also changed the return spring in the gearbox for the clutch and when the pedal is depressed, it still does not come back up...............

Told ya! You know your onions. Me? I’d take a punt. Get excited about it arriving in the post because it was the holy grail. Think ‘Oh...that’s 10 hours of a nurse’s salary but worth a try’. Hook it up, watch it fail and think ‘What was I thinking’.......whilst still.....scratching my head. It’ll exist in my ‘maybe one day I can use its box of other eBay bits alongside the previous holy grail ones from the past that Paul says...’Nice but you already got a decent one’. Or ‘Great buy.......but it don’t fit your bus’. I get all eBay crazy with ? A bargain..so buy it! 😆 So, as said..It’ll all work out for you. It’s an Andy investigative cert. All the best.

Another good write up :)
Still working on the electrics - will remove the steering wheel (again) as this will help to get into all the areas of the cable runs.

As an aside to all the issues, just ordered 2 cab doors (need a bit of tidying) as the current ones are way past salvaging .......

I will look to get them on before winter to help protect it from the elements better than the current doors do (or don't as the case may be)

My doors were a problem too. Paul patched them up. But could do with some myself. After a bit of rain I have water sitting on the step lip right under the bottom of the door. So....Every so often I have a look for some. Very difficult to find decent ones nowadays. And the price! Great to see your perseverance as it inspires us all. Have a great weekend.

Yep - the price!!!
I knew mine were no good maybe 10 years ago - wished Ihad bought a pair then as they would have been a fraction of the price.............
Should get them next week - hope they are as good as they say they are - one has a dent in the skin which is OK and the other has some surface rust at the bottom, but come with all the fittings so makes it easier - I hope

2 steps forward and 1 step back :)

1 step forward
Fitted the hose to connect the brake reservoir to the master cylinder reservoir and all good - just need to get some fluid and get it set up.

2nd step forward
Sussed out the issue with the nearside indicators not working.
After removing the emergency flasher unit from the dash, removing all the connectors and giving it a good clean I could then do continuity checks.
Turns out I when I had removed the wires from the connecting block so I could remove the steering column, I had put two of them back wrong !!!!
Put the two where they should be and all good.

1 step back.
From the indicator I noticed that a brown and white cable did not go into the cable block but was loose.
After looking at the wiring diagrams, worked out it should connect to the headlamp relay, chased the cable back from the relay and found it just dangling so connect it up.
When the indicator wand was pulled up I could hear the relay click in - so all good, but…..

Put the indicator module back in its housing and all connected to the steering column.
Pulled the emergency light knob and all indicators flashed. Good
Pushed the indicator left then right - all worked as it should. Good
Pulled the indicator stalk up and, Christmas lights on the dash and I can hear the relays going mad.

So, when now using the emergency switch, indicators or flash, the relay sounds very poorly - so, I suspect I have foobared something………….

I just love my bus!!!

I believe it's the original one so the plan is to replace - fingers crossed that will fix the issue.

Fitted new connections on to a few wires so they can be connected - the first two are on the carb from the coil:

This one is the connection from the alternator to the battery

Tracing wires in the engine bay as I appear to have far to many so trying to work out what is what.....

Feeling the pain of trying to sort through the wiring. Ours looks like spaghetti, whilst I'm dreading sorting it all out I can't wait to understand what is what! Any tips for keeping track?

Katieriz said:
Feeling the pain of trying to sort through the wiring. Ours looks like spaghetti, whilst I'm dreading sorting it all out I can't wait to understand what is what! Any tips for keeping track?

Download a wiring diagram from the Samba.com for your particular model year, print it off as large as your printer will let you and laminate it.
Get a cheap label printer and then label each cable end as you trace it.

sparkywig said:
Katieriz said:

Download a wiring diagram from the Samba.com for your particular model year, print it off as large as your printer will let you and laminate it.
Get a cheap label printer and then label each cable end as you trace it.

Good advice.
I managed to print a few off at work on a colour A3 printer so very handy for working out what is what 8)

Ah we've been mostly flicking back and forth between pages of the Haynes manual! Must print something bigger (and on one page) when we're back in the office.

After unwrapping, this is what was inside:

A little bit of work required but nothing major - a few pics of the areas that will need addressingL

Once I have the engine installed in the van I will start on the doors!

67panel said:
Did you sort the dash lights , sounds like a possible bad earth causing a back feed .

Not yet as the weather has stopepd play.
Hoping this weekend to have another look (it was only when I connected the headlamp flash cable did it go crazy.
If the weather holds out this evening I will connect the battery up again and see what happens.

Latest posts