Monty the Red Campervan

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gas1man said:
I bought a length of board from B & Q that you use to go in front of a radiator in your house.
It's nearly the same just the holes are a little tighter together. Sprayed it black.

https://www.diy.com/departments/cambridge-large-white-traditional-radiator-cover/153462_BQ.prd

This is the sort of thing I used and some new fibreglass insulation between.
Hope the idea helps. Bus is looking good.

J & P
:D :D :D

thanks for the suggestion. I have a look around. :)

fallingoffalot said:
Looking really good in the engine bay, very neat. I'll probably remove mine as well. Are you going to put any sound insulation in?

Thanks, its taken quite a bit of work to get it like that!

I am not in a hurry to replace the tar boards. I have sound deadening (silentcoat) on top of the engine deck, so that should minimise that panel for noise. I would have painted the roof under the tar boards last year, if had realised I was going to remove them later. I am interested if others have found a good alternative. :)

Looks fantastic Mike ... the queue at Aldi doesn’t though [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have made a small repair to the cover plate of the alternator which has been bugging me for a while. I used Milliput to fill the hole then grey primer and then paint to finish it. The hole or cut into the plate was made when I had the alt conversion done to get it to fit with the Weber 32/36 progressive carb. I now have twin carbs.

I wanted to check the spark plugs after about 3000 miles on the new engine. Getting to the front plugs number 1 and 3 is a bit awkward to say the least. I bought a set of extension bars and universal joint to get a better fit on the plugs. I was able to get the number 1 plug out (the front right side) this is the most restricted with my Weber ICT carbs.

When I tried to put it back in after tightening it, I couldn't remove the plug socket! It was stuck fast and wouldn't come out until I unwound the spark plug a bit then it would release. It seemed to be caught by the tinware above it. I had another spark plug socket with 1/2 drive and tried that, same problem!

I had a cup of tea and a think, and remembered I had a really old spark plug T handle socket that I must have had for over 30 years. I found this in the bottom of my tool box, and guess what? It fitted perfectly and withdrew easily because it is a much smaller socket head and the T handle makes it all one piece. I was really surprised that it worked at all and wish I had at least tried it before buying the extra plug sockets, :lol: at least the extension bars will come in handy for other jobs.

old rusty T handle on left with another old spark plug socket.

I made up some Pertronix 8mm leads to go with the Pertronix dissy and coil. Also fitted a new dissy cap and rotor.

Most plug sockets are too thick in wall and jamb on cylinder head , I have a thin wall UJ one

Like the work on the Alternator - looks factory fresh :)

Good tip on the spark plug thingy...

Bus looks great mike and that engine and bay! Gleaming!

Like the work on the Alternator - looks factory fresh :)

Good tip on the spark plug thingy...

Thanks for the comments guys! :)

Yes I would, I bought them when I was still running my own garage (set of 2 with the small one) as needed it for a particular engine .

Latest posts