• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Z HINGES WANTED PUT YOUR NAME DOWN HERE

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dave i`m assuming when you say first come first served the guys , myself included , who already have their names down on this list will be able to buy a set as soon as they have been fabricated
just so as to clear up any confusion at the outset
cheers my friend :wink:
stevie boy

you got it mate all you early bay peeps are first on the list

got 10 sets coming first should cover all of you guys!

if there is enough demand in the vw scene i can get more sets made so everyone gets them cheaper!

the guy who's doing the sets is a mate but he's really busy with profitable work at the minute so new year should bring you all nice sets of hinges!

Dave

Lucky you i'm just paying back my student loan now which blows big time

First guy let me down big time he had the hinges until a week ago and reconed it would be around £100 then turns around and quotes me £400 per set based on a order for 10 sets

I think he has just got to much work on and has give me a silly quote so i will take my business else where which i am.

Got two more guys quoting on them but they both seem to think its not going to be cheap cos its only a small order if i can get more orders the price will come down

Bit gutted cos i was hoping to make a few quid on them but i'm not sure its going to be affordable i cant see anyone wanting to pay more than £100 a set!

I will get the two other quotes next week

Dave

If its a no go i am happy to let others have a go see if they can get them made up using my set as a template

I may be able to help there dd if its a no go your end Ill get em off you at the meet at sherwood if you dont mind.....theres a real good fabricators near me.....

No I dont mind dude if it helps out other people i'm all for it.

See what the two ther guys come up with still though! I think the problem is the fact there are only about 10 orders so far which makes the price per set alot higher

Maybe we should try and see who is still interested and see if we cant bump the numbers back up?

I'm sure that if you had them made, they would sell fairly well on sites such as VZi or JK. Do they fit splits too? People with late bays might not be on here too.

Obviously getting more made is a greater cost to spend in the first place though.

The other way is get a few extra sets made up for the first show and have your bus fitted with one for viewing..... speculate to accumulate...

i'm a bit short on cash at the minute so i'd struggle to get alot of sets made but we'll see what happens.

if i cant make a go of it i'm happy for someone else to if it helps out more dubbers

ok guys just stumbled across this thread call me thick but how do these hinges work as my bus is a micro at minute but i was going to convert does this turn the seats in to a bed if so how anybody have any pics

Yes, the hinges turn the rearmost seat into a bed. Similar to a full width camping RnR bed. With this, you would want some foam or an inflatable matress to smooth out the joins between the seats. But it keeps a microbus as a microbus for when you need a people carrier, which is my plan.

I *think* you may need to move the middle row of seats before camping, but that is simply 8 bolts so not too tricky.

I plan to make a wooden cooker unit that can be thrown into the bus behind the drivers seat for camping trips, and keep it as an 8 seat microbus all the rest of the time - as I don't do much camping, and it is my daily driver and often needs to carry more than 5 people.

if you want the proper definition go to the samba.com and search for them there but they basically allow you to keep your present bench seat but it allows you to fold it flat with the top of the engine bay forming a level platform to sleep on

here are some handy pics of it in action (not on my van)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Prices

Ok i've been to three seperate steel fabricators now the first price was £450 per set which is just silly

Manged to find a company that will do them for £175 per set this is based on the best possible product so they wont be a peice of crap that will brake after one season not like the tat you get on rock n roll beds from certain unamed companies

Do we think this is ok or still to much? This is based on no profit for me i might add.

Dave

Let me know if anyone is interested and if so i can get takes orders and get them made as soon as really.

Hi,

I really really don't want to p*ss on anybody's fireworks... but...

If this were to be manufactured, does anybody know how (or if) it would get MOT/insurance type approval?

I ask this from the safety point of view, as we have three kids who would sit on this seat and therefore we'd have to know that the mechanism/product would not interefere (or compromise) the seat belt mountings in any way.

I do appreciate that not everybody has kids - or wants rear seat belts - so please don't think I'm dissing this product as I am not, I think it's a great "factory-looking" alternative to an r-n-r bed.

However, from a cost point of view - £175 wouldn't position it much cheaper than a Bluebird r-n-r bed (which is MOT approved).

Thanks,

Mike

You raise a good point i'm not sure about the MOT point but the original design was all about not compramising the microbus features so you can have your seat belts fitted whilst you have the hinges in place.

Also have you seen the quality of the rock n roll beds on the market?

I fitted the more expensive JK one and stripped it out about two weeks later!

The more orders we get the cheaper we can do them i'm not doing this to make money and its been a bit of a pain so far to be honest!

Latest posts