DELUXE CLOCKS AND TACHOMETERS - 1st batch now on sale

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What product would you be interested in?

• I would possibly buy a clock

Votes: 36 32.1%
  • I would possibly buy a Tachometer

Votes: 91 81.3%
  • I wouldn't purchase either product

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
Tacho for me to replace the black VDO one I have at present. depends on cost needs to be reasonable.

Ok, so here's a thought: there are a few tachometers out there that let you select the engine cylinder number. Say you had a 10,000rpm gauge and set it so that it thought the number of cylinders was two and not four. It would count one ignition pulse as one rev so the range would be halved - you then have a 0-5000rpm tacho?

Is this something someone can try (assuming they have a tacho that lets you set 2-cylinder cycles)?

Another option would be a simple circuit to double-up the number of input ignition pulses and put this into a 0-10,000rpm gauge. I could speak with some folks at work if this would help and pass on any info.

tomedwar72 said:
Ok, so here's a thought: there are a few tachometers out there that let you select the engine cylinder number. Say you had a 10,000rpm gauge and set it so that it thought the number of cylinders was two and not four. It would count one ignition pulse as one rev so the range would be halved - you then have a 0-5000rpm tacho?

Is this something someone can try (assuming they have a tacho that lets you set 2-cylinder cycles)?

Another option would be a simple circuit to double-up the number of input ignition pulses and put this into a 0-10,000rpm gauge. I could speak with some folks at work if this would help and pass on any info.

Sounds interesting and I never considered that at all. The only issue is I have already sourced an appropriate Tacho and design of components is all matched up to it. 7000 RPM with a 270 degree sweep will look great. At 4000 RPM the needle is sweeping 180 degrees so it's probably sufficient movement.

Tacho for me dependant on final product and cost! As for the clocks no need as time doesn't seem to be important when out driving the bus :mrgreen:

sparkywig said:
I'm in for a tacho, depending on final costs.

Ditto re tacho or me too. most stereo headunits/ipods will display the time so I don't really see the need to repro the clock when the tacho would be far more useful.

faulty clocks are easily fixed (some solder) theres a technical write up on how to do it on this site. 99% of the time the fault is always the same.

Still in developemental stages. That's a smart way of saying I haven't pulled my finger out for a while now. Sorry about the major delay guys. Been travelling and since I got back I've been building a place for us to live over the winter. Weather is getting cold and thhe family is still bunked up in our caravan.

Rest assured, the tacho's will be made. I'm too far in the hole now to turn back. As for timings?????????

Definitely not wanting to piss on the fireworks but Autometer do a custom service if you could be bothered:

http://www.ampcustomshop.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's another way of skinning the same cat!

Personally if i had kept a standard dash I would look at both options, but then I'm slightly obsessive compulsive!

Not pissing on the fireworks at all. From what I've gathered the ampcustom shop option is replacing all 3 guage pods to match. Slightly different and a much bigger headache to what I'm offering. But in saying that, I would also be looking at other options too. OG isn't for everyone. :)

I'd possibly be interested in a tacho, but like the rest depending on cost and final price.
The most ideal in the end (personally speaking) would be a tacho and oil temp in one, but yeah guess this is near impossible ?

To be affordable a project like this must rely on changing the dial and pointer of an existing rev counter of the correct diameter.

Building something from scratch is of course possible but only if the customer is willing to pay the considerable costs.

If you can find a suitable pointer then its possible to make one yourself using something like this to lay on the dial :-

revcountertemplate.gif

The colour may need tweaking depending on the type/quality of printer being used.

This is scaled to fit a typical 8000 rpm rev counter but anybody with some plop skills can modify this to fit onto other scales.

I was going to do this to my current Jaeger rev counter but in the end I discovered I am simply not OCD enough to bother :lol:

Latest posts