1968 Campervan conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so, after cutting all welding points, the outer skin came out:

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

... and without it, I took what was left to be cleaned with the sandblaster:

IMG_1404.jpg

Some excellent work on those doors - its a lot harder than it looks getting the door repairs like that to be right. :)

and some other parts that reappeared after several years on the catacombs :mrgreen: :

IMG_1405.jpg

(meanwhile, I need to find out some decals like these ones :roll: )

IMG_1406.jpg

... and the dash that I needed disassemble completely:

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

Trikky2 said:
Some excellent work on those doors - its a lot harder than it looks getting the door repairs like that to be right. :)

thanks Trikky2... ;)
Let's see how they will look at the end but I'm really confident that they will look great :mrgreen:

my dashboard:

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

... and some more parts:

IMG_1408.jpg

and the sliding door that needs some affection also :mrgreen:

IMG_1409.jpg

since the bus is almost ready for paint, there's another huge task that we need to start doing: the interior.
For that, we needed to check if everything will fit as planned. So, I took out my fridge just to make some less acurate measurements :mrgreen: :

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

Finally after several years, he saw daylight :mrgreen:
Meanwhile what's left of the blue bus is on top of my dollie. For now, I'm going to use her's suspensions to take my '68 bus for painting:

IMG_1415.jpg

There was a last task to do. We need to weld the brackets from the rear safari into the rear hatch.
So with Hugo's help, we did it:

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

some markings and cleaning:

IMG_1419.jpg

and the task began:

IMG_1420.jpg

And after we welded it on one side, we did it on the other:

IMG_1421.jpg

in the end, it will be something like this:

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

they now need to be properly welded so I removed the window:

IMG_1424.jpg

That's all for now :mrgreen:
Cheer's to you all!
;)

ps.

Dont be tempted to paint you dash top anything light - the reflections in the windscreen will drive you crazy :lol:

Trikky2.. sorry for this late reply :oops:

Paint it with some other colour rather than black.... never! :mrgreen:
I already know what you're saying. If it was originally black, it will stay like that.
;)

and I was able to do something else. After painting some of my suspensions parts (the parts I'll be using and some other one's that I have as spare parts) with POR-15 Black Chassis Coat, I wasn't happy with the end result. So, I decided to remove all of it and star all over again. I also sanded all paint from the remaining parts. After these task, I painted all once more:

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

In the end, they were looking good. Although there are some negative reviews on Por-15 paints, I decided to use what I had left. Since these parts are easily disassemble, if I find out it is as bad as some reviews say it is, I can always clean them all again and paint them again.

IMG_1501.jpg

Nice progress. I know what you mean about por15. I have also seen a lot of negative reports but have never used it myself.

Did you find the decals in the end? If not then I found you some here http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Decal-Sheet-68-79-Bus-14pc-2119996879_act_shop.product_pID_185315_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks 68_early_bay 8)

So... I'm back with some more pictures of what's going on.
These ones were sent to me by André, the painter that's helping me.

Here's a picture of a transparent sealer that was used over my POR-15 paint and primer. I will keep these areas under severe control :msn4:

IMG_9112.jpg

IMG_9113.jpg

IMG_9114.jpg

... and after, André used a two components primer before applying the final layer of paint:

IMG_9117.jpg

IMG_9118.jpg

IMG_9119.jpg

Looking awesome! 8) hats off :mrgreen:

Latest posts