The 1971 White Westfalia 'Fe'

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll mostly let the pictures do the talking, it's been a constant effort to keep progress on the interior going.
I waxoyled the inside of the van then started on the insulation. I'm aware that some people argue against using any for condensation reasons, I'll keep on eye on that and I got the Celotex really cheap so...

DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

Handmade (by me!!) side panels starting to go back in.

DSC_0236.jpg

And my rather good looking headliner! Cut, sanded, varnished, covered in vinyl and installed by yours truly for the low low price of £50. Very happy with the look, definitely brightens up the van. The idea has been shamelessly stolen from Liam (lemur) and I thank him for his help and answering my questions.

DSC_0237.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

Door cards in, these were a pig to fit. The holes didn't line up with the ones in the door and I had to 'break' every clip I got from Just Kampers otherwise they wouldn't fit. :roll:

I then put my new flooring in, very happy with it.

DSC_0252_1.jpg

And finally, started on the carpet in the cab and all important, GENE BERG! :D

DSC_0254_1.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

More progress has been made but no time to post!
Stanford Hall is the target, won't be fully finished but gives me a chance to give the bus a good run.

After a delay getting down on the Saturday night, we set off for Stanford Hall Sunday morning. Rear shock split, leaking it's insides everywhere, then the accelerator cable snapped.
Lucky me eh? :evil:

Ordered some KYB Gas-A-Just rear shocks from Heritage, so hope they're good. After this almost everything brake, mechanical and interior has been replaced and/or upgraded. Might make it 10 miles from the door next time...

Nice work on the interior panels especially making them yourself. :)

Love the Gene Berg shifter they do look nice.

Did you get to Stanford Hall eventually? When my throttle cable snapped it was in my garage fortunately, I always carry a spare now. The problem with these old buses is that all the parts are old, some older than others, and they break now and then.

It's not a bad idea to gradually replace things in case they do break and as funds allow, although it sounds as though you may have done that. There's only so many parts that can be replaced :lol:

Of course steering and the brakes are the important things! :msn4:

mike202 said:
Nice work on the interior panels especially making them yourself. :)

Love the Gene Berg shifter they do look nice.

Did you get to Stanford Hall eventually? When my throttle cable snapped it was in my garage fortunately, I always carry a spare now. The problem with these old buses is that all the parts are old, some older than others, and they break now and then.

It's not a bad idea to gradually replace things in case they do break and as funds allow, although it sounds as though you may have done that. There's only so many parts that can be replaced :lol:

Of course steering and the brakes are the important things! :msn4:

Nope. The cable wasn't an issue (thought I was going to buy a few at Stanford Hall) it was the rear shock and thought better get that sorted first.
It will be nice to get to the point where I am no longer doing major repairs/big bills and then just add to it as and when.

We're hopefully going on a little test run next week before we set off on the biggie.

Hi supertramp - what ampage is your durite relay, im looking for a kit myself to fit my bay but theres a few different types of durite relays available. P.s. i have 55amp alternator.

Bay Cruiser said:
nice carpet, might be something for my bus aswell :mrgreen: ,

and thats a sweet radio! any details about it? 8)

MadMatz. Fitting was a bit of a pain as they don't quite fit, so trimming required, but they look good. Radio is Retrosounds Model 2 with the black face/chrome knobs.

hippysteven said:
Hi supertramp - what ampage is your durite relay, im looking for a kit myself to fit my bay but theres a few different types of durite relays available. P.s. i have 55amp alternator.

Steven I'm not sure I will have a look today for you.

Supertramp said:
Bay Cruiser said:
nice carpet, might be something for my bus aswell :mrgreen: ,

and thats a sweet radio! any details about it? 8)

MadMatz. Fitting was a bit of a pain as they don't quite fit, so trimming required, but they look good. Radio is Retrosounds Model 2 with the black face/chrome knobs.

thanks! 8)

Well it has certainly been a while.

After I came back from my large road trip I had to get a job and get used to normality.
I try and use the bus most weekends even if it's just a short trip to the Peak/Lake District.

Various images from the trip onwards.

17c91a977f0bd44d52799ffb2a28254b.jpg

2d79dccdb74afd119bf7b45090ed412f.jpg

39c33bbf0d1ceff215ffbf458c47f06e.jpg

6618428cee9a5c2589c002333ac92329.jpg

bab7b822f0ec6fd0aede863f021d7714.jpg

2cbe5651a55c8284cf3bb855f852ce18.png

4547b19b88a58cbce6c04c7f42cd8718.jpg

bb067c39b93b3ab51b498042291eaf94.jpg

272be4f17508b83c65e6faea49f625f4.jpg

aad5b5270b85492b43dffe99a252e87e.jpg

I've been reflecting back (following a weekend away this week) about my time living in the bus and realised how lucky I was to get to do this. There's also been number of changes since I've returned but one thing has remained stable, my bus.

Took my travel buddy away for the weekend. Couple of days in the Lakes then quick trip down to Staffordshire. Interrupted by a blow out on the M6 and a mad dash to find a replacement tyre.

4fbae517bd292c5ea244e35333d4ccdf.jpg

19c2b5688c82ca1dcd869a8f5050186d.jpg

9e76a52ecda938269eaa1df2477f4f3e.jpg

434ae474ab3575790f5250a2bc42f84f.jpg

9edfe74d9fb41fa2e1725e97522e53ff.jpg

Great pics ... how much do dogs just love it inside vans. Our Frankie is as good as gold [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts