Idea for charity meet in southampton? your opinions please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slugmobile

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,
ok looking for some advice and feedback from all the great peeps on here.
I work for Go Outdoors (large superstore size camping and outdoor pursuits store) for those that have never heard of us :D .
This year the company have decided to raise money for Mountain rescue(england and wales),
Mountain Rescue England and Wales were called to over 1500 incidents in 2009, helping walkers, mountain bikers, runners, climbers and a host of other people who needed assistance, as well as motorists trapped in winter snow.

Mountain rescue in the UK is free of charge to the casualty but relies on the support and generosity of the public to maintain this valuable community service. Without public donations, they simply could not function.
Each store has been given a target of £16,000 and has been asked to come up with ideas to raise the cash.
I was thinking of combining my love for old VW'S with some kind of charitable event, the store is based in Southampton and i was thinking something along the lines of turn up in your van or other old vw pay a small donation to the cause (i am going to see if i can get a discount in the store for peeps attending the meet).
maybe a BBQ with all the profits being donated of course, CRUISE IN A BUS, where maybe people pay to have a cruise round southampton, Raffle with camping prizes which i will hopefully scrounge of the suppliers and reps and of course a chance to get together with other like minded vw nuts and generally have a good time.
so this is still in the very early stages, so i suppose what i would like to know is:
Is this the sort of thing you would attend?
Is this the sort of thing you would support (cruise around southampton) ?
any other ideas for the day? , bearing in mind its gotta be for charity.
would welcome all feedback positive or negative as i would love this to work and maybe be repeated.
cheers guys
Glen.

Hi Glen. :D

That all sounds good to me!
It depends upon dates of course, but if there isn't a clash with work or other stuff, then I'm definitely up for it!

I only 'discovered' your Millbrook store a few months ago (I always thought it was still a B&Q store there :oops: :lol: ), and bought some camping gear. I only live across the water, in the Waterside area, so very handy for me!

Danbury Doug said:
Hi Glen. :D

That all sounds good to me!
It depends upon dates of course, but if there isn't a clash with work or other stuff, then I'm definitely up for it!

I only 'discovered' your Millbrook store a few months ago (I always thought it was still a B&Q store there :oops: :lol: ), and bought some camping gear. I only live across the water, in the Waterside area, so very handy for me!
great thanks for the feedback :D
glen.

I'm well up for this Glen, So will help in whatever way I can , How about making it not just about Vw's but any transport be it Scooters , Harleys or anything that gives their owners a buzz kind of like a Goodwood Festival for the normal bloke who just love's his ride ???

SteveGTU said:
I'm well up for this Glen, So will help in whatever way I can , How about making it not just about Vw's but any transport be it Scooters , Harleys or anything that gives their owners a buzz kind of like a Goodwood Festival for the normal bloke who just love's his ride ???
great idea steve my only concern is the size of the car park as it would probs have to be on the weekend and as you know we get pretty busy as it is, but if its done out of season ie: not spring summer there will be more space,
thanks for the offer of help as well mate will take u up on that ;)
glen

How about the park where the boat show is held ?? I could give the council a ring if you want ?? We could get your climbing wall there too. After all it's for Charity mate !! Come on lets do it 8) 8)

SteveGTU said:
How about the park where the boat show is held ?? I could give the council a ring if you want ?? We could get your climbing wall there too. After all it's for Charity mate !! Come on lets do it 8) 8)
Good idea ,however the climbing wall is attached to the building :lol: ,lets see what kind of feedback on numbers , if it looks like it could go big i may have to,my feeling is i may not get a huge response but lets see i have posted on the latebay as well and will be on ssvc once my registration is processed,quite excited about this it really is a very worthey cause
glen. :D

The only downside i can see is to justify the cause (mountain rescue). Don't get me wrong I know they do a great job but in my experience to get people to part with money they need to benefit from it. Not many mountains in Southampton ??Hope you don't take this the wrong way as i'm sure they're worthy but will everyone else ?

SteveGTU said:
The only downside i can see is to justify the cause (mountain rescue). Don't get me wrong I know they do a great job but in my experience to get people to part with money they need to benefit from it. Not many mountains in Southampton ??Hope you don't take this the wrong way as i'm sure they're worthy but will everyone else ?
true true :( we are lacking in the mountain department, but that is the charity the business has addopted,like i say i will gauge the response and see,
oh and no offence taken like i said all feedback encouraged :D
glen

sounds like a good idea, i would be up for it just to see if i could pick up some bargains in store.

But i live miles away in Norfolk, and we have even fewer mountains.

ed. said:
sounds like a good idea, i would be up for it just to see if i could pick up some bargains in store.

But i live miles away in Norfolk, and we have even fewer mountains.
:lol: :lol: cheers :D

Distance would prevent me from attending this unfortunatly otherwise I would!

The charity is a good choice, I have family in the lakes and on many occasions, usually in the piss rain as we're heading home as the weather has turned horrible, mountain rescue are kitting up and heading out for training or a job. Doesn't look like much fun at all!

The cruise sounds like a good idea, I recently did my first Triumph club event, which included a cruise from the camping location out to the coast with a stop off point in the middle. It was a good laugh to be in a massive convoy, I think maybe with your event a good idea would be pick a large carpark to meet up in and then cruise over to the store?

ProfessorWheeto said:
Distance would prevent me from attending this unfortunatly otherwise I would!

The charity is a good choice, I have family in the lakes and on many occasions, usually in the piss rain as we're heading home as the weather has turned horrible, mountain rescue are kitting up and heading out for training or a job. Doesn't look like much fun at all!

The cruise sounds like a good idea, I recently did my first Triumph club event, which included a cruise from the camping location out to the coast with a stop off point in the middle. It was a good laugh to be in a massive convoy, I think maybe with your event a good idea would be pick a large carpark to meet up in and then cruise over to the store?
thats a very good idea thanks for the feedback :D
glen

just had another thought , what about a charity auction where people donate parts they cant sell or cant be bothered to list (in my case),and we auction them off on the day :?:
cheers
glen

sounds like a good idea to me, hopefully my import will have arrived by then and i can join in the fun!!

Latest posts