ipad install

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lard

Reaction score
You may have seen my carputer install thread - in which I've integrated a windows 7 based car pc running centrafuse to give satnav, tunes, radio, mail, web, cams e.t.c. in the bus, I've had to rip it out with the interior and have put it back in but without all the connections for web cam, sensors e.t.c.

Have been pondering further on the install and have a few niggles with the setup as it doesn't feel as integrated as I'd like

Long story short is that I'm after something a bit slicker that just works without annoying 3G signals issues, boot time and touch interface outside of the centrafuse application

I've had an ipad for 6 months and it certainly gives me the same touch interface but is a much more integrated solution, so I decided to install it into the bus and see how I get on with it, the PC will always be more customisable with mock headunit inputs, triggers for sensors (so light control, TPMS e.t.c.) but at the moment I just need a workable solutions for some tunes/satnav

I got a decent headunit of evilbay for £40 - I'm not a big audio guy but looking around the Sony CDM-X9000 was a top spec unit from around 2000, bargain old skool stylee :D

I also got a couple of shelf mount speakers that fit within the output power of the headunit - I have amps and speakers but no bed in yet which is where I'll be installing most of the audio kit

Installed the head unit in the glove box to hide it away from thieving chav types and ripped out the old stereo to run the cables through.

The ipad does support line out via the apple dock port but you can't control volume in line out mode through the ipad itself so for the moment I've put in an active holder that charges the device and a 3.5 jack that goes to the head unit. I've also got a jabra bluetooth unit (SP700) that takes audio over bluetooth and transmits over FM - unfortunately it works great with the iphone but the ipad doesn't support the bluetooth head unit profile (yet!) - when/if it does in the future I'll remove the 3.5mm jack from the headphone socket.

Anyway - piccies:

How it looked with the touch screen for the PC and an Ipaq running tomtom
c799a57b.jpg

Here is the mount installed - I need to get a blanking plate for the old stereo from somewhere(?) - the mount is the Brodit active mount and is drilled into the dash (I'm changing to a painted one at some point so a good test for my current padded one)
f6734c01.jpg

Head unit installed in the glovebox using a beetle under dash mount and cables cut through into the back:
9ce9aef6.jpg

36734986.jpg

Installed and running an app called "flick tunes" - this is a gesture based alternative to itunes: tap to play/pause, swipe for next and swipe up/down for volume/playlist
682987a7.jpg

This is "Traffic HD" which can also do route calculations/sat nav - really good for avoiding the jams
4139f5ac.jpg

This is a speedo app that takes MPH from GPS and will be great for sense checking my erratic speedo
079c82c6.jpg

This is a great app - "nav:free" which is a free satnav app from nav:mii that uses openmap data - also works on the iphone (3G > 4G) and is much better than my current tomtom, still being developed but I'd install it now whilst its still free!
1f5df4f4.jpg

Anyway - thought I'd share in case anyone else feels like doing the same, my family are always using it so will be nice to make sure it's not forgotten! Another bonus is putting a stereo and Jabra in I can control the bus tunes from my iphone which will be sweet when camping!

Different ;)

Does the mount for the iPad always have to hang there then with it being bolted to the dash?

gninnam said:
Different ;)

Does the mount for the iPad always have to hang there then with it being bolted to the dash?

You can get a brodit mount and use a "move-it" attachment and then can use different holders and take it out completely - your right though, would be good to remove the mount completely so will look into this for when I get my new dash!

That looks the nuts :mrgreen: :party0053:
I love my iPad but the only problem is I bought a wifi only one so don't get gps on mine only wifi assisted location.
Thinking about jail breaking mine so I can Bluetooth a gps on it.

But I've just bought the wife a sansung galaxy tab with gps ;) may have to try that puppy first.
My tom-tom go live is a pile of pants.

Hi Larry

I wish you would stop this :lol: :lol: , I'd just got my set up worked out for the panel van and now you do this!!, got an ipad sat here and have used Brodit mounts before so know they are good, like rustydiver I only have a wifi ipad as I didn't want another contract, is there an easy way of getting GPS on it yet?. I am also using Navfree as a trial on my iphone and agree its good but has a few glitches at the moment.

This set up looks really good and I now my have an Alpine 7" fold out head unit for sale :evil: :evil: :evil:

Graham L said:
Hi Larry

I wish you would stop this :lol: :lol: , I'd just got my set up worked out for the panel van and now you do this!!, got an ipad sat here and have used Brodit mounts before so know they are good, like rustydiver I only have a wifi ipad as I didn't want another contract, is there an easy way of getting GPS on it yet?. I am also using Navfree as a trial on my iphone and agree its good but has a few glitches at the moment.

This set up looks really good and I now my have an Alpine 7" fold out head unit for sale :evil: :evil: :evil:

I too was thinking about gps on a wifi device and thought simples just get a Bluetooth gps and connect, not zoo simple Apple has blocked a lot of Bluetooth devices on it. The only way I found is to jailbreak the pad (google jailbreaking aN iPad). Don't think it will be long until Apple authorise a app to do it, I hope. Don't really want to jailbreak yet cos mines only a month old.

Yep looks like this is the way to go but you have to jailbreak your ipad!!

http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?t=53403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.orangegadgets.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Graham L said:
Hi Larry

Sorry :mrgreen: - tbh if my interior was complete and ready to install the rear view cam and the sensors for the engine bay I'd stick with the pc as it has more flexibility than the iPad and a more permanent solution - but this is much easier to put in as all the install is in the cab - in time I'll put the pc back in when the rear has been fitted as I'd like to control my lighting via the pc and put a second screen in the back for video/tv/web

Latest posts