71 Sierra Yellow, OG paint refresh

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work on the van and loving the square back 8)
Take you have a large kockup to store all these great cars.... well jealous :mrgreen:

Well enough of me posting pics of cars. Back to the program!!! I have been working on the bus the past while quite a bit. I have also been collecting cool parts and accessories for it. Here is few of the latest updates.

The battery tray was covered in fiberglass. luckily it came out in one big piece quite easily. Luckily the rot was contained to the tray only. I didn't want to spot weld the tray in to the outer panel and ruin the OG paint so instead I fitted it in and butt welded it. The light surface rust on the inner wheel arch will be treated with rust converter and killed. I was left with this:

New tray in and welds ground and high build primer applied and first sand done here.

Old repairs to the drivers rear fender, rear corner and small ding in the passenger lower corner are now ready for paint. The drivers corner wasn't probably worth repairing back in the day but since it was done and looked crappy. I fixed it a better and will make it match a whole lot better than before. See before pics of these spots earlier in thread.

The cargo floor had the typical spot under the triple seat mount. Somebody years ago thought some brown primer was going to fix this problem :roll: Since it is not needed for a 2/3 middle seat I used a nice original floor section and welded it in and now this way I won't have the low spot to collect water.

There was also a bunch of rock chip repairs done heavy handed. I stripped off the paint and will have to airbrush in some paint to clean these u. Again I am only repairing stuff that was already messed with and that I think I can improve on.

From this:

This was under it, it look like somebody sanded these spot. There is a bunch on the bus so I will fix them all.

The roof had some too, I stripped the repair paint and used rust converter on them to make sure that they are gone for good.

Rust converter takes the rust and turns it into carbon. Some sort of chemical reaction I guess. It works well.

This stuff:

12FJ62_AS01.JPG

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/images/items/zoom/12FJ62_AS01.JPG

Also found this door decal on the drivers door. I guess that accounts for the good solid condition of this van. Looks like one of the first maintenance's was done in San Jose California, The M code shows it was delivered to Los Angeles.

AS for parts hunting I have found a nice OG drivers outer mirror as it came with two passenger mirrors. The rear view mirror just fell apart as I pulled it off. Years of hot sun will do that to plastic I guess.

I also sourced an original 70's EMPI EZ-r shifter to use for its base. By using that it shortens the throw of the shifter by 40% and still retains the stock shifter rod. Looks totally stock at first glance. I also found an original shifter extention and an original Formula Vee wood shifter knob. I found an original add for the knob on the samba.

Also found a nice set of original (with VW stamped on top) front accessory grill trims

Also a set of NOS VW front door handle scuff guards.

And a set of Bosch European made H4's

Aside from that I have been picking up greasy engine tin bits and pieces and misc other parts, next up is to clean up the front floors. Thats all for now

A friend of mine was given the GoPro and never used it. I wanted to shoot a couple of videos of my vans this past summer so I borrowed it but it got in the way of working on them so it never happened.

Not a whole lot of progress on the bus the past few months. :( . I had vacation in early November and then cleaned up the front floors in Mid November. The past few weeks I have taken on a trim job for an American car that has ended up being more work than I thought. Here is the seat bottom from the front seats from the Chevy Nova, the backrests need a whole lot more work to get looking good as the new repro foam is shite!!

I played around a bit with a few different cleaners and polishes on the paint on the bus and I think I have nailed a bit of a plan on this paint to bring it back to life.

With some measuring and fitting of the wheels with tire I determined that I needed to change up the front tires and decided to leave the new combo on for time being for some inspiration

I hope to get back on this van hard in the next few weeks.

Well after too long of a hiatus, I was back out in the garage today working on the van. I removed the front beam and was originally going to run a 4" narrowed balljoint beam, but I had second thoughts and I had a new Wagenswest 5" narrowed, 1" raised beam sitting waiting for the right project and I think this bus is worthy of it. With the 1" raise I will have to notch the frame above the beam allowing it sit higher and giving the front as much clearance as a split bus beam if not a little more. Being a balljoint beam it should ride great with 3.5" of drop with the raise and the dropped spindles before I even adjust the beam down :D . I also had a really nice tight set of original tie rods that I narrowed. I got bored and started stripping the underseal on the passenger front inner fender. Here is a few pics of today progress:

Going to ride nice and low with the mods you are doing and like Lee has said above - very tidy, solid and clean 8)

With the beam out, I measured up and notched above the top tube to make way for the 1" raised beam. I have the notch cut out and beam in temporarily in. I am going to mock up the front end and then take it all apart for paint and detail and then weld back in the modified pieces that I cut out.

I hope to have it all together tomorrow

Measure once cut twice!!!!! :character0036:

No wait a minute,,,,,

Measure twice cut once!!!!!!

That's it!!!!

The beam is now mocked up to give me an idea of stance in the front. It will go really low but I think I will set it up so it has no tire gap as I 'm not a big fan of tubs. Here is few pics: (messy garage warning!!)

Nice,
very :mrgreen: over the speed your work, a real pleasure to see the updates.

There are a few (so called) pro's that should look at your work, It puts many of them to shame

Buss69 said:
Nice,

There are a few (so called) pro's that should look at your work, It puts many of them to shame

Thx bud, coming from a guy with your talent I really appreciate the comment. I just need you to fly over and wire me up a loom as beautiful as yours!!

squareweave said:
Buss69 said:
Nice,

Thx bud, coming from a guy with your talent I really appreciate the comment. I just need you to fly over and wire me up a loom as beautiful as yours!!

Sign me up buddy, I love Vancouver, some good people there. :D

Today I got the back suspension mocked up. First I cut out the bump stops and and brackets. I removed the bracket on the frame completely because I hate how messy it looks when its just hacked off and left. I used Slamwerks adjustable spring plates and Wagenswest 3.5" drop plates. It'll go REALLY low with this set up. I will have to make notches for the axles once I have the final height dialled in. Here is a few pics:

I'll try to get it outside tomorrow and get a better picture. The rear may need some adjusting yet and I will do this while my parts are still dirty rather than trying to dial it in once its all repainted and hardware replated.

Latest posts