Stu & Clare Present Murphy - Aircooled Campout 2020 Pics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers everyone for all the help, advice and assistance I got over this weekend.
Didnt spoil my enjoyment of the show one bit although I was a little tired on Sat eve and retired early.
New alternator arrived today but didnt have the tools with me to reinstall the fan.

Special thanks has to go to Dave for sorting the replacement and arranging its delivery to a VERY busy show
Matt Pinker for networking with every single trader so find a breaker bar and vice in a Welsh castle to remove the old fan from the welded alt

We have just got in now after a 5.5hr recovery mission - wish they would send a recovery truck straight away rather than a bloke in a van with a new battery!
That delayed the process by over 5 hrs from my initial phonecall.

Will get working on the bus tomorrow and get rolling again - pics of the show to come!
Was an epic smashing weekend 8) 8)

creationblue said:
That's a shame mate. How's the hulk feeling now? Less 'tired' I hope :lol:

Haha - yep significantly well rested shall we say!
Although I have manged to get my feet back to their OG colour after a nice power shower!

ozziedog said:
Gotta say, you looked the part as the green fella bud. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

Cheers Ozzie - but it was terrible to get that paint off!

Right before I get to the alternator replacement part here are some pics of the show

Us leaving Lincoln heading over to Wales - a cheeky 190 mile trip to meet up with Scottie and Tracy on the way down then picked up Adam and Hannah just outside Caldicot

CnsUx.jpg

Traffic was heavy at times

wb5PZ.jpg

After the electrical issue we managed to limp to the castle and get set up

HY3KD.jpg

2mhDI.jpg

5T4f2.jpg

rfXCP.jpg

Nb3c8.jpg

PtNq2.jpg

XKmNf.jpg

6lakb.jpg

Engine doesnt look too bad! :msn4:

RD6F8.jpg

gxJo0.jpg

0BwJs.jpg

91RnW.jpg

0XIW6.jpg

Everyone was still setting up

Guhzx.jpg

NdLpr.jpg

YEuN0.jpg

79KIi.jpg

After a walk around I decided to see how bad the engine fault was - looked ok from above

5erj0.jpg

Ripped it to pieces

XRzB8.jpg

The offending item!

2lKrC.jpg

Now it was proper non driving I could get on with enjoying the show

Adam kept the kids busy

4sARD.jpg

Steve & Mel arrived with Drew & Steph

qmLaG.jpg

9Czkq.jpg

e39hC.jpg

Had a bit of Sports Day games on the bottom field

dy2JX.jpg

Then Sat afternoon/eve arrived

rxHus.jpg

AF9pL.jpg

SRPQG.jpg

LxREu.jpg

IgaGD.jpg

cwaQe.jpg

YxIZq.jpg

X0dBQ.jpg

It was quite sunny!

fPxjG.jpg

DKzdo.jpg

qOJn0.jpg

Some impromptu face painting took place on Sun eve

1nKTr.jpg

Then onto Monday - waiting for recovery to arrive

B59vY.jpg

Only 6 hours after my initial call did they collect us!

Ix4fl.jpg

xmNCI.jpg

TujDl.jpg

4s21P.jpg

Next post will be of the alt swap and rebuild! 8)

is said:
Great Pics Bud 8) Glad you both got home safe ;) i left the castle after the pack down at 4pm what a weekend :mrgreen:

woz said:
Great pics. Shame you had the problem and needed recovering but doesn't look like it ruined the weekend.

8) Costumes

Woz

Cheers guys,
Woz the costumes were great fun but my green tint was a little hard to remove
Dave - we watched you drive off in the Green Bay and our recovery truck arrived about 30 mins later!

Yesterday I knuckled down and sorted the alternator issue out. After stripping down the old one and inspecting the damage I am pretty convinced its been failing for some time - maybe even from a couple of years ago when the top pulley exploded and the alternator strap snapped at about 55mph, was always a little noisy after that episode. However here are pics and you can see what I mean.

Face of the old broken alt

7UiQ8.jpg

Was far too hot yesterday to do on my knees in the garage so with Clare at work I utilised the dining room table

Old vs new and the elusive 36mm socket!

EPMQR.jpg

You can see how battle scarred the front face was compared to the fresh one

NDWA7.jpg

stogQ.jpg

Got the new one all built up ready for installation

gan9k.jpg

Stripped the old one down - from the back it looked good as new

dpVWC.jpg

I stripped the regulator out which was in great condition so now have a spare and kept all the screws and bits from it

kVlxB.jpg

Front wasnt in such great order - check out the woodruff keyway. Mullered

u6PtZ.jpg

Removed the centre shaft and checked the internal surfaces - they were very worn but all intact

iB7oU.jpg

Main shaft was in decent condition but commutators were pretty scored

rBJs4.jpg

Closer examination of the front face showed the cause of the failure - the alternator front bearing has collapsed, front has disintegrated and some of the ball bearing races actually melted

Hobsm.jpg

Races actually missing

6JqyU.jpg

And removed on the table - probably says it all really

JA9rO.jpg

Compared to the rear bearing - like new and smooth as silk

1F0vn.jpg

With that all stripped I decided to crack on and get the new alternator installed and Murphy back running
Was a simple process and didnt take too long to reassemble everything

LqN5t.jpg

jlraJ.jpg

iofeI.jpg

All ready for our next trip now although I do have a nice shiny new battery on order for installation once it arrives 8)
Thanks for reading

creationblue said:
Nice work

Great informative pics as usual 8)

Cheers buddy! :D

Today the new battery arrived - I took inspiration from Sparky and ordered a similar battery to the one he has installed as ours was a little underpowered and getting tired.
So this evening I have installed it, pretty impressed with the difference to be honest. Old one was dropping voltage on start well below 12v when turning the starter, new one hardly budges!
I went for a Yuasa 640HD 100ah and 900amps for cranking. Its a big old beast

Zo6pw.jpg

n2AzC.jpg

Old vs new

IcSmV.jpg

Just need to secure it in place and good to go on our next adventure!

8) 8)

Good choice on the battery, I'm running a 4.4 Range Rover battery on mine !!! It's great. Cranks engine all day long lol

Good work there Stu. :D

You should have mentioned the battery before hand Stu, that one I showed you would have been perfect!!!! :lol: ;)
Would have had to modify the engine bay a bit though!? 8)

slammed72 said:
Good choice on the battery, I'm running a 4.4 Range Rover battery on mine !!! It's great. Cranks engine all day long lol
slammed72 said:

Yep it has certainly made a big difference although I have to give Sparky the credit - I copied the one he has fitted although not the exact one as the wifelet wouldnt let me spend that much - good to know we have a deep reserve if any issues do present themselves!

Myvanway said:
Good work there Stu. :D

You should have mentioned the battery before hand Stu, that one I showed you would have been perfect!!!! :lol: ;)
Would have had to modify the engine bay a bit though!? 8)
Myvanway said:
That pic you sent was epic - im sure that battery could have supplied a small street with power for a few days! Would need a trailer to carry it around though!!
Holiday bobs are approaching 8) 8)

Well where to begin................. :msn4:

On Friday I was booked in for a rolling road session including tuneup, carb balance, mixture setting, timing and all the other good stuff
Was a long and expensive day with replacement coil being needed, some rejetting of my carbs, power runs on the RR but left feeling happy with the results

z69mR.jpg

Old school tuning equipment - works great though

g73WL.jpg

On the rollers

Gw7xi.jpg

Wired up for a run

U7mMw.jpg

Made a healthy 32Bhp at the wheels! Was happy with that

waKHl.jpg

A video of the action

After the tuneup and leaving the garage the bus was running fantastic - only a 35 mile journey back taking in some motorway driving, A roads and city streets. Managed the trip down the motorway with a big grin on my face as it was running so well. However when exiting on the slip road the engine suddenly lost power, was reluctant to rev up and started popping and banging. I pulled over and checked all the obvious areas to no avail

As it was late I continued home slowly popping and banging the last few miles - after the significant bill at the garage I wasnt too happy but planned to return the next day for some assistance.

Saturday came and I nursed the bus back to the garage - was only running on 3 cylinders and not happy
I was assured it would be a simple fix and straightaway an issue was identified - the rotor arm was melted :shock:
Luckily I had a spare and it was fitted and tested again - still popping and banging :(

Changed the dizzy after the rotor arm thinking the electronic ignition module was toast - still popping and banging running on 3
Then we removed the spark plugs - finding 3 of the 4 in great condition however the 4th had no gap! It was smashed closed.
On further investigation using a small camera inside the cylinder bore this was discovered

89iA6.jpg

The valve guide had cracked and broken off entering the engine through the valves causing significant damage - strange too considering it was the same valve guide I replaced after bending a valve? Crappy repro parts maybe?

At this point it was decided that the engine needed to come out so the head could be removed and checked
After this news I agreed and decided to remove it myself

So out it came

69VD0.jpg

Upon removing the cylinder head - this was the piston damage :shock:

KbOSq.jpg

And inside the cylinder head

eCfgY.jpg

Piston had to be removed

xpj3v.jpg

After the guys got online and put out a distress call for help I was contacted by Dustrat - cheers Robert, he was able to supply me with the required parts
So a quick drive oop north on Sunday and I had these

JIajw.jpg

Set of 4x Pistons, two cylinder heads and a spare barrel - just the ticket! 8)

Monday arrived and I headed over to the garage with my booty!

It was agreed the heads were good and the pistons would be swapped as a set of four - the best head was selected, stripped and rebuilt like new!
All the pistons were washed, cleaned and inspected prior to installation

Engine wasnt in a good state by now

YkD14.jpg

JxqcV.jpg

Pistons all degreased and cleaned ready for install

BSsKE.jpg

The barrels were all rehoned using oil stones and the cylinder head was good to fit - so begins the rebuild

faDLy.jpg

The next several hours passed in a blur of oily bits and rebuilding until I was left with this

3ZnPL.jpg

After installing the now rebuilt engine - the moment of truth arrived! Boom he fired straight up!
Need a little tweak and an airleak sorting from the carb manifold however all was good in the end.
Have great oil pressure, runs great and no oil loss or smoke

Managed to get home at half nine this eve approx 13 hours put in today sorting it

Off on holiday tomorrow 8)

Happy new year peeps - been away in the Falklands since Sept wasting my life!
Now back in Blighty and looking forward to another year camping and madness

Glad to be back

Latest posts