vanputer / carputer build thread (in progress)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lard

Reaction score
Whilst waiting for my van I've started thinking about the carputer setup to go along with my shiny new leisure system,

For those that aren't familiar it's basically a permanantly (and discreetly) installed computer system offering DVD, Video, SatNav, Music via ipod/Radio, bluetooth phone control, vehicle diagnotics and logging.

You can build a dedicated hardware setup for these but as I'm going to have a leisure system the cheaper option is to use a micro PC as the base install and use 12V -> 19V transformers for the power.

The basic components so far - the interfaces for monitoring will be interesting so if anyone has done this already would be good to know.

So the components I'm intending to use are:

Acer Veritron L410 running Vista:

1286566.jpg

Have one already and it cost £160 wholesale about 12 months ago - but doesn't need to be a monster system as it's going to be running centrafuse for the frontend

Connected into this - lilliput 7'' touchscreen display for mounting in the cab:
mon0013.jpg

This will be the easy part of the setup - connectivity wise I'll need:

Bluetooth USB card for the PC
USB GPS unit (have a bluetooth one but want to connect phone so will probably get a hardwired one)
Wireless 3G router (a router with a USB 3G card in that shares this connection via wireless - so my laptop can also use the 3G when needed :) )

The app I will run is centrafuse - great skin for XP that also provides the satnav application and is geared up for the smaller touchscreen monitor http://www.fluxmedia.net/Default.aspx

For a demo of the interface http://www.fluxmedia.net/default.aspx?s=demo
45522d1192299333-centrafuse-beta-1-40-aura.jpg

Features:

MEDIA PLAYER
MEDIA MANAGER
SAT/HD RADIO
AM/FM RADIO
10-BAND EQUALIZER
FULL MIXER CONTROLS
BUILT-IN UPDATER
BLUETOOTH PHONE INTEGRATION
GPS NAVIGATION
TOUCH WEB BROWSER
WEATHER MODULE
EMAIL CLIENT
TEXT-TO-SPEECH
DVD PLAYER
VOICE CONTROL
MP3 PLAYER SUPPORT
DIRECT IPOD SUPPORT
USB MEDIA DEVICES
MULTI-LANGUAGE
MULTI-SCREENS
REAR CAMERA
TMC SUPPORT *
CUSTOM INTERFACES

The part where it gets interesting though (as OBDII support isn't relevant :D ) is for the engine monitoring of the bus - to get this to interface with the vanputer and centrafuse I'll use a device called a "phidgets"

Type of interface:
gtrdash2.jpg

Off to spec up the phidgets system and sensors required along with details on the centrafuse plugin to work with the phidgets

update to follow...

o.k. for phidgets - which in summary is system that allows you to place sensors (like temp, airflow, rpm. tilt light e.t.c.) and also servo's - so things like open doors 8) - it does this using a phidgets interface board:

1018.jpg

http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=1018

and finally the sensors themselves - I'm thinking temperature, voltage & contact closures for starters?

http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?category=1

types are:

Distance/Range
Force/Pressure
Touch
Motion
Environmental
Input
Voltage/Current

plus a camera for centrafuse rearview setup - missed that one off the list!

Once the hardware above has been connected via USB to the PC - install the phidgets plugin for centrafuse:
phiplug2_4b4.jpg

http://forums.fluxmedia.net/downloads/centrafuse-plug-ins/2/phidgets-11/

That should be enough for a pretty sweet build giving all the entertainment required - I'm thinking about a second monitor setup to put in the back for watching stuff onsite but may have issues with twin monitor support (only one GPU and no PCI slots on the microPC so may just go for a switch to change output monitor)

That's the concept anyway for the build - personally think it will be an awesome setup and the possibilities for monitoring and logging vehicle data seem endless :)

Any one got any idea's / input / experience on this?

Considering getting one of these for the bus: http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seeing as I need it rolling roaded anyway - thought I might try it myself with some data logging, just so happens that it can connect to a boost sensor as well - handy should I ever decide to go turbo ;)

very interesting...as I run/ will be running a subaru wrx motor with OBD 2 i assume this would be fairly easily integrated then by using the existing subaru senders?
Or have I massivley over simplified it!?!

I also have air suspension so would i be able to integrate this into such a system for either for simply metering each air bags PSI? even better would be to have an intergrated control centre although the control could be an issue depnding how relaible the computer would be.

I was orignally goiung to do the air and engine status with Dakota digital equipment, use an old laptop or handheld diagnstic for engine stuff and then get all the other things like sat nav/ music seperatly but your solution looks more cost effective since you get all of these options in one package.

will you be marketing this system to less competer literate of us? or is this just a personal project?

richbaker78 said:
very interesting...as I run/ will be running a subaru wrx motor with OBD 2 i assume this would be fairly easily integrated then by using the existing subaru senders?
Or have I massivley over simplified it!?!

I also have air suspension so would i be able to integrate this into such a system for either for simply metering each air bags PSI? even better would be to have an intergrated control centre although the control could be an issue depnding how relaible the computer would be.

I was orignally goiung to do the air and engine status with Dakota digital equipment, use an old laptop or handheld diagnstic for engine stuff and then get all the other things like sat nav/ music seperatly but your solution looks more cost effective since you get all of these options in one package.

will you be marketing this system to less competer literate of us? or is this just a personal project?

Hi,

If you have the OBD interfaces then it should be fine to take the measurements into Centrafuse - they list the following adapters as compatable:

http://store.mo-co-so.com/obdiiinterfaces-c-31.html - this would then be integrated in the main UI rather than as an addon:
OBD-II_Big.jpg

Though I assume you'll need to retain a good portion of the wiring loom and ECU to get this working?

With regards the air suspension and pressure monitoring...not sure - but if you can get a sensor for it then it can be hooked into phidgets - though if you are going to use an external application then this is also supported in the centrafuse interface as it runs XP so any app can be running and switched to

This is a personal project but I'm more than happy to help out with anyone who wants to also give it a go! You can get purpose built centrafuse systems with all the gumph like bluetooth, wifi, cams, sound cards & monitors pre-built but I fancy the challenge of building my own :)

I'm now looking at a laptop to do this due to the PC hard-drive not being up to scratch - should really just buy a solid state drive but I'm liking the idea of laptop docking station wired in that I can just remove, also works better with stanby/hibernate than a PC,

For pre-built systems check out these guys http://www.carcomputer.co.uk/ & more idea's on spec/price here http://store.mo-co-so.com/carpcsprebuilt-c-24_26.html

Monitor I'm liking at the moment is USB so I can have a single graphics card with a large screen in the back and touchscreen in the front for nav:
1029423-a.jpg

Hi!

This looks really good, i was thinking of a in car pc system in my old 71 Landrover Safari, but never got around to it, may have to re think and start my project again?! Though suppose best sort out the cooker, hob, fridge and heater install first.......
Watching this all with much interest!

Cheers!

Alistair

i've got an ongoing project in my split.

as an extra interface (so i don't need to have the screen out all the time) i have ripped the guts out of an old blaupunkt radio.

I have got the on off switch to switch my amps on, the volume controls winamp volume. the radio presets - the first one connects to the pc on-off switch so a quick presss switches on, a longer press shuts down etc. the remaining station presets control winamp rwd, stop, play, ffwd.

oh yes, and and i ripped out the fascia lights and replaced with a multi-led battery/alternator checker.

yo5pzl.jpg

yo5pzm.jpg

wilgartw said:
i've got an ongoing project in my split.

as an extra interface (so i don't need to have the screen out all the time) i have ripped the guts out of an old blaupunkt radio.

I have got the on off switch to switch my amps on, the volume controls winamp volume. the radio presets - the first one connects to the pc on-off switch so a quick presss switches on, a longer press shuts down etc. the remaining station presets control winamp rwd, stop, play, ffwd.

oh yes, and and i ripped out the fascia lights and replaced with a multi-led battery/alternator checker.

yo5pzl.jpg

yo5pzm.jpg

Now that is cool,very discreet and functional 8)

Hi!

Nice setup there, may well be able to hack a og 70's Blaupunt - might give that one a go, i have a og one in my bus, never hooked it up to see if it works, and only paid about 25 quid for it, so no loss there.......Hmmmm!!!

Cheers!

Alistair

7" or 8" touchscreen lilliput behind sun visor
radio as seen
tablet type laptop in docking station, so i can take it in house to work on it, it is mounted upright in the back of the van like a telly.

Now the van has it's 240V hookup and inverter installed I've set about sorting out sound so I can get some tunes going

After looking at the power draw of the PC I've opted for using my laptop - this is a lot simpler as I've purchased a 12V > 19V converter to power this from the front 12V sockets - it fits nicely in the glove box and the touchscreen monitor is going to be installed on a modified ashtray so I can slide it in and out 8)

(apologies for fuzzy pics, taken in the garage in the dark with a phone!) Here's the computer all setup - bit fuzzy but will post more when I've sorted out the mount for the screen - held in with ties at the moment and works well enough:
bc070f02.jpg

This is running xport http://curioustech.home.insightbb.com/xport.html to connect my old tomtom bluetooth GPS which fits nicely on the dash top (magnetic)

So for audio - it's got the OG stereo in which I like as it's quite stealthy without a modern headunit - so as the audio will need to hookup with the laptop I've used a logitec 5.1 PC speaker setup for now

Also installed an apple airport express into the inverter......
IMG_0189.jpg

airportexpress(1).jpg

For those not familiar with these, they are wireless devices with an audio jack, ethernet and usb port - you can use then in a few ways:

Connect to your home network and share out connected speakers (to play itunes from PC to the remote speakers anywhere in the house :) )
Connect a printer and share it via wifi on your local network
Act as a wireless router - to create a network or extend an existing one

For the van I'm using it as a wireless access point so my laptop, iphone & anyone else who's nearby can connect into my camper's wifi network - the speakers are then connected into the airport so that they are available to anyone on that network

screwed the speakers into the board by drilling through the plastic stands - for the main bass unit I used some 90 angle brackets to keep it all in place - it's all hidden away which is nice as it's stealthy though do need to lower the door to get the best sound (may put the door on released hinges or cover with some close holed dark mesh:

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

I then installed airfoil onto my laptop - http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/windows/ this allows me to output any audio from my laptop to the speakers in the van - meaning centrafuse will output my satnav, DVD e.t.c. to them

The best bit though is the remote app on the iphone - so I now connect my iphone to the van's wifi network, fire up the remote app and play my tunes and output to the speakers, pleased with how it's coming along - now need to think about wiring the inputs for rev's, temp e.t.c. and running the USB hub cable through and connecting microphone, rear view web cam

A friend of mine refuses to get a 'leccy hook up because his girlfriend will take a hair dryer which is to much technology to take camping as far as he is concerned!! :lol:

All looks very clever, no.1 party bus :D

o.k. - after trying various laptops I've opted for a dedicated build as trying to get the laptop's setup properly means removing it from my work domain to enable auto login and also replacing the windows shell with centrafuse so it starts the app straight away is messing up my machine :D

So found a voompc and PSU on ebay for £47 8)

For those interested:

VoomPC install manual: http://www.cartft.com/support_db/support_files/Voom_en.pdf
M2-ATX PSU manual: http://www.ibertronica.es/detalle/M2-ATX-manual-engl.pdf

72d86cca.jpg

Purchased an intel D945GCLF2 mini-itx motherboard - has integrated atom processor, supports a single DDR2 ram up to 2GB and sata controller:

a72fdbb0.jpg

Had to purchase the later PSU - M2-ATX - as this includes a 2x2 power connector to power P4 type processors, didn't know this at the time but the Atom board I have needs the extra power :oops: - add to this 2GB of crucial RAM and a seagate 2.5'' sata drive - drive, Motherboard and PSU installed:

e694a94e.jpg

It all fitted really well - had to configure the PSU via jumpers - it's got connections for permanent 12V and ignition - as a normal PSU when plugged in will always connect the 5V rail and draw power there is a risk of draining the battery, I've opted to configure it so when ignition goes on it boots the PC (PSU is connected to the on/off switch on the motherboard) - when ignition goes off it waits 5 seconds, activates the off switch to shut down the operating system and after 2 minutes kills the 5V rail to prevent the battery from draining.

I've not connected to the ignition but instead gone via a switch installed in the van so I can power the system on manually without having to fire up the van to use the computer.

Sliding it all together - tight fit but goes in well:

a0fdfc40.jpg

And here it is - all installed and ready to go!

0a1ea04c.jpg

For the OS I'm putting in Windows XP Pro - as I don't have a CD drive I'm having to install the OS from a USB drive :? - have followed these instructions to take the XP setup disk, create a custom install build to enable boot and install from USB:
http://www.vandomburg.net/installing-windows-xp-from-usb/

Right - off to install it in the van and wire together with the leisure system - then can put on a keyboard/mouse and temp monitor whilst I attempt to setup XP and the displaylink drivers to get the USB monitor working!

been watching this with interest - can you not run the 'front end ' off Linux? I hate windoze...really keen to be able to play tunes, and play dvd's somehow - guess an extra interface?

I think my needs are different to yours so when the time comes I'll start a new thread......

more pics..please

dubdubz said:
been watching this with interest - can you not run the 'front end ' off Linux? I hate windoze...really keen to be able to play tunes, and play dvd's somehow - guess an extra interface?

I think my needs are different to yours so when the time comes I'll start a new thread......

more pics..please

Know what you mean - my PC would fly on linux - but centrafuse main installer is windows :( - think due to the nav software and bluetooth apps that come bundled only running micro$oft

You can use other frontends that will likely run on a linux flavour - check out http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/front-ends/

DVD's will play directly through centrafuse - either via the main screen or a 2nd display, but haven't played around too much with them yet

More pics coming - got the OS installed from USB which was relatively painless - surprised the hell out of me....was far too easy....:D

Latest posts