The Buss-E '71

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, time for an update. The acquisition of an air-cooled 2003 Brazilian has meant that this bus has taken a break for the last few months.

Back on it now, Still have all the interior light wiring to do but it's fairly easy. I just have to decide what I want to do :?

Finally got the main power for the audio system in from here

through the chassis and an additional conduit to here just behind the front axle

through the floor inside the drivers seat base

interior side

and up to where the power distribution will be.

I drew a sketch on my laptop to work out where everything will go (several times) and mocked it up in cardboard.

Checked everything worked on one side of the drivers bulkhead (the bit behind the drivers seat. Power is going to be right behind the seat

and the sub amp is going on the other side of the metal work.

Because I'm not sure how well the cooling will work with the amp being mounted vertically I want to be able to mount the amp either way

I then remade my sketch and checked again

Then modified it and started to cut some metal. Most of it is 5x19mm steel bar

Prepped and tacked the mounting frame for the power rack first

welded it up

then did the amp frame (it's the one standing up in the background) and finished them…

The amp frame is threaded so i don't need to use nuts and keep it all neat.

trial fitted all the components

did a test fitting of the frames

The two frames will mount either side of the bulk head using four bolts to hold it all in place.

Another trial fitting of the components (I love fuses)

To keep the amp cool I want to be able to duct the warm/ hot air at the top of the amp away. As usual it's over engineered but I really needed to get some practise in with the welder, it's been months since I used it and being a novice I need to keep my hand in.

needed a bit of filler to tidy up a little

A small 12V fan is being used to move the air

Paint the frames

and the amp duct

And then got on with the wiring, :D

One amp in, two more to go. YES!

I feel like i'm truly back in the groove.

Great work as always Paul! Very impressive :rocknroll:

Your bus really needs a magazine feature! :D

Keep the pictures coming..

By the way, what made you get a Brazilian Bay? More toys? :mrgreen:

good progress mate. I've been toying up with doing something similar with the ducting and the computer fan behind the fridge. I have a hole in the floor for the gas bottle vent and have been contemplating fitting a computer fan to help with air flow behind there - predominently to blow the hot air from the fridge outside. Intend to wire it up to the fridge so whenever it fires up the fan works too.

Another thing for the list when I return :)

Nath

cunning plan said:
Great work as always Paul! Very impressive :rocknroll:

Your bus really needs a magazine feature! :D

Keep the pictures coming..

By the way, what made you get a Brazilian Bay? More toys? :mrgreen:

A friend was selling his for a good price and I was under some pressure from my wife and daughter (who suddenly started to grow up) and I'm not that much further on with the 71. Something to be said about driving a completely stock bus. It does mean that I may end up sticking the bench seats in the 71 and it being a proper micro bus (minus the sunroof :( ). It'll probably be a hybrid somewhere between a weekender and a micro bus.

How you coming along with your testing/ planning?

Haveacamper said:
good progress mate. I've been toying up with doing something similar with the ducting and the computer fan behind the fridge. I have a hole in the floor for the gas bottle vent and have been contemplating fitting a computer fan to help with air flow behind there - predominently to blow the hot air from the fridge outside. Intend to wire it up to the fridge so whenever it fires up the fan works too.

Another thing for the list when I return :)

Nath

Hot air from your fridge to outside? Are you insane? Spent too much time in hot climates :D

I'm ducting mine down the deluxe interior trim air channel to the windscreen. I'm figuring that any help to keep the screen clear in our fantastic weather the better. Let's see how effective that is.

Are you fan venting because it gets too hot or just for safety?

Buss69 said:
71 and it being a proper micro bus (minus the sunroof :( ). It'll probably be a hybrid somewhere between a weekender and a micro bus.

There is nothing wrong with that! I think there are too many campers out there and not enough Microbuses. I am just going to use mine as a toy, crusing to shows, occational communiting to the office on nice days, sunny pub trips etc. :party0021:

Just think, all the money you save from trying to turn it into a camping interior, you can put into a bigger engine and more toys :mrgreen:

Buss69 said:
How you coming along with your testing/ planning?

Slow, but ok.

I have the OFF / ON 1 / ON 1+2 switch working fine in a simple test circuit, so the next thing to do is to get a OG light switch and try to integrate it.

Then draw it out and repeat for other circuits. It is not as much fun as I thought it would be, although I do not mind soldering, the heatsrinking and trying to make it as tidy as possible. :)

Buss69 said:
I'm ducting mine down the deluxe interior trim air channel to the windscreen. I'm figuring that any help to keep the screen clear in our fantastic weather the better. Let's see how effective that is.

good idea ducting to the screen. the reason why I thought about ducting outside is to try and reduce how hard the fridge works. it may not make any difference, but cant help but think that when in hot climates...abroad...the back of the fridge get super hot and as a result ends up working a lot harder.

Haveacamper said:
Buss69 said:

good idea ducting to the screen. the reason why I thought about ducting outside is to try and reduce how hard the fridge works. it may not make any difference, but cant help but think that when in hot climates...abroad...the back of the fridge get super hot and as a result ends up working a lot harder.

You could always fit two fans one that ducts to the screen for winter/ cold and another that's used for the summer :) . I assume you have vents fitted as well?

I dont have the deluxe ducting so wouldnt be able to plumb into that. I dont have a vent in my side panel as I really dont like the look of them... another reason i was thinking a fan could only help in the fridge's efficiency. its a 12/24v fridge made by virtifrigo: http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/shop/#C39i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . its not a gas fridge so doesnt need a flue.

Haveacamper said:
I dont have the deluxe ducting so wouldnt be able to plumb into that. I dont have a vent in my side panel as I really dont like the look of them... another reason i was thinking a fan could only help in the fridge's efficiency. its a 12/24v fridge made by virtifrigo: http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/shop/#C39i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . its not a gas fridge so doesnt need a flue.

Hmm tricky. Been thinking about this. Are you prepared to make a couple of small vents under the bus? That way you could draw cooler air in from the outside and then vent it back out again. Fit two fans one to pull in the cooler air (with a filter) and another to push the air back out. You'd have to ensure the one extracting the warmed air works by taking only that air. After reading about amp cooling it's been suggested that this might be the most efficient way of doing things, i.e. one sucking in, one pushing out. just a thought. :D

Good work on the electrics!

Question for you: where do you get this grommet/clip thing (and what's it called for me to find)?

DSCF8364.jpg

Latest posts