Re: 71 Ex-Danbury, the home straight.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

• red

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • white

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • beige

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • blue

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • other...

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
well, the colouring in has come along quite nicely. here is a sneak preview for all you picture whores;
254514_1591071955911_1809262891_1035411_4934423_n.jpg

254202_1591073795957_1809262891_1035418_5819287_n.jpg

253540_1591074035963_1809262891_1035419_4425859_n.jpg

251019_1591073555951_1809262891_1035417_5313300_n.jpg

250189_1591072635928_1809262891_1035413_8238347_n.jpg

248906_1591073435948_1809262891_1035416_5084319_n.jpg

248566_1591072275919_1809262891_1035412_2242763_n.jpg

255631_1591072795932_1809262891_1035414_5483408_n.jpg

Still getting vertigo though.

creationblue said:
Nice one, looks great! How pleased are you fella!!!???

Just

i may have broken the speed limit on the way there after work... (by quite a lot) I was chuffed as hell until he said he would have to put it to one side for another month or so before he could make a start on the mechanicals, if i had a garage id just trailer it back and start all that shit myself. but as it is, i get permanently teased by spurts of progress.

but right now..... HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

antoine said:
creationblue said:
Nice one, looks great! How pleased are you fella!!!???

Just

i may have broken the speed limit on the way there after work... (by quite a lot) I was chuffed as hell until he said he would have to put it to one side for another month or so before he could make a start on the mechanicals, if i had a garage id just trailer it back and start all that shit myself. but as it is, i get permanently teased by spurts of progress.

but right now..... HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

That must be a choker, still best things come to those that wait...........................

Just

exactly iv waited nearly 4 years, whats another month (excepting torture).
And he still needs to finish the engine bay, i think many here will be pleased with what happens there. ;)

antoine said:
And he still needs to finish the engine bay, i think many here will be pleased with what happens there. ;)

Ah what you got planned??????????

Just

creationblue said:
antoine said:

Just

I could tell you... but i might have to kill you.
:msn4:

Its just my OCD coming through on the detailing front. The first step is a nice and simple colour scheme, then come the mod cons. It will all become clear in time.

antoine said:
creationblue said:
antoine said:

Just

Its just my OCD coming through on the detailing front. The first step is a nice and simple colour scheme, then come the mod cons. It will all become clear in time.

Ill keep an eye on ya with interest..... 8)

Just

antoine said:
creationblue said:
antoine said:

Just

Heard rumours he was already dead from the neck up :msn4: :lol:

page 2 again? that just shows how slowly the (very nice) man is going. getting a bit fed up of waiting for him to shift on other stuff. apparently there is about 3 weeks work to get it road worthy. now why cant he just spend 3 weeks getting my van finished and out of his workshop rather than moving it about to give him space to do bits of others?

Any tips on giving a polite kick up the arse?

Well, the plan today was to do something productive, so i collected my bumper and headed off to where my tools live. unfortunately my dad had just got back from his caravan trip... thats pretty much where it started to go wrong.

He likes to help (despite denying it, (and yes he does read this thread)). but sometimes, he doesnt want to help, he would prefer to take over and do all of the job.

Which to be honest would probably have been a good thing, i could have blamed everything on him today. I got measurements for what the bumper ends should have been and set about marking them up to chop out the pointless 6 inch extention the PO had put in. Then i got out the grinder, which promptly started pissing out smoke so i pumped it full of compressed air and put it down, then my dad decides to find out why it isnt working, whilst i explain that the safety catch means you need to be a genius to turn it on in the first place, eventually he managed (it was close for a few minutes) and another cloud of smoke and a slight burning smell later it stops working all together...
So out came the Hacksaw, one blade had half its teeth and the other was quite good, we only discovered this after cutting one bit out.
Photo045.jpg

So on to the next cut with the new blade, and half way in it snaps, so back to the toothless one, what felt like a week later its cut. good times.
Photo051.jpg

then the bit where you cant go far wrong, except for the question of big hammer or little hammer? of course it was both hammers, so after pissing off the neighbours we got the shortened end into the right shape, and mocked it up,
Photo046-1.jpg

all was good, it measured up right, so it was all clamped up and i started tacking it in place and then beating the rest about with the gurt big ammer to get it fitting perfic.
Photo047.jpg

then after many years my dad decides that of course he wants a go with the welder...

of course that leads to more hammering to try and straighten out the bent bits elsewhere. resonating beautifully through the bumper, the workbench, the concrete floor, my teeth...

Long story short, i need a new grinder, new saw blades, new tips for the welder, a new diddy drill bit and a hearing aid.

And i still need to do the other end, plate up all the holes and re cut them as squares, path a couple of rust holes, chop out all the random cross pieces and angle iron, strip the paint, bash the shape back even more, prime, fill, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand and paint :lol: :lol: :lol:

Photo049.jpg

Photo050-1.jpg

bugger! had to SORN again, just got back from holiday and found a letter on the door mat stating my sorn ran out on the 31st of july...
helpful.

not happy, wanted to actually tax it this time, i haven't had the joy of a free tax disk appearing through the front door yet.

Toad said:
Nice looking van! :D
(I think that white dash top will drive you mad at night though)

I have to say i was thinking much the same, but its not the hardest bit to pull out and respray so ill see how it goes,

well, after some pestering it will be back out of storage in 2 weeks for the rebuild... apparently. so hopefully should be back on the road and ready to start the big job of getting the inside right by October, just in time for it to be too cold and dark to do anything productive on my drive. :lol:

After admiring your signature picture everytime I see it in other threads, it's nice to see the bus proper :D

Personnally I like the red with white roof combo, and the first design for the door cards 8)

:)

cheers fella, i have to say, the sig picture is mainlt to keep me from going mad waiting, its something to aim for.
I might be heading over to Hull when its done, I watched your Split resto on the Outcast forum but never got back on when they changed server. but never got to a meet in the van. who knows.

And its gotta be red, cos red makes it go faster! :lol:

Latest posts