Stu & Clare Present Murphy - Aircooled Campout 2020 Pics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after a busy weekend working away steadily on the bus I can say we are a go for this weekend at EarlyBay Campout!
I have put many hours in over several days trying to be as methodical as possible with the repair and rebuild
One of the biggest jobs was re-routing all the fuel lines, vac lines, ht leads and electrical wires neatly - took me hours!

Engine actually went back in the bay on Saturday morning - didnt take me any more than half an hour to do that!!
Rest of the time was spent reattaching manifolds, carbs and so on!
Finally late this afternoon I managed to get running again!

One of the other jobs I decided to complete today was to rewrap the exhaust pipes that run next to the fresh air pipes - the standard white covering had turned to powder and needed replacing.
All sorted now and especially as I have installed some stainless fresh air pipe these wont burn through!

Some pics of my long (yet rewarding) weekend

Engine back in minus rear valence, bumper and tow bar - now thats a job refitting on your own!!

6kMiP.jpg

Managed to get the tow bar refitted using a trolley jack and some Juplier crates! Its a heavy bit of metal!

AgRjk.jpg

Engine getting there and wiring starting to look a little tidier

DA3Gj.jpg

Fresh new Bosch HT leads!

DjqnU.jpg

Bit more wiring fun! Oil pressure sender pictured

hDET9.jpg

Might need to get the front tinware painted at some point its a little "tired"

j3YQ4.jpg

Pic of the Vintage Speed exhaust pipes minus its protective white wrapping - if you have one of these exhausts you should check their condition

XVGCJ.jpg

JDnEp.jpg

I removed them and covered in some heatproof exhaust wrap from ebay - was easy to apply and came with all the metal ties to secure

qMKAj.jpg

T1zry.jpg

With that done I refitted the stainless fresh air hose - its pretty tough stuff and difficult to bend but I got there in the end

hlc2w.jpg

Then offered up the VS exhaust and using a trolley jack got it bolted up and secure

BeDM9.jpg

Jki9T.jpg

Rear valence installed

L2zKg.jpg

All good to go and running sweet! See you peeps this weekend 8)

Looking good mate. Should of given me a call to help get it in, easier with two pairs of hands!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Cheers all - was a busy weekend but will be worth it to get to the EB campout!
Its amazing how many hours fly by when I am on my back/knees/crawling around in the garage working on the bus!
Adam - to be honest getting the engine installed was one of the easiest jobs to do out of all of them! Have a simple method that hasnt let me down yet!
Much more straightforward than bloody HT leads and other electrical magic!
Jon - see you there for a cold one 8)
Paul - what would you like doing at the weekend? Thought your bus was ready to roll? Anything to help!! :D

looking good, a lot going on there

I've been wondering about a VS exhaust, but have a tow bar too. With a standard exhaust i can remove the tail pipe, then bumper and tow bar, then valance and engine. with a VS.... would i need to remove the exhaust before taking the tow bar off (or does the exhaust not extend beyond the chassis rails? keen not to add another layer of complexity, as I seem to be taking my engine out each winter for one reason or another.

cheers

If it's a Westie (Gadget) towbar I think you would have to remove the silencer section of the VS exhaust, not an issue as its only 8 nuts and bolts. Takes literally 5 mins to get off and out of the way. Without removing that section I imagine it could foul the bar/bumper when dropping it down.

My towbar and rear bumper could stay attached if I got the bus raised high enough to clear the fan housing! But the garage joists and door prevent it.

Regardless of this I can't fault the exhaust as a piece of kit.
And yep I am the same as you - engine comes out atleast once a year!

Ok, thanks for that. Only an extra 4 bolts I suppose in what invariable turns out to be a fuel tank/gearbox/clutch/fylwheel oil seal spannering festival! I bracing myself for a dual carb and VS fest.....

Your kombi looks awesome and its great to see it being used as intended all over Europe, and nice work on the semi engine rebuilt.
A few years back I built a beach buggy and tidied all the wiring up, back to a large multi pin weather proof plug so if I needed to drop the engine it was just one plug for the wiring, disconnect the fuel hose and then the obligatory 4 bolts. Maybe a future project or if you get bored :lol:

Steve - good idea with the simple plug disconnect with the electrics, will look into the viability next time the engine is out!
Today was spent giving Murphy a good exterior clean, polish and wax. Also went on a little run out to check the engine hasnt decided to break again!

Bus is all loaded up ready for the 100 mile journey down to Oxford!

A couple of pics of my efforts

FmVrf.jpg

mt3RT.jpg

Ju5T8.jpg

Treating myself to a nice glass of vino before this weekends madness! :lol:

Top stuff mate! glad you decided to join us after several false starts. I think you have enough enthusiasm for all of us. I just managed to change some rocker gaskets because the smell of oil dripping onto the exchangers was getting a bit ripe :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, We might share a cold one,,,, or two :mrgreen:

Now just back from our second weekend away camping, last week was a crazy one at EarlyBay Campout and this weekend was Stanford Hall.
It would appear I have been to both events running without any brake lights! Opps - replaced a fuse this morning that had blown and all was good and legal again
Even managed to reach 70mph (sat nav indicated) on the way back today without it being too alarming.

Earlybay campout was a great laugh and met up with loads of new peeps - proper chilled out event with loads of like minded (drunken) individuals.
Ozzie - never give me Rum again, I was ROUGH on the Sunday and almost cried when we had to pack up and drive the 100 odd miles home!

Stanford was a great event as always, a few of us camped down the road about 6 miles away at a site which had a lake and some decent amenities.
Apart from Saturday nights temp dropping well below freezing and us having no heating we had a great weekend - waking up in the early hours to a frozen duvet was interesting!

Anyway here are a few of the pics of both weekends - cant wait for the weather to sort itself out and warm up a little

Met up with Scottie and Tracy on the way to EB Campout

1DO4i.jpg

t7ic2.jpg

tFZEb.jpg

GZ73M.jpg

Got to the campout and started to setup before the weather closed in

ZJTXi.jpg

MU4DV.jpg

83mXt.jpg

81xeS.jpg

Great location for a show!

VsUxf.jpg

2PM60.jpg

New friends arrived later on!

KVsl6.jpg

XdhoC.jpg

V539t.jpg

QvbSk.jpg

x5h2V.jpg

Our afternoons view

qcsRL.jpg

J&P joining the party!

yaAtb.jpg

Archie was a little tired and cold!

12NuR.jpg

Znu8x.jpg

Jill having some Cheeky Vimto!

OGkzZ.jpg

k3jzt.jpg

Sticker shot!

if6C3.jpg

jRFOe.jpg

pdZzX.jpg

j3mx9.jpg

anr43.jpg

ipRFt.jpg

Sat night madness with Foz among others!

4fMFY.jpg

s5Vml.jpg

FaAvH.jpg

s1Ybm.jpg

Sunday morning arrived!

NJejn.jpg

5rjSf.jpg

7o4Jl.jpg

qj9aL.jpg

urISU.jpg

mLJYH.jpg

Was an awesome event and wouldnt hesitate to go again next year if one is organised

And now for this weekends - more sedate outing compared to the previous one!

Left home in beautiful sunshine!

MePkO.jpg

ANUTZ.jpg

Met up with Adam and Hannah on the way for a nice relaxing cruise down (notice the weather has changed slightly!)

dFcl3.jpg

And then Baz and Paul!

CibkO.jpg

Campsite was excellent despite getting told off for playing music too loud at 1400 in the afternoon!!

bKRn7.jpg

X2Fpi.jpg

1hc4e.jpg

CXT1U.jpg

a52ke.jpg

F5W4O.jpg

uXISM.jpg

Even Archie was impressed!

M3e9r.jpg

riHPf.jpg

AbFEf.jpg

4dvMP.jpg

wrb2m.jpg

nGe9W.jpg

FfOUa.jpg

2EoSu.jpg

70SME.jpg

It was a little chilly!

BsyLM.jpg

Adam was kind enough to provide us with a Pizza oven so the cooking commenced! A selection of pizzas were produced
Everything from Meat Feasts, Duck and Hoi Sin Sauce, and Three Cheese combos to the best one which was Smoked Salmon and Crème Fresh!

rzves.jpg

5CoIs.jpg

O1ySP.jpg

Paul producing a masterpiece!

BqKHS.jpg

I awoke early on Sunday morning to a frozen landscape - we guess the temp must have gotten to around minus 3 or 4 atleast

qrZGi.jpg

SQbq9.jpg

1wcjQ.jpg

wEMIZ.jpg

5gl8e.jpg

oSaWe.jpg

RA0tp.jpg

dy219.jpg

E7C2W.jpg

Cruise off to Stanford

Ye3x0.jpg

pijYC.jpg

G1Trp.jpg

ZhqXi.jpg

pumfr.jpg

ACwHb.jpg

HbxEI.jpg

YCHcU.jpg

ZK4Bg.jpg

JapOD.jpg

4Cfq3.jpg

5bn2B.jpg

rd9en.jpg

Archie wearing a baseball hat!

DWPyM.jpg

gvPws.jpg

hpgG6.jpg

iGk8N.jpg

qAzCG.jpg

Didnt take many at the show - was too busy looking at all the cool motors!

Heading back

xZe3H.jpg

Then it all got a little strange back at the campsite!

PDpWH.jpg

Urban Fox!!

ofPFC.jpg

heNul.jpg

Hope the pics werent too boring - have had an awesome two weekends and cant wait for more!!

Good pics mate. Was a great weekend. Sat on the sofa watching f1 now!

EB camp out was mad , great to meet you guys , hope to see you around soon.
Thanks again for everything , and if we don't see you before you go to Falklands , be safe.

J & P
:D :D :D

CornishSilver said:
Some good adventures and pics, love the Bus

Cheers mate! 8)

This morning I decided to install a little more bling!
Have a sensible job to do next weekend as we have purchased 3 point inertia seatbelts rather than the standard fit ones which I dont wear!
So will take some snaps of those going on in a week - Back to the shiny bits
One thing with the back wheels that has always played on my mind was the lack of cover over the hub nuts - never looked right to me so I found some covers over in Cali!
Postage was actually a little more than the shiny bits but I am happy with the change.

Some pics

Before shot

4ZhD8.jpg

xo1na.jpg

Shiny bit!

SrJqU.jpg

And installed

5O9bd.jpg

Its the small things that make the difference!!
Also readjusted the handbrake ready for the MOT in a couple of weeks! 8)

They finish it off nicely. Funnily enough enough I was looking at your wheels last weekend and thought they could do with some over the hub nut :)

Latest posts