1968 Campervan conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and after some final touches...

019.jpg

020.jpg

... it was ready to be primed:

017.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

the outer skin panel had already been prepared to be welded to the door... there were only a couple of small tasks yet to be done before welding it in place:

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

and the door already in place:

036.jpg

037.jpg

and again, the other side:

038.jpg

and what was left of the original ones:

IMG_1624.jpg

Hugo also had to fix the sliding door.
In the interior, there was an area, where he thought there was some surprises beneath a large area of stone chip:

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

one day will get mine that good :msn4: front beam is a 68 to mid way through 69 part,its the same bolt pattern as a split (recon they used the same "chassis"legs) it changed when they added the extra front chassis leg.

thanks 67panel ;)
I should have read my haynes and bentley manuals before spending so much time in a stunt like that 8)
well, but at least I learned this (although the hard way) and I will not try this a third time :mrgreen:

I do have to write some words of appreciation to you, 67panel, for your help about how to assemble a regular front suspension in here. With it, I was able to assemble it on the bus all alone and pretty fast. Thank you so much!
I owe you a beer! :mrgreen:
;)

after using the sandblaster, Hugo found some more rust areas beneath a huge layer of putty (bitumen) :

044.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

the engine lid was also in the need of some attention:

012.jpg

013.jpg

and after Hugo fixed it, andré painted it with the usual epoxy primer:

IMG_1626.jpg

the slidding door is ready for the final layer of paint...

IMG_1625.jpg

... although there's still this area to fix (using a repair panel from JK):

IMG_1627.jpg

so, a couple of weeks ago and with the help of 67panel I was able to assemble the front suspension in place without any major efforts and completely alone:

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1643.jpg

so, last weekend, the bus was finally painted!

:party0053:

Friday, it was transported to the paint shop and saturday morning (it was freezing )....

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

... I went to another city (some 50 km's from where I was) to get the materials André needed to paint it.
On arrival to the paint shop, André was already isolating the bus:

IMG_1711.jpg

Latest posts