71 Sierra Yellow, OG paint refresh

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

005.jpg

Looks familiar!!!
Mines. Crossover tho!!

If it turns out as good as the last one it'll be 8)
You still got the beige one??

Thanks for all of the kind comments!

Lee C said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

005.jpg

Looks familiar!!!
Mines. Crossover tho!!

If it turns out as good as the last one it'll be 8)
You still got the beige one??

Yes I still have the beige one, it's going nowhere. I have always like the look of a Sierra yellow bus and when this one came up for sale I jumped on it. Your van and sprintstar67 's 71 on here inspired me to get going on another project. My crossover was going to be next in line for a makeover but I guess it's going to have to wait. I kind of am looking forward to the challenge of building a detailed patina bus.

quentinfarquar said:
Cracking project, I never fancied the patina thing, but now I really love the look of a nice one..
I love patina but it must be detailed and time spent cleaning up the paint and the rest of the vehicle. I just can't get my head around a filthy faded out bus with rot that looks like it lived in the swamp for the past 25 years. Just my opinion but my OCD probably has something to do with that. :lol:

:D I inspired you??? :lol: :lol:
Detailed patina??? Sounds good!!!
Mine is shiney rat, shat look!! :lol:

Lee C said:
:D I inspired you??? :lol: :lol:
Detailed patina??? Sounds good!!!
Mine is shiney rat, shat look!! :lol:

You know................ detailed patina. Like this :lol:

from this-

to this-

Its funny how fast detailed patina paint makes your bus go :rofl:

Well, no updates lately meant that I was strayed to something else :oops: :oops: :oops:

I found this 64 all OG (paint, interior, motor and even the owners) TS squareback locally listed for sale. I went and looked at it ended up buying it. An early squareback has been on my bucket list for a long time. It has not been on the road since 1978 in an shed and only has 66000 on the odometer. Roland will probably appreciate this one:

I also took our beetle out of storage today as my wife has been on me to take it out of hibernation lately. It's kind of late in the year but I figured that I would drive it for the next month or so while the weather is still decent and then back it goes into hibernation. I built this car 16 years ago and for some reason or another we rarely drive it :?

So hopefully later this week I will get back on the 71 and have some real updates

Oh man that square is nice! You already have too much white cars, you should sell it to me indeed... ;)

Ps: did you get my PM?

Lee C said:
8) square !!
8) beetle!!!!!

How many motors you got????? :shock:

Too many :( . I can't seem to let go of anything, kind of a hoarder of VW's

roland said:
Oh man that square is nice! You already have too much white cars, you should sell it to me indeed... ;)

Ps: did you get my PM?

To funny, I always seem to stumble on Pearl White cars and buses. I didn't get your Pm until now. I have replied and we'll chat ;)

I just finished up a course at work, so now back onto the bus. I went to a little show/swap yesterday and picked up a few little bits for the bus. I also did a bit more work on the body. This bus had a few little repairs done long ago that I didn't like to I am fixing them up while keeping the og paint preservation theme.

It's good news, bad news kind of thing. The bad news is that some of the small repairs were done the easy route. The good news is that the bus never had any major problems and that no one ever gave the bus a total respray and killed the patina. And I will take a nice solid bus like this with a few blems over a rust bucket any day

So there was a little ding on the drivers side air duct and instead of pushing it out they just filled the whole dent. So I ground out the small spot of body filler and pulled the dent out properly. More blending action will take place here.

Before

After

The passengers bottom corner had a little ding and somebody spayed it with spray paint. I removed the spray paint and it looked like this:

After a bit of a massage it now looks like this:

Stud welders are magic if you have patience and you can work out the dent with beating the heck out of the metal.

squareweave said:
I got the tires installed tonight at Dales motorsports. The M-code plate on the bus designates "Continental " tires so when it came time to buy tires there was only one choice :idea: Balanced and mounted and ready to go.

I also got the windshield out, its the first baywindow bus I have owned that came with a good windshield and it cracked on me. Oh well, you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette!!

Wow, another exciting project fella. Just finished reading the thread on the sunroof model. OMG it's absolutely beautiful, I really love the interior pics unbelievable work. It's going to be exciting seeing what happens here.

So I have a couple of questions that I wonder if you can answer? What size tyres are you using here?
And.
I read that you used canned air to remove the underseal by freezing it. Would you mind sticking up a pic of what you used so we can all see. Really impressed with the results. Good work as always, keep it up.

Buss69 said:
Wow, another exciting project fella. Just finished reading the thread on the sunroof model. OMG it's absolutely beautiful, I really love the interior pics unbelievable work. It's going to be exciting seeing what happens here.

So I have a couple of questions that I wonder if you can answer? What size tyres are you using here?
And.
I read that you used canned air to remove the underseal by freezing it. Would you mind sticking up a pic of what you used so we can all see. Really impressed with the results. Good work as always, keep it up.

Thanks for the kind words about beige bus. The tires that I am running on the 71 are 175/55r15 Continental fronts and 185/65r15 Continental rears. I am building this bus to be my cruiser to go to the shows and swaps in so I went with the 175/55r15 front tire for comfort, but I should still be able to tuck the front tires. Plus the M code on this van stated "Continental tires" so it couldn't be anything else. ;) Its all in the details for me. For the front I have a set of Wagens West dropped spindles and a 4' narrowed balljoint beam. For the rear I have a set of Slamwerks adjustable spring plates and I also have a set of horseshoe pates on standby. I am not a big fan of a big rake on a bus, so the rear will be tucked good too

As far as the can of air I used I will post a picture today. I am heading out to the garage for the day in a bit. Its still 6am in the morning here.

squareweave said:
As far as the can of air I used I will post a picture today. I am heading out to the garage for the day in a bit. Its still 6am in the morning here.

Thanks for the heads-up with the tyres. I like the combo, i've considered similar but have always had an issue with what tyre I should use as a spare in case of a flat. What are you doing?

Cheers for the can pic in advance given the tie difference. Have to say I love that part of Canada. I spent 3 weeks on Vancouver Island a few yeas ago, part holiday, part job working on a surf show. We didn't want to leave and would love to go back. Cheers Paul.

Buss69 said:
squareweave said:

Thanks for the heads-up with the tyres. I like the combo, i've considered similar but have always had an issue with what tyre I should use as a spare in case of a flat. What are you doing?

Cheers for the can pic in advance given the tie difference. Have to say I love that part of Canada. I spent 3 weeks on Vancouver Island a few yeas ago, part holiday, part job working on a surf show. We didn't want to leave and would love to go back. Cheers Paul.

Here is the compressed air I used. When you give it a shake and then turn it upside down before spraying it it comes out cold and frosty.

As far as a spare goes I will run one that is the same as the fronts. Over here the only car that runs a 175/55r15 is a smart car. We don't have a lot of cars that run small tires like that. The rear size is quite easy to find as they come stock on a lot of small Nissan's, Toyota's etc. So the smaller tire would get you to the tire shop and then swap. If it was around town unless you have Posi it should do any damage on the trip home.

Vancouver Island is a beauty. I guess you guys were probably up in Tofino. The road into there is a real bitch driving an old bus. If you come back, make sure to give me a shout.

Thanks bud, I'll see what I can get here.

And yes Tofino was the place. That road in a stupidly large RV is also interesting. I'll definitely shout if we come back. Thanks again.

Latest posts