Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mike202 said:
Engine looking good, fingers crossed for you [emoji3]

Cheers Mike. Charging the battery so once I have finished decorating I will be slapping it in ;)

subheatadey said:
Getting closer :bliss:

:shadey:

Battery now fully charged - finishing off decorating tomorrow (I hope) so Friday or Saturday will add the battery and see what happens.........

Looking amazing. Can’t wait for the start up. You’ve worked absolute wonders. And this beautiful weather must help too. By the way. Out of interest. Was there a spring (#37 on that parts diagram) to place on the steering column. Mine didn’t have one when I bought my bus. And the steering wheel wobble was awful. Got one now. All the best Andy. Great stuff.

gvee said:
Cannot wait 8)

Cheers G. Managed to find a few minutes this afternoon and plugged the rear light cables in.
Need to check what needs to go where as changing from dynamo to alternator.
Loads of cables and now looking to see where they belong too.......

graysummers said:
Looking amazing. Can’t wait for the start up. You’ve worked absolute wonders. And this beautiful weather must help too. By the way. Out of interest. Was there a spring (#37 on that parts diagram) to place on the steering column. Mine didn’t have one when I bought my bus. And the steering wheel wobble was awful. Got one now. All the best Andy. Great stuff.
Thanks. Nice to hear from you again and hoping the van is still working well for you
Still waiting on the engine oil to arrive - ordered last Wednesday and still not here - rang the customer number and an auto message says the queue is around 2 hours and if you are waiting for a delivery and 10 days from ordering has not gone by then hang up.......

Yes the spring was in there so back in again!!

Good and not so good today :(

Good - serviced the wife's car this morning so should be good for another 8K miles or so.
Finished the decorating also, so the hall, stairs and landing finished - phew.
Put 1 litre of engine oil in and so far no leaks (I know when the engine is running things will be different due to oil pressure!!)

Not so good - swapped the old spark plugs with new and may have cross threaded 2 of the holes (1 in each cylinder bank).
Plus, couldn't find the gearbox earth strap I bought last week - put it down somewhere and now gone !!

Yep - happened far to many times now. I am sure I have the borrowers living in my garage :)

Thiamine (B1) for memory. Suggest more Cornflakes with all those added % need daily’s for breakfast. I think in renovation, so many of the little extras and ‘maybe I’ll need that’s’ are the problem. I bought them and stored them all over. You think you park them in a safe ‘I’ll remember’ place and 5 minutes later....forget. It isn’t a few bits. It’s tens of tens. Welcome to advancing age Andy. Oil? I bought the vintage/classic oil from Halfords. It’s a 20W50. There are the more astute on Earlybay members here that probably have exact needs. And will be spot on with choice. Would love to know your choice. Suppose it depends a lot in what you got behind the engine door. I’m stock 1600-ish and starting up and running it now sounds comfortable. Long term? Who knows. Happy hunting. All the best.

Lost bits ,tell me. How do you lose the meter long strip that holds sliding door track cover!! I moved it when tidying up to somewhere safe, so bloody safe its vanished--------- and all the fixings I bagged that are missing or mixed up (WTF) defo have gremlins /borrowers in my unit (just to much crap TBH) .

graysummers said:
Thiamine (B1) for memory. Suggest more Cornflakes with all those added % need daily’s for breakfast. I think in renovation, so many of the little extras and ‘maybe I’ll need that’s’ are the problem. I bought them and stored them all over. You think you park them in a safe ‘I’ll remember’ place and 5 minutes later....forget. It isn’t a few bits. It’s tens of tens. Welcome to advancing age Andy. Oil? I bought the vintage/classic oil from Halfords. It’s a 20W50. There are the more astute on Earlybay members here that probably have exact needs. And will be spot on with choice. Would love to know your choice. Suppose it depends a lot in what you got behind the engine door. I’m stock 1600-ish and starting up and running it now sounds comfortable. Long term? Who knows. Happy hunting. All the best.
Old age is great and loving every minute of it.......
This weekend I will have another look around the garage to see if I can find it - would like to install it before popping the engine in!
The oil I went for was nothing special, TRIPLE QX Premium Engine Oil - 20W-50
The engine is a no frills 1600 so just after something that will be reliable and do the job.
Cheers :)

67panel said:
Lost bits ,tell me. How do you lose the meter long strip that holds sliding door track cover!! I moved it when tidying up to somewhere safe, so bloody safe its vanished--------- and all the fixings I bagged that are missing or mixed up (WTF) defo have gremlins /borrowers in my unit (just to much crap TBH) .
I lost a front spindle once and the following year found it inside the van..........
It has to turn up :msn4:

Great big massive bollocks..................

Today I was to set the timing very loosely using tried and trusted methods - hand spin the engine over with the right hand side valve cover off so I can see when cylinder 1 is at TDC (both valves closed and distributor in the right place) and also do the valve clearances.

Starts to turn the engine, then it stopped and wouldn't move so, turn it the other way and the same - at the same time I noticed that when rotating one way then the other I have end float of around 3 mm.......... Didn't have this before when I first put the engine back together??

So - anyone in the Leeds area who could pop over and tell me if the engine is a waste of space or what I should do next?

06-06-2020

Had issues with the turning of the engine and thanks for Zedders from the LateBay forum, he suggested putting the flywheel back on…….

So I had to get the engine off the engine stand and onto my workmate single handed (well the cat supervised) before getting the flywheel on - also thought I would change the crank seal.

20200606_154624_zpsf8do0ka9.jpg

20200606_155036_zpsff8ot187.jpg

20200606_160740_zps5ldb6b8c.jpg

20200606_171837_zpsfbdkywev.jpg

End Float is good now!
Fit the clutch next and a few other things in the engine bay

ardeko said:
Come on the suspense is killing me ....did it start ? ....did it roll?

Killing me too.
Got a few more things to do in the engine bay before the engine goes in (the return spring on the gearbox for the clutch is no longer returning....)

Hey Andy M, will the return spring actually return anything without a clutch and pressure plate to push against??? Just thinking out loud bud :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, another one in suspenders :lol:

Latest posts