Uber Cool-68 Westy Cal import LHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 5 weeks ago some little shit :evil: drove his corsa down the side of my van. So got quote for repairs etc and took it to SJS Restorations in Southport. So part funded by the insurance and part fund by me the repairs and respray have begun.

Problem is with a 40 year old bus its hard to match colours as it looks like its had a blow over in the USA with a non VW colour, Should be Pearl white but it wasn't so its gone from a couple of panels to a full respray. :shock:

However been to see it today and the panel work that Simon and his team have done is great. All the dents and bumps of 40 years gone, and a few probably from the shipping container when it came across this year :roll:

Cant wait to pick it up next week. Anybody in th Northwest needing panel work, part restorations or paint work, give Simon at SJS a shout. I'll post a link later.

westypaintshop004.jpg

westypaintshop003.jpg

westypaintshop002.jpg

westypaintshop001.jpg

Now back from the paint shop and back to the original Pearl White, :mrgreen: it must have had a blow over in the USA and ended up a slightly more cream colour, The old colour is on the rear hatch in the photo above.

Been busy making up better seatbelt mounts in the rear, this is the non wardrobe side bracket I made.
westy008.jpg

Wardrobe side work in progress
camper078.jpg

uber cool said:
Now back from the paint shop and back to the original Pearl White, :mrgreen: it must have had a blow over in the USA and ended up a slightly more cream colour, The old colour is on the rear hatch in the photo above.

Been busy making up better seatbelt mounts in the rear, this is the non wardrobe side bracket I made.
westy008.jpg

[/img]

i need one of those ;) ;)

lookin good :mrgreen:

cheers fella :mrgreen:

Wasnt happy with the belt too far down behind the seat,also having only a lapbelt on the wardrobe side is driving me mad. Should get it finished tomorrow.

Tidy, very interested to see the finished result. The seat belt idea is great, could do with something like that myself :mrgreen:

A very clever bit of work, to solve a really annoying issue.

Have you patented this? Cos I might do something similar. ;)

No fella, copy as much as you like, that's the idea to spread the info about. Just dont ask me for dimensions, 2 reason,

1) I cant get to any of it now the interior is back in (wardrobe shelf and partition etc)
2) I made it using what steel I had lay around in the garage, so lots of odd bits and pieces, the long bit was off a bit of industrial racking I aquired several years ago. :mrgreen:

Took me about 15 hours over 3 days to do both sides :mrgreen:

No cool man, I'm sure mine will look nothing like yours in the end....I'll be using odds and ends as well.

Just the idea...it's always a simple solution that seems to be the best.

great job! well done on the seat belt thing, think this one flumexes most of us - nice to see it is possible, although you used scrap odds and sods the job looks A1

Well done

Only prob is I'm now going to have to do this to mine..................

Ben ;)

dubdubz said:
depending on how much these are

100_0827.jpg

you may have saved me a whole heap of cash!!

where did you source them and how are the 205pcs wheel bolts held in?

PM if u prefer?

thanks

D
I bought them like this with the discs. However they look the same as a guy sells on vzi. The recess allow for a more positive location and keeps the track narrow. They are threaded for the 205 pcs. So normal wheel bolts will fit

I just read all your great post Uber. :D ...can´t wait to see more picture of your newly painted van...
I got my red 9 kit today so I´ll be following on your steps next week...by the way, I have also followed your fabrication of the seat belt mounts in another post and just one silly question:my van doesn´t seem to have a 3rd seatbelt mount on the wheel arch :?: did you weld in a new one or some vans have one originally fitted...my bus is a crossover with all the other "holes" for the seatbelts!
Sorry for this long brick!

If you mean the seatbelt mount on the side of the arch under the wardrobe then I had to make and add this one

yep back now, pm sent.

1000 miles fault free running to France and back. Only incident was someone reversed into the newly painted bus on the ferry, causing more damage then 5 weeks ago, :evil: and exactly in the same place :roll: still didnt spoil the holiday. :mrgreen: photos to follow

uber cool said:
yep back now, pm sent.

1000 miles fault free running to France and back. Only incident was someone reversed into the newly painted bus on the ferry, causing more damage then 5 weeks ago, :evil: and exactly in the same place :roll: still didnt spoil the holiday. :mrgreen: photos to follow

ive thought about a repaint on my front end, but apart from the patina, i know someones just gonna dent it as soon as its done :lol:

hope u get it sorted, pm back at ya

Some photos from our holiday in France this year. Baden, near Carnac.

waiting for the ferry at Portmouth.
Picture581.jpg

Great start to the holiday. old lady reverses into the camper, exactly the same spot that was repaired 5 weeks ago :evil:
Picture603.jpg

Campsite, great weather.
Picture610.jpg

Picture609.jpg

great fun on the beach
Picture614.jpg

Now this would look cool slammed on nice rims
Picture640.jpg

Waiting for the ferry home at St Malo 6am
Picture695.jpg

Latest posts