DELUXE CLOCKS AND TACHOMETERS - 1st batch now on sale

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What product would you be interested in?

• I would possibly buy a clock

Votes: 36 32.1%
  • I would possibly buy a Tachometer

Votes: 91 81.3%
  • I wouldn't purchase either product

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters

aspro

Reaction score
PROBLEM: I’ve always been intrigued by the prices deluxe clocks fetch and how scarce they are becoming. We pay top dollar for 30-40 year old timepieces, that aren’t even guaranteed to work. I've always said “why isn’t anyone reproducing these.”

SOLUTION: So I thought I’d do something about it…I’ve spent months speaking to various people across the world and now have the technology, materials and know how to reproduce an exact replica of a T2 deluxe clock. The entire clock is made up of brand new parts all reproduced as per the original. The clock movement is a modern day VDO quartz movement so you have reliability without the ticking sound.

PRODUCTION, TIMING AND PRICING: I’m about to throw the switch to begin production but have been having doubts regarding the popularity of such a clock and what people would be willing to pay for one. Whilst they look quite simple in the dash, they actually have a lot of intricate parts - each component requiring specific tooling to reproduce. As a result, I have struggled to keep the production costs down. I'm genuinly not out to make a huge profit or to cash in on the scene. The clocks will be available early March and will be priced in the vicinity of a used original clock.

TACHOMETERS: In addition to the clocks I'm also producing some Tachometers. As we all know they where never offered by VW as a factory option but the spare pod appaers to be a popular place to mount one. Once again it will be made up of brand new parts and be an exact match to the original instruments.

FEEDBACK: I would really appreciate some feedback from you guys to see whether or not you would be interested in buying one of these clocks. Let me know what you think and please be honest. I know it’s hard to answer without seeing the reproduction but I can assure you they are going to be very very close to the original. I have to commit to some pretty large quantities just to get anyone to make the parts I need.

So what do you all think? Am I onto something or smutting the scene up with more repro crap?

I wouldnt buy either, but ive got a clock and a odeometer which i bought at decent prices before people started paying their mortgages with them. :shock:

I think the price is something to do with the availability (low) and alot to do with greedy people (high)
Im sure your clocks will sell but if everyone can buy one, ie a repo then the price of the original drops and so the price of your repos must fall in line with that price. Its not long before they are costing you more to make than they are worth. Limited time, Limited market.

Good luck.

I've already got an original clock, and while it is useful, I would prefer to have a period-looking, matching tachometer instead of it.

One point I would make with regard to the tachometer though - stock aircooled engines rev to a max of 4.5k iirc? Those with 'hot' motors may get 6k out of them? Most of the tachos on sale at the moment are 8k or 10k tachs, and are a bit overkill imho. If there was a tach on the market that had a max of 5 or 6k (perhaps with an adjustable redline, like some others) that was a very good match to the speedo and gauges, I would buy it.

I can only agree with the above comments regarding the clocks.

Once you did start making them then the supply may exceed demand and the price would plummet.

The tacho idea sounds a winner,I've seen pics on here of folk making similar for themselves,
I would be very interested in one to replace the non working clock I have at the moment!

Be keen to see a mock up,good luck.

An in-dash tach, placed where the clock would normally be, and of similar appearance to the speedo, rated to 6k revs (ie, not 8k or 10k as others on the market are..) would be of interest at the right price..

Not so interested in the clock TBH..

Great feedback guys. Very much appreciated.

I've sourced some VDO tachs that rev to a maximum of 7K. Slightly overkill for an aircooled but there's nothing smaller on the market.

Dub_Dreams said:
An in-dash tach, placed where the clock would normally be, and of similar appearance to the speedo, rated to 6k revs (ie, not 8k or 10k as others on the market are..) would be of interest at the right price..

Not so interested in the clock TBH..

Ditto here. 7K max would be fine for me.

Yep I would def' be in for a tacho...not bothered about a deluxe clock. I think anyone with a "custom" bus wouldn't be too worried about having a clock, only those wanting to build or restore an exact deluxe replica...and that is why they pay the big bucks! But a tacho that matches the rest of the instrument cluster and works...yes please!

I just voted and a tacho all the way for me! I agree with Clyde about repro clocks but a earlybay Tacho in the same font/typeface/style as the other dials is unique and there is nothing on the market that I know of which would match.

A great idea ! 8)

I would certainly be interested in a tacho if it matched the other instruments perfectly in terms of face/font and needle styles.

As above though, my bus motor won't ever see much above 4000RPM (if ever) so I don't need tacho which can read to 10k...
In an ideal world, two variants would be offered, one which reads 0-5000RPM and one which reads 0-7000 (or more) RPM.
Could still use the same internals, but a different 'face' which has a greater angle with numbers printed on it to allow it to 'read' higher, if that makes sense? :)

Something like this: ;)

3970608.jpg

But with much better mounting tabs and a shade less than $305 :shock:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1161899

I'd be interested.

tomedwar72 said:

I'd be interested.

That looks pretty much perfect in my eyes... (although I agree about the mounting tabs) :)

At £222 or so posted (before you pay taxes etc which would be a fair bit more) it's a bit rich for me...

Tofufi said:
tomedwar72 said:

I'd be interested.

That looks pretty much perfect in my eyes... (although I agree about the mounting tabs) :)

At £222 or so posted (before you pay taxes etc which would be a fair bit more) it's a bit rich for me...

You can say that's where my motivation to produce them came from but it's not where the idea came from.

I can confidently say the retail price will be less than the samba one, they will be a much better reproduction with quality laser cut and pressed components. The dials will be printed and pressed to create the dome like shape, not just a stick on paper printout like the one above.

aspro said:
I can confidently say the retail price will be less than the samba one, they will be a much better reproduction with quality laser cut and pressed components. The dials will be printed and pressed to create the dome like shape, not just a stick on paper printout like the one above.

:D Sounds good to me!

It might be worth your while talking with some of the bigger companies selling parts and accessories for aircooled, to see if they would maybe put in some bulk orders. This might enable you to get your unit costs down and reduce the aggro of selling them direct.

Its also possible there might be interest from T3 and T4 owners too (the cars not the commercials :lol: )

Just an idea...

Well I'm a little suprised so many people are keen on the Tacho and not too many want a clock. The Tacho was due to be released a while after the clocks but I'm now thinking of pushing them forward and getting them out.

Really impressed with the positive comments and great feedback,

Latest posts