rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I never used to loose any when I had the bolt on ones, but I`m dribbling a tiny bit with this new motor with stock covers, so I was toying with going the opposite way. I don`t think those blue ish gaskets are up to much anyway and if they don`t have very much ``squish`` so I think you need a lot of ``squishability`` with stock style covers and bails. I`ve done the hylomar on one side and grease on the other. So who do we reckon does the best gaskets then ??? That seems to be the biggy ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, We likes ``squishy`` dun us :mrgreen:

In a volksworld article a few years ago all but the CSP bolt on covers leaked. The best of all the ones tested as I remember was stock with cork gaskets. :lol:

ozziedog said:
Well I never used to loose any when I had the bolt on ones, but I`m dribbling a tiny bit with this new motor with stock covers, so I was toying with going the opposite way. I don`t think those blue ish gaskets are up to much anyway and if they don`t have very much ``squish`` so I think you need a lot of ``squishability`` with stock style covers and bails. I`ve done the hylomar on one side and grease on the other. So who do we reckon does the best gaskets then ??? That seems to be the biggy ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, We likes ``squishy`` dun us :mrgreen:

Ozzie - these are the ones I fitted, from Heritage and plenty of "squish" :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TYPE-25-Gaskets-Rocker-Cover-1-2-1-6-WBX-61-Silicone-Pair-113101481FS-/391334493235?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can well believe the standard OG covers are the best as VW know their onions, however its the bales I have always struggled to get tight enough and clipped into position which I think is the root of the problem
All the videos I have watched on Youtube show the bales being really really tight and I never managed to achieve it which was why I went for the (expensive) CSP option although I cant fault them so far :D

Bit more fettling this morning.
Got round to painting the nearside tub. Still can't decide whether to carpet the cab completely though, might make it a bit quieter

Stripped the interior for a bit of welding work.

Then a quick trip into Bristol to pick up my new daily driver. :D

Think I need a bigger drive. :lol:

:bliss:

Finally got the "new" rear hatch on after 4 years. Needed a bit of fettling with the grinder and welder though.

A word of caution, don't leave masking tape on for a week, especially in the rain. :lol:
Not sure on the colour match either.

Cleaned up with white spirit, jailbars refitted, and a NOS rear hatch seal as well.

Interior almost back in.

Curtain track fitted

Nearly ready for Bristol Volksfest, just a few little jobs to sort.

Talking of Bristol Volksfest, started on the prep this week as well, can't wait. :)

Top of the pile. ;)

One of the good things about working 90 seconds from home, is that when the wan*er shopfitters aren't ready for me I can pop back and do a bit on the bus.

Don't know if there's too much bling now.

Another couple of jobs off the list. :)

sparkywig said:
One of the good things about working 90 seconds from home, is that when the wan*er shopfitters aren't ready for me I can pop back and do a bit on the bus.

Don't know if there's too much bling now.

I like the jailbar on your bus, looks good!
Regards
Reto
Another couple of jobs off the list. :)

So, Bristol Volksfest. Gert mint weekend, good company, reasonable weather and lots to drink. :D
Just a couple of pics.

Obligatory first there snap with George.

Watching the footie in the barn on Thursday.

Flag's up.

Lounge is ready.

One must maintain one's standards, even when camping.

Rained a bit on Thursday.

That's better, talking now. ;)

Neville Staples on stage Friday night.

Just a couple turned up to watch.

Saturday's line up.

Bit of urban art. #upfest

Rained a bit from Sunday afternoon onwards. A tad damp during Monday's clear up.

Great pics mate - definitely on our calendar of shows to do next year!
Everyone sounds like they had a wicked time!
8) 8) 8)

Rolling road session at JPR Tuning this morning.
Strapped down and ready to play.

First run was done, throttle linkage adjusted, carbs synced, idle set, and distributor advance curve changed.
Coil resistance was checked as well, winding resistance needs to greater than 3 ohm for electronic ignition.
Lots of load runs followed by jet changes to ensure mixture is correct throughout rev range. Video clips below.

https://youtu.be/gjOitGODBzg

Last run to make sure it's all OK.

https://youtu.be/OQNIurSrdAc

Final outcome. Red lines are current settings.
I need to get a lambda sensor bung fitted to the exhaust and then another visit to get it spot on, but for now it drives so much better than before.

:D

Latest posts