• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Z HINGES WANTED PUT YOUR NAME DOWN HERE

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stupid question but i have a set (the master set) but what is a reasonable price for you guys?

obviously your going to want the mas cheap as possible but I need to find a good price to try and get the cost down to?

Is £150 to much still?

Come on give me a hand here!

Hi,

I think looking from that thread that it depends where you place the hook and latch whihc supports the back of the upright section of the bench seat.

If you look at the first guy he's cleary fitted it wrong the pictures further down the thread show a guy with one which look right.

405210.jpg

Hopefully i'll get my set back in time to fit them properly in time for dub freeze if anyone who is thinking about getting some from me or whoever wants to look at them!

Yeah it should if fitted correctly and youll see it in the pic lower down fella ...

I've only seen one of these in the flesh as it were and it looked factory, I dont know what was going on in that first pic.... :? even without the hooks ....

If its closer to easter which sounding like it then yeah I could probably stretch to that..... got jury service coming up and will be down in pay for the duration :x ..... plus got my nice new roof rack curtousy of Design 21 in the spray shop as I speak which needs paying for :D

ddffrost, have you looked into this?

slim_adi said:
we could still have a look at producing a few sets if you like ?
pm me your number and i'll get andy to ring you to discuss

Adi

I'm sure you would be able to make a few quid from it if your templates were used?

To be honest, for me £150/£175 is a lot of cash.

I think the price of originals may even be lower than that if you could ever find any!

I'm still up for them, but £150 is above secondhand RnR bed territory. :)

mcvw said:
Hi,

I really really don't want to p*ss on anybody's fireworks... but...

If this were to be manufactured, does anybody know how (or if) it would get MOT/insurance type approval?

I ask this from the safety point of view, as we have three kids who would sit on this seat and therefore we'd have to know that the mechanism/product would not interefere (or compromise) the seat belt mountings in any way.

I do appreciate that not everybody has kids - or wants rear seat belts - so please don't think I'm dissing this product as I am not, I think it's a great "factory-looking" alternative to an r-n-r bed.

However, from a cost point of view - £175 wouldn't position it much cheaper than a Bluebird r-n-r bed (which is MOT approved).

Thanks,

Mike

Surely when in seat mode, the rear seat is in approximately the same position as stock? Therefore the seatbelts would work the same?

I also didn't know that modifications had to be "approved" in this country. Personally, as far as I am concerned, if the seat stays locked in seat mode in the event of an accident then I'd be happy with that. I assume it has some kind of locking mech etc?

Hi,

yer if fitted correctly the upright seat should be the same as before you fitted the hinges and yes you can still use seat belts as they aren't anchored onto the seats but the bus chasis.

i'll look into every option to make the hinges as cheap as possible so far been to 3 steel fabricators and got another 2 lined up as well as sli adi so dont worry i'm trying

dont buy a rock n roll bed there shit i speak from experience!

mcvw said:
Q: When the seat is in the upright position - does the backrest sit at the original/factory height/angle, or is it in a more reclined position?

The reason I ask is because of this (found on thesamba.com):

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=272547

I've got these in my van and the upright position is exactly the same as standard. Not sure how he managed to get it to recline like that although to my knowledge they were produced for bays not splits - not sure whether that would make a difference or not? The hooks (which I don't have) are only there to assist in reclinging the seat, they're not there to hold the seat up. I've go inertia seatbelts at the back - had to make sure the angle I fixed the reels at didn't obstruct the seat as it moves into position.

ddfrost "dont buy a rock n roll bed there shit i speak from experience!"

must say im surprised you say that as 90% of campers have rock and roll beds including westys are you saying vw was wrong surely not :D

I got the expensive one from Jk and it just seemded a right pain in the arse to use.

Maybe old school VW actually work but the one i had was more trouble than it was worth!

On the other matter of seat angle i think the guy in the splitty had done something wrong there!

Tofufi - your right that a second hand set are cheaper, usually around 75 - 100 notes but then when was the last time you saw a set? they are bloody hard to get hold of.....and its not only you that finds it a lot of cash :lol: I'm not gonna tell helen, saying that she'll be paying...... :?

Ah well it will work out in the end.....

Latest posts