• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Vehicle For Sale 1969 VW T2 Early bay - UK RHD - £13,750 ono

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewbay

Reaction score
We have owned and enjoyed our 1969 RHD 1600cc walkthrough early baywindow for 5 years.
Built great memories and hope to find the next owners to continue that on.
Simply selling as it is time for some other ventures, having moved down to Cornwall. This is an honest van, an honest advert.

Mileage when purchased: 47,944
Mileage today: 55,500
New Remtec 1600TP engine in 2010 @ 41,000 miles (VW Heritage)
Engine has completed less than 15,000 miles and runs great.

Ready to turn the key and go off on adventures. Used throughout the brighter seasons, tucked away in a garage over winter. This van has always been one to be used, never let us down and I have always sought out to fix any issues (with the best quality parts) when they arise.

Not a show van - there are small dings, bubbles and imperfections, which in my opinion is only part of the character. Still looks great, people often stop to tell you so. Some detail below (in order to be transparent) re items to consider.

THE BACKGROUND:
Started life in the UK as a microbus (tin-top) in Lotus White
At some stage in history transformed into Neptune Blue replacing the seating with rock’n roll bed and rag-top
Subtly lowered - looks great, improves control, not an issue for clearance. Also adjustable.
We also recently upgraded the front steering / suspension system (see below). Handling hugely improved.
Restored in 2007/2008 - lots of detail of work in my comprehensive history folder

MECHANICAL:
Recent service history
- Jun’23 Service and Inspection certificate
- Aug’22 engine strip/clean/rebuild (heat risers, inlet manifold gaskets, carb, air filter, engine bay seal etc), Full service N.E Barnes (mileage: 54,900)
- Jun’21 Type 2 Detectives full service (mileage: 52,816)
- Jun’20 N.E Barnes full service (mileage: 50,100)
- Folder of bills and earlier service history back to 2004 evidence the continued care in maintenance

New tyres (Hankooks, all round, Aug’20) still in great condition
Oil temp dipstick with temp gauge in the front
Short shifter for improved gear shifting

Recent works (across last 2 years):
- New starter motor (van starts every time) - top quality Bosch (CoolAir Part Number: 311911023DXTQ)
- New alternator (dynamo + pulley system) - top quality 55amp Bosch
- Rear brake shoe, braking system (wheel cylinders) replacement/service
- £3.5k works (by Type2 Detectives):
- steering / front suspension upgrade, transforming the handling (S&F Bilstein shocks, balljoints, track rods, steering arm, adjusters, coupling)
- upgrade accelerator linkage, new inlet boots and preheat check, fuel hoses (S&F Biohose grade), brake fluid feed

BITS TO CONSIDER:
As mentioned, this van runs great, looks great and is safe and ready to continue to be used.
But if I were keeping the van the areas I would look at are as follows.
  • Corrosion, areas of chassis: I recently had an inspection to confirm that the van is safe and road worthy. I knew this was the case, but sought professional advice as comfort for selling it on. Mechanics had no concern over safety and commented on it being a good van. If I kept the van I would look to complete some welding: outriggers, inner sills, outer sills, front crossmember
  • I have not completed any bodywork / rust repairs in the 4-5 years I have had the van, the next owner may wish to look at some areas for repair
INTERIOR - fully restored 4 years back:
- new ply headlining and panels throughout (backed with insulation)
- Full bed (super comfortable and roomy for two - I’m 6’1”) with fitted storage above
- New fridge (Dometic CRX50)
- Handmade fridge surround / storage
- new leisure battery (12V 105AH Expedition Plus AGM Leisure Battery) w/ split charge relay [Automatically charges from the alternator, without the engine battery going flat. Wired to a 12V fuse box and USB power sockets]
- Ply drinks/storage console
- New fuse board and some wiring
- New steering wheel
- New mats (Madmatz)

Other bits: solar panel (Dokio 100W Monocrystalline foldable with Inverter & Controller) which we use throughout summer to top up the leisure battery (can keep the fridge running without mains electricity) - a great bit of kit we love, Campervan cover, original steering wheel, clutch/accelerator cables and other useful mechanical parts

Give me a shout for any questions or more photos and walk around/engine video on Whatsapp/video call:

Van is currently based in Cornwall, depending on location happy to discuss delivery
Lewis

WINDSCREEN PEEK.JPG

Attachments

• BED.jpg
    BED.jpg
    940.5 KB · Views: 1
  • CAB.JPG
    CAB.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • DRIVERS SIDE.JPG
    DRIVERS SIDE.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 1