71 Sierra Yellow, OG paint refresh

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squareweave

Reaction score
Well I have been racking up the miles on the 69 all summer with the sun shining. We have had a stellar summer as far as weather goes over here. A couple of weeks ago I was doing some late night searching online for Earlybay's (not that I need another :oops: ) and came across this original paint, very early build 71 that was located in Redmond, Oregon and has been sitting for quite some time. I have been keeping my eye out for an early round rear fender lip 71 to build for the past few years. The rear fenders on these busses are flared allowing easier removal of the rear tire when slammed but still round (vs the latter square type) matching the body lines better. I believe these were only built during the first few months of the 71 model year production. Original paint was a must and Sierra Yellow........ even better :D

To make a long story short I contacted the owner and made a deal and had it shipped up to the Canadian border last Friday. After the customs paperwork cleared I brought the van home this past Monday and started to dig into it. It is a very solid OG paint bus with a few old touch ups. It has a few pin holes in the front floor and battery tray and thats it. The rockers are mint.

My plans are to keep it as OG as possible with fixing up what needs to be done, clean up the body some, a full interior re trim, slam it on Cosmics and enjoy. I might need a some opinions on what to fix and what to leave og over the next while so feel free to pipe up. After building my sunroof bus it might take a bit of time to get my head back into the patina movement and not overdo it.

Well here are some pictures starting with the original pictures of where it was sitting when I found it:

Much to my surprise when it showed up it had an original vintage Z bed from "Z products"

Finally at home, might have to take a break on the bus to finish up some landscaping that you can see on the edge of my driveway :shock:

Giving its first bath in a long time. This is the oxidization coming off the white roof paint!!!!

Back is washed, left hand side is still oxidized here

Mmmm, patina!! this is the passengers rear air duct with a quick polish.

Look at the black crap coming off this thing, it was very dirty!!

I will clean up the light scale around the seat mounting brackets

Spent about 3 minutes removing the old under seal from the inner fender. I will be removing all of the under seal from all four fenders. I like the look of nice clean og painted fenderwells on a solid bus.

Trial fitting the wheels to measure offset. Plans are a four inch balljoint beam with dropped spindles and Slamwerks spring plates in the rear.

Started removing the horrible touch up and see what was lurking underneith

Not too bad at all. I will fix it up a bit better and blend in the correct color this time. Only minor touch ups to be done.

Lovely bus with lots of potential, does your middle seat have the extenders fitted that move it forwards to let the rear lie flat ??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

mattyd72 said:
Lovely bus with lots of potential, does your middle seat have the extenders fitted that move it forwards to let the rear lie flat ??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Nope, but I have a spare set that that I will install. The middle seat looks to never have had any installed. They must have removed it to make the seat lay flat.

Thanks for the comments guys. I spent today cleaning up the nose and the rear quarter panel. I will finish it off tomorrow. I am going to try to save as much OG paint as possible so just cleaning up the uglies.

Damage was fairly minor here. I just didn't like the miss match paint and thought I would clean up the repair at the same time.

Sorry for the stupid question , but what are the sticks coming out of the bodywork ?? :oops:

these are "nails" welded on the sheet metal that you pull out with a slide hammer to remove the dents. ;)

Good stuff Rich!

Grazy said:
Sorry for the stupid question , but what are the sticks coming out of the bodywork ?? :oops:

roland said:
these are "nails" welded on the sheet metal that you pull out with a slide hammer to remove the dents. ;)

Good stuff Rich!

There is no thing as a stupid question, we are all here to have fun and learn and if you don't ask you will never know. Roland is correct, it is far better for the metal and for spots that are hard to get at like the front end this is the best way to go. The drivers fender is double walled in 71-later busses so you wouldn't be able to hammer out the dings anyways so this is the way to go. I will just cut off the stud and then grind off the heads and voila. Like I mentioned before my goal is to have this bus as OG as possible but still getting rid of the "Junk Yard Dog" uglies. I think I fired up a few guys a while back on the dented nose thread :lol: so I will stay true to my word and had to clean this one up.

My dad popped by today for a coffee and gave me an extra set of hands and we removed the ding on the roof in the back drivers corner. The paint was cracked before I stated so I ground down a small area so that I could weld the studs on and pull out the dent. We tried first to use just a suction cup but ended up having to relieve the stress on the ridge of the roof by pulling on the studs and it popped out. I am quite happy with the end result. I will airbrush in the paint where I had to remove it.

From this:

To this:

I cut all of the studs off today and ground what was left of them. I then was hammer and dollying the highs and lows when I took this picture. I will give it a thin skim of filler and sand it out and high build and then paint. I had some paint mixed that is the correct paint code. I want the touched up spots to match as much as possible so I am going to try to replicate the stone chips in the touched up areas so it doesn't stand out as new. I'll keep you posted.

Nose being metal worked, I think I may give the air grill a sandblast and a respray too.

I got the tires installed tonight at Dales motorsports. The M-code plate on the bus designates "Continental " tires so when it came time to buy tires there was only one choice :idea: Balanced and mounted and ready to go.

I also got the windshield out, its the first baywindow bus I have owned that came with a good windshield and it cracked on me. Oh well, you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette!!

Latest posts