Stu & Clare Present Murphy - Aircooled Campout 2020 Pics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gonna save my ass off when away in the Falklands and get some lower action sorted when in return. Notches, tubs and all sorts!

However today decided to give the daily a bit of love as I am waiting for parts
Didn't turn out too bad considering the mileage

Gave the old girl a bit of polish

yWseT.jpg

And the interior a bit of a wipe down

n68qI.jpg

New Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 3 tyres all round too!

BMrL6.jpg

Finished up looking quite nice if I do say so myself

BfSEm.jpg

Especially considering the mileage

P1aVW.jpg

Murphys updates will continue in due course

Decided to crack on today with a few jobs on Murphy - all ready for a rolling road shootout on Friday!
Adam's 1641 twin carb'd motor vs Murphy - winner buys lunch :lol:

Needed to fix a leaking rocker cover with a replacement item which appears to have done the trick.
Quite happy with my new fresh air stainless steel tubes - they are proper solid and will be the last set I buy

WDrPQ.jpg

Rolled out of the garage during a break in the weather and managed to spend a good couple of hours tidying the mancave

INGZ9.jpg

atTUu.jpg

One of the jobs was to install a nice new aerial after the mast on the old one made a bid for freedom returning from SPA l

0wo41.jpg

New one is now fitted but didnt take a pic :msn4:

Another small job was to install the Deluxe clock I bought a while ago - its in fantastic condition and works as it should
Keeps great time after a prolonged "bench" test however I havent wired it up just yet as I didnt have time.

bOV6H.jpg

Another job was to install the aftermarket steering bearing - was an easy job (once I had removed the steering wheel boss using a puller! Spring and collet removed

z4qot.jpg

RI2sP.jpg

New one popped in - didnt take a pic as it was getting on!
Tomorrow is wash day and clean the interior out for another year of travelling!

WIll update again tomorrow

Good work Stu, I didn't know there was Lunch riding in the dyno shoot out , I would have made the effort and run up there ! See you soon fella

Haha Pete! Don't think it would be a fair result with your monster engine against our two little ones! :lol:
Looking forward to a catchup in a couple of weeks

8)

phil_n said:
That's a lovely Westy, good to see its being used properly too. It's full of character.

Not wanting to sidetrack the thread too much, how's the Golf bearing up to the mileage?

Cheers mate - Golf is a dream, bought from a fellow forum member and its tight as a drum.
Always buy on condition not mileage.
Still on OG clutch/flywheel, exhaust, shocks, engine, gearbox - it's a cracking motor
A little different to the Westie but still a VW 8)

Looking forward to my free lunch on Friday....

57221729b609bc48ffb7745d26138085.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Haha Adam - I see you are setting the standard quite high!!
I bet it will be a close run thing between our two speed machines :msn4:

Today I decided to strip out every cubby, crevice and storage area in the bus to clean up ready for this years trips.
The seats and rock and roll bed also needed a good clean and conditioner applied after being laid up all winter.

Its amazing how many flyers, bits of tat and empty packets build up over a season of shows.

Literally a garage full!

2buPf.jpg

Everywhere was wiped down, hoovered and polished inside - dont think it came up too bad!

4Cz21.jpg

pCM38.jpg

AkUfM.jpg

2Nu16.jpg

uRI2x.jpg

d9bYg.jpg

VH8Av.jpg

New Aerial pic! Missed it yesterday

yuJ1f.jpg

Gz810.jpg

yRSX2.jpg

K4Pft.jpg

nJDIq.jpg

IjGdE.jpg

jyLhz.jpg

YABo1.jpg

Next post will be of the rolling road session and the results!!!!!

:D :D

sparkywig said:
You do realise making the bus lighter will make no difference on the rolling road?

;)

Cheers for that Si :lol:
Yes I was aware its no drag strip - the strip down and clear out was purely to clean and tidy the bus not a method of increasing my chances of a free lunch
Will all be refitted and loaded up by Friday!

See you in a couple of weeks :D :D

sparkywig said:
You do realise making the bus lighter will make no difference on the rolling road?

;)
Oh, I just stripped out the whole interior :(

67westy said:
sparkywig said:

;)
Oh, I just stripped out the whole interior :(

Brilliant - made me proper laugh that did!!
Right how to remove the roof section and interior!! :lol: :lol:

After trying to setup the tappets clearance for the planned rolling road it was noticed one of the intake valves was stuck in the open position (is referenced on another separate thread)
The push rod kept coming out of the cup on the rocker and the engine was rattling.
On looking inside the cylinder head with the rocker removed I saw this

Valve to the left is in the open (depressed) position

CKhZc.jpg

After doing a little reading and getting some help from here I decided a stripdown was in order
When removing the ancillaries I noticed one of the HT leads was damaged to the offending cylinder

lL5Za.jpg

Several hours in the garage later and the engine was out

WMT5w.jpg

Shot of the gearbox bell housing with my late clutch release bearing conversion!

QLAun.jpg

Blagged an early finish today from work to get the rest of the engine stripped down to remove the offending head from the block - all fresh ground to me as I have never had cause to remove these before

Tinware off and nuts removed

L17o8.jpg

Top down view of the offending area - top black valve is the issue

Sbuc4.jpg

Stuck fast in the open position

OsxWN.jpg

I checked the pistons and bore for damage but thankfully all is good

LNf4y.jpg

Managed to grab a valve compressor from Machine Mart and released the valve from the cylinder head
Bent as you like

6iDCG.jpg

Garage is chaos after the frantic work

vke65.jpg

wiGVa.jpg

Replacement parts have been dispatched and fingers crossed I will be rolling again by sunday!!

Thanks for reading :D

Wow, you don't mess around do you? Fast work. I wonder what caused the bent valve?

I had the heads off my engine for the first time over the winter. I'd did it to swap out the pushrods tubes and found it a little daunting at first. Just take care with the reassembly and torque everything down in the right sequence and all should be good.

When mine was back together with the tappets and timing set it ran better than ever.

Good luck!

Mark

Good work Stu. I use the excuse that I have not got a garage, but to be honest if I had one I wouldn't attempt the things that you do. Hats off, mate. :D

Cheers for the kind words fellas - not too scary ripping the engine down and fingers crossed I wont have any bits left over after the rebuild.
Big box of parts arrived this morning from Machine 7 so cracked on replacing the bent valve, would have made sense to take Si's advice and do both heads completely but I dont have the time at the moment
Its gone onto the board of jobs to do when I get back from the Falklands now I know how to get them off the engine!

New valve vs old

gwGXy.jpg

As the weather is pants outside and Clare is at work I decided to lap the valve in the dining room!!
Fits spot on

ztxpv.jpg

New guide installed

Cfs2u.jpg

Head back together and valve in the correct position

vh8Vn.jpg

Fingers crossed the weather is a little better tomorrow so I can crack on refitting everything and return to a running bus

:D

Latest posts