Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The reason why my fuse box has been moved is due to the PO putting on a newer front panel but not sorting out the rest of the metal behind :(

FFS.......

thejinx said:
What’s your plan.

Well - continue with the getting the engine in and see if it works.
Then, the dash will have to come out and probably the window to then see what needs to be done........ I am getting the feeling that I will have to sell it as a parts vehicle :roll:

The usual 1 step forward, 1 back….

Clutch plate connected to the engine.

But, then I noticed this - can you spot the issue??

Nope - release bearing is good - came with the new clutch so changed at the same time (looks the same but newer to the original one).
No - the gearbox is not central. If you look at the gearbox mount, the nuts appear to be too far to the left.
I compared to an old photo I had after I had removed the engine and in that photo then nuts are equidistant.

So, today I will attempt to redress this without taking the gearbox all the way out - wish me luck!!

Disconnected the gearbox from the back hanger, turned the hanger the other way and connected back - all good :)

While under the van sorting out the gearbox I noticed that the clutch cable conduit seems to go all over the place as can be seen from where it starts on the offside next to the chassis rail - I decided that it should be straighter and no wonder the clutch cable I originally bought was to short :)

Cut the conduit then added a sleeve, all welded in:

Let it cool down then add some protection:

And here it is now, a more direct line and the original clutch cable fits a treat…..

But…….. The clutch pedal still doesn’t return when depressed.
Even with the clutch pedal upright, the weight of it pulls on the arm slightly which surely if the spring was strong enough wouldn’t happen??

Yes - but when the pedal is pushed down it only returns a little bit - the spring is not doing its job even though the route is correct.

Yes - everything seems fine.
If I take the cable off, then pressure to push the lever is high and once fully depressed the spring 'springs' back the lever.
The cable can now be easily pushed/pulled so no snagging.
Stumped.

Yet again the van is fighting me :(

Tonight I thought I would finish the steering so removed the pitman arm and centered the steering box - then made sure the wheels are as straight as can be.
Put the pitman arm back on and knocked it back.
Started to tighten the castellated nut goes on so far then goes loose again - so the thread on the steering box is fubared - must have happened when trying to get the pitman arm off.

So, I will have to undo everything and take the steering box out and see about getting the thread redone!

Regards the clutch, removed the spring and took a couple of photos of it so you can pass judgment on it.

Checked everything over again and all seems good, but decided to put the clutch arm thingy on the other way round (which I think is the correct way) - the weight of the pedal is not moving the arm now which is good, but the spring is still not pulling the pedal back up after being depressed.

Starting to get pissed off again……...

gninnam said:

Yet again the van is fighting me :(

Tonight I thought I would finish the steering so removed the pitman arm and centred the steering box - then made sure the wheels are as straight as can be.
Put the pitman arm back on and knocked it back.
Started to tighten the castellated nut goes on so far then goes loose again - so the thread on the steering box is fubared - must have happened when trying to get the pitman arm off.

So, I will have to undo everything and take the steering box out and see about getting the thread redone!

Regards the clutch, removed the spring and took a couple of photos of it so you can pass judgment on it.

Checked everything over again and all seems good, but decided to put the clutch arm thingy on the other way round (which I think is the correct way) - the weight of the pedal is not moving the arm now which is good, but the spring is still not pulling the pedal back up after being depressed.

Starting to get pissed off again……...

I feel your pain and would be round like a shot , to help figure it out , problem is I stay to far away.
Persistence is a great trait and you have loads, it will finally come right. Keep going Andy.
My electrical gremlins are such a pain in the proverbial, I am also loath to keep asking as I am sure I will
eventually get there. Will be interesting to finally find out why.
You and your family stay safe.

J & P
:D :D :D

Latest posts