vanputer / carputer build thread (in progress)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Productive evening - installed and cabled up the pc - some more (crap quality - phone camera!) pics:

It's alive! - booted up into XP setup from the USB painlessly following instructions previously posted - configured using a monitor first then put in a 3G dongle to get web access for driver downloads:

a5f96463.jpg

Installed touchscreen and displaylink software for the screen - had to disable on the onboard VGA card to get it to take the USB monitor as the primary but worked after that:

6bdf484c.jpg

cb6524d6.jpg

Then screwed down the case and tidied up the wiring under the bench - looks neat enough - will get busier as I install more stuff:

3baa6fdd.jpg

095c53c7.jpg

And that's it for now - next on the list:

put the monitor back in the cab
Get a bluetooth dongle to connect to my GPS and also to connect to my phone for handsfree
Install a mic in the cab for handsfree
Install amp & speakers under bench to get sound working (going to look at 12V speakers to see if I can get around an amp for now)
Install USB cam for rearview/reversing
Install the phidgets board
Install the sensors for RPM/Temp/contacts

Will post up some shots of the cab with screen setup and interface

firstly very cleverb stuff ......you lost me when you mentioned ram and vista lol

just one thought though ...........Install a mic in the cab for handsfree... i have an iphone which i use for the stereo and when someone calls the music stops the call comes through the speakers and i talk back to them when call ends and music returns where it left off , if you have a ipod touch i know you can convert it to a phone using your wifi signal then you wouldnt need a mic and youd have free calls too !!

regards
chris

crede999 said:
firstly very cleverb stuff ......you lost me when you mentioned ram and vista lol

just one thought though ...........Install a mic in the cab for handsfree... i have an iphone which i use for the stereo and when someone calls the music stops the call comes through the speakers and i talk back to them when call ends and music returns where it left off , if you have a ipod touch i know you can convert it to a phone using your wifi signal then you wouldnt need a mic and youd have free calls too !!

regards
chris

Hi,

See what you are saying - I had fun and games trying to get my iphone to work on bluetooth as the audio profile doesn't support music, but if you connect it as a phone and then play music via the iphone it comes through your speakers :? - all very bizzare!

The software supports the phone though so it would connect, then try to use the mic on the pc :x - so think it might be easier to get the bits, then I can leave my phone in my pocket and it should connect when I get in the van - I've got an old ipod nano that I sync the same tunes to and that's now installed under the bench so I can play directly from it which is cool

As it is ebuyer had some dirt cheap stuff - a mic for £3.50 and a bluetooth USB adapter for £4 :shock: so they'll be coming in at the weekend to keep me busy 8)

Like the idea of using wifi/3G on the iphone for calls - mines on PAYG which means I don't make many calls on it at all

looking good dude 8)

I have a cut down version of XP (still needs you key so legal) and removes quite a lot of the dross that MS puts on it that is not needed - speeds up the boot time and also makes it run better due to less services running) - I could do you a copy if you want? PM me if you want a copy

gninnam said:
looking good dude 8)

I have a cut down version of XP (still needs you key so legal) and removes quite a lot of the dross that MS puts on it that is not needed - speeds up the boot time and also makes it run better due to less services running) - I could do you a copy if you want? PM me if you want a copy

Cheers for the offer! - much appreciated

At the moment it does seem to be rapid - it's only got the main centrafuse software, vodafone connect and drivers for screen but I'm sure it'll take the windows xp time installed incremental slowdown :D - may take you up after seeing how it beds in :lol:

young_dubya said:
This is friggin awesome!! How much does it cost to set up?? If you dont mind me asking :mrgreen:

No problem at all (as long as my wife doesn't see this thread ;) :roll: )

Rough costs

Windows XP = *cough* erm nothing (sure I've got a license from the many I've purchased over the years officer)
Motherboard = £50
Memory = £20
Hard drive = £30
Case + PSU = £80 (ish - got the wrong mobo for the PSU - should have been £50)
Centrafuse software inc Europe Navigation (it's cheaper without) = £90
USB Bluetooth = £5 (bargain)
Screen = £100

So not tooo bad for a brand new pc setup - around £280 all in? What helped is I got the bits together over the last 6 months so spread out the cost (and compared to buying the van a drop in the ocean!) -

If I compare it to a traditional setup:

Semi-decent head unit £200
Europe enabled sat-nav £200
Bluetooth phone setup £50

that's £450 so I reckon that apart from the faffing around it's a decent system for the price compared to doing it the usual way? Certainly when you look at the DVD playing head units with the double din screens :shock:

So tonight I thought I'd pull apart my duck tape and cable tie effort at securing the screen to the ashtray and look at a more permanent way to mount - the position is perfect but the screen tilts on the bracket which makes it wobble when you use the touchscreen:

7268a9cf.jpg

8ad33173.jpg

So took it apart - and after 2 hours of working out how else to fit it.......I super glued the bracket at the right angle and just put it back together with...erm...cable ties and duck tape :mrgreen:

0960244d.jpg

41cbd601.jpg

Got the satnav to display properly (tip - take satnav off fullscreen in the menu and it will display the title bar correctly, took me ages to work that one out!):

d5694a9e.jpg

Sorted out the front page menu items for quick access - it's really customisable so easy to add your own or pick from loads of in built apps:

d3b800b9.jpg

Some more shots of it in place - pretty rock solid and I can remove it in seconds:

e47055b5.jpg

bf43f626.jpg

d91f2b64.jpg

Get the USB Bluetooth adapter and mic at the weekend so should be hands free and will update

Larry

Out of interest could something like this be used as the PC? http://www.businessdirect.bt.com/products/samsung-q1-ultra-a110-1gb-40gb-xp-tablet-7--63YR.html?refs=4294951013#imagegallery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Graham L said:
Larry

Out of interest could something like this be used as the PC? http://www.businessdirect.bt.com/products/samsung-q1-ultra-a110-1gb-40gb-xp-tablet-7--63YR.html?refs=4294951013#imagegallery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like it runs centrafuse fine and you can get some nice mounting options:

http://forums.fluxmedia.net/all-one-systems/6114-samsung-q1-ultra.html

Mounting video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz0rm0-FhYY

I did try mine with a couple of laptops but hit issues on the power inverter - or using a 12V adapter not being able to power a docking station so having to unplug cables e.t.c. when I wanted to take it out - eventually going down the dedicated car pc route as it's always installed (discreetly) and is fully automatic with the powersupply, so turn on ignition and it boots straight in, with more off an OEM feel to it that a laptop that I had to keep logging into and opening the screen

You can buy bundles with the software, screen and carpc pre-built by various firms that come in just over the same cost for the UMPC (but include centrafuse and the screen e.t.c.) - here's some examples:
http://www.carcomputer.co.uk/shop/total-package/total-package-4
http://www.in-carpc.co.uk/diy.htm

Depends really on what you are after - interesting comment that the guy who did have it working eventually moved to a dedicated PC and screen

Though looking at youtube clips of the Samsung Q1 it does look like a sweet piece of kit to have around 8)

Thaks to this post I have starte dcollectin parts for a car PC not as fancy as this, but ossibly enough to watch movies and play music.

AxlFoley said:
Thaks to this post I have starte dcollectin parts for a car PC not as fancy as this, but ossibly enough to watch movies and play music.

If you'd like my M1-ATX 12V power supply then you're welcome to it for postage costs ;) - drop me a PM if so

Came with the case but not used as my motherboard needed a 2x2 power supply connector the same as the P4 motherboards need that the M2-ATX PSU has but older one doesn't - it's 60W iirc - let me know if it is/isn't of use!

I have soooo got a chubby over this... Will be building one when I can :party0021:

lard said:
gninnam said:
looking good dude 8)

Cheers for the offer! - much appreciated

At the moment it does seem to be rapid - it's only got the main centrafuse software, vodafone connect and drivers for screen but I'm sure it'll take the windows xp time installed incremental slowdown :D - may take you up after seeing how it beds in :lol:

No problem mate - ready when you are :D

Sure - mac mini would do it - though going through the maccar section you are limited in functionality for a frontend http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/maccar/

Or can you run linux on a mac mini? If so openICE looks quite good http://wiki.openice.org/index.php?title=Getting_started_with_OpenICE

Was browsing through and found a good thread for those who want to learn more about car pc's - this is the mp3car.com forum and is fantastic for all things related - great reviews on front ends, hardware, e.t.c. e.t.c. - this is also where you get roadrunner (which went commercial but is still available to those who register on mp3car.com ;) )
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/newbie/78795-new-carpcs-dont-know-where-start.html

Yes, you can run Windows/Mac Os/Linux on a MacMini. but OsX has the best of it all ;)

Looks like an expensive office you made yourself. Keeping an eye on your thread - to see if you sucksee! Good luck, awsome job =)

Latest posts