Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ozziedog said:
Hey Andy M, will the return spring actually return anything without a clutch and pressure plate to push against??? Just thinking out loud bud :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, another one in suspenders :lol:

Must admit I had a similar thought :msn4: :lol:
Liam (waits with everyone else)

ozziedog said:
Hey Andy M, will the return spring actually return anything without a clutch and pressure plate to push against??? Just thinking out loud bud :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, another one in suspenders :lol:

I love it when you think - the temperature in the UK rises a few degrees :lol:
Didn't think of that but surely the spring on it's own should do the job...... will see :)

sparkywig said:
You don't need a clutch to be fitted to get the operating shaft to work, the spring should still provide tension against the pedal and return the arm.

What I thought - will try and get out and work out what the issue is (I have a replacement spring kit somewhere if needs must but will be a ball ache to fit!)

Found the misplaced gearbox earth strap :)

20200610_201325_zpsqrowfgve.jpg

While the engine was out and I was rooting in the van for stuff, noticed the front tinware so decided to fit it - needed some fettling but on in the end.

20200610_200644_zps2rp8okmh.jpg

20200610_201424_zpswj79lfz4.jpg

20200610_201443_zpsrghsffge.jpg

20200610_201502_zpsljvwmpux.jpg

Also needed to put another hole in the metal work to allow the starter motor cable to reach the battery :)

20200610_201706_zpssuknterb.jpg

Good to see this project still going, this is the longest running resto on here, great work! When will it hit the road?

creationblue said:
Good to see this project still going, this is the longest running resto on here, great work! When will it hit the road?
Cheers.
When will it hit the road - probably when the axle stands give in............... :lol:

I am hoping in the next few months but dependant on weather and work.

gninnam said:
I am hoping in the next few months but dependant on weather and work.

:shock: I hope that won't be the end of this eternal thread! I've come back after a 5 year hiatus and need something just ground me as I was unsure how the land lies since I was here last.

Good work with the progress you have made, glad to catch up with this again.

I'm now working on finding a new van.

It's 10 years since I sold our old Dormy, time for a new adventure 😉

Took the washer bottle and the remote brake reservoir off to give them a check and clean.

20200614_145347_zpsb8pghmh7.jpg

The bracket that holds the washer bottle to the inside of the van was a we bit worse for ware so tidied it up and sprayed some paint on it - before pics.

20200614_145355_zpsdlq7lviz.jpg

20200614_145401_zpsjiwkcupt.jpg

Will have to keep you in suspense as I have no after pics yet :)

This is the metal slider - on the offside interior where the seat base goes on and the table slides into - it was buckled and also so of the metal had given way so this was after I straightened it some and before a spot of weld was added.

20200614_151100_zpslwqipqc1.jpg

20200614_151106_zps9rljsnpn.jpg

After some weld put on and ground back. Will need a bit more adding but should be good and strong when finished and I should be able to straighten out the metal a bit better.

20200614_170836_zps59zvua3b.jpg

Realised that when I built up the rear of the van, an earth point had snapped so I had ground it back but never put another one on - when the wiring is fed to the rear, a couple of wires I believe go to this earth post so I make one.

20200614_163037_zpsxa7eym0s.jpg

Welded in - needs more grinding to be done.

20200614_163845_zpsxuwzxcxb.jpg

Camp season opens up with showers and toilets by tommorow at least overhere in Holland and Germany so hurry up ;)

Dirty Harry said:
Camp season opens up with showers and toilets by tommorow at least overhere in Holland and Germany so hurry up ;)

:lol: Thanks for the nudge :mrgreen:

Nice work [emoji3]

Best to use nylon clamp for the cab brake fluid reservoir
JK says sold out but like this

https://www.justkampers.com/211-611-403-clamp-for-brake-resevoir-feed-pipe-vw-t-2-1967-1979.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mike202 said:
Nice work [emoji3]

Best to use nylon clamp for the cab brake fluid reservoir
JK says sold out but like this

https://www.justkampers.com/211-611-403-clamp-for-brake-resevoir-feed-pipe-vw-t-2-1967-1979.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cheers
Yes - heard mention of the nylon clamps so will try an get a pair.

Had a spare hour this afternoon so decided to try the electrics.
Shoved the battery in and found a point to connect the earth. Connected the positive to the starter with the ignition cable. Connected the other side of the starter up but will have to knock something proper up as these cables are female push connectors.

Turned the ignition on and no pops or bangs so a good start.
What works - pulled the hazard warning button out and it flashes. The only indicator light that flashed was the offside rear. When I used the indicator and pushed up (for right), again the only one that worked was the offside rear - when the stalk was pulled down, nothing.

Twisted the windscreen wiper button and they worked, put it on high speed and it stayed the same.

Pulled the knob for the headlights, in the dash the light came on but none of the lights lit.
Pulled the knob again for main beam and no light in the dash or in the headlights.

Checked the fuses and the last 5 all measured 12.3 volts (same as the battery).

Will need to do some more checks (also, the starter motor didn't work when I turned the key fully). This is going to be fun but I suspect that the wiring loom is foobar'd to be honest.

Good old bus electrics, hours of "fun" chasing bad connections and bad earths !!! Check both sides of fuses as prone to corrosion when standing.

I ordered a new loom at Volksgoods a while back. It looks great (bus is in pieces so haven't tried it yet) price was very acceptable ....and a very friendly guy to.

Thanks both.
Don't want to spend another £400 on the bus just yet.....
Yep - will have another go at the weekend (weather permitting) and go though each connection, one by one.................

Latest posts