My 69 Westfalia - Oxyboxer engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a nosey and my Norwegian is a little rusty but I got the gist of it :D

Great work - very clever with what you have done and it looks fantastic 8) :mrgreen:

tmatre said:
My wife has been away from home a few days.... :lol:
1305154862_9_FT817_motorvask.jpg

AMAZING <3 8) :D nice bus too !

The lower engine tins are now adjusted to fit the WBX block. I use T1 tins and have welded up the hole for preheating in the right rear tin.
1307394844_9_FT817_nedrekjleblikk.jpg

The T1 tin under the pushrod tubes fits when the holes under the sump is trimmed to M8 bolts and about 10mm is removed where the tin meets the wider block
1307394844_9_FT817_under_cylinder_blikk.jpg

Bugpack heat exchanger test fitted. I think there is space for a thin sandwich adapter to connect the oil cooler and a short oil filter...
1307394844_9_FT817_oljefilter.jpg

Great result from the trouble free mileage 8)

NOS towbar looks very nice :D

Hmm.. some progress on the engine also
Type 4 olil cooler monted with CSP oil cooler adapter
1316291210_9_FT817_oilcooler01.jpg

1316291210_9_FT817_oilcooler02.jpg

I also test mounted the oil filter and the sandwich adapter, but I think this is blocking to much of the hot air from the right side of the engine. I'm now using an oil filter relocator. This wil also make oil filter changes easier and less messy :)

There was not enough space for the oil pressure switch behind the pulley tin. I'm now using the oil pressure switch block from the oil cooler of a type 3 aircooled engine. This also gives enough room for an adapter and additional oil temp sensor
1316291210_9_FT817_oil_filter_relocator_pressure_temp.jpg

So I am curious as to what kind of horse power do you think you will get from this set up? It is very nice. I do think it will be more cc that 2009. Dont you? Oh... and have you put disc brakes on your bus yet? What trans axle are you gonna run?

Charlie Bubbles said:
So I am curious as to what kind of horse power do you think you will get from this set up? It is very nice. I do think it will be more cc that 2009. Dont you? Oh... and have you put disc brakes on your bus yet? What trans axle are you gonna run?

Yes, the engine displacement is 2021 (76*92) i have now corrected this in one of my first posts
I do not think to much about the horsepower, the inlet system will not give enough flow for a high rev engine.
What i am looking for is low end torque and hopefully a trouble free engine :)
I got a 228mm flywheel complete with clutch and roller bearing, and going to use this, I have not tested how much i have to grind of the clutch housing to fit this flywheel/clutch. I also got a NOS 5 rib gearbox I can use

Disc brakes is not fitted yet, but i have an agreement with a friend to buy a complete set from a late bay. I got some hints about T3 rear brakes also.. that they will fit the bay bus and the advantages is auto adjustments? Have to check that
I am looking for a set of 6" Teledials with adapter spacers, but for now I will use stock 5x112 14" wheels I think

I also bought a new Isabella Gaselle drive away tent lately
It is the same type as I bought a few years ago (orange and green) but the new is dark/light blue and matches the pop top canvas and the vinyl inside the bus. The new is in really nice condition, and it does not smell "old tent" :)

1319405481_9_FT817_isabella_gaselle.jpg

What fan/ shroud set up are you gonna use? Have you found a velocity ring for your fan shroud? Are you gonna use the type 4 oil cooler? thats one thing that I wish I had taken the time to do when I built. Turns out that it wasnt a necessity. But I am one who thinks the more oil the more better. Gene Berg makes that wieghted pulley for improved harmonics. I look forward to the completion of your project. And the pics of your front wheels getting off the ground. :lol:

Charlie Bubbles said:
What fan/ shroud set up are you gonna use? Have you found a velocity ring for your fan shroud? Are you gonna use the type 4 oil cooler? thats one thing that I wish I had taken the time to do when I built. Turns out that it wasnt a necessity. But I am one who thinks the more oil the more better. Gene Berg makes that wieghted pulley for improved harmonics. I look forward to the completion of your project. And the pics of your front wheels getting off the ground. :lol:

I will be using a standard 1600 fan shroud with doghouse
http://www.srvwk.com/e107_files/public/1306275310_9_FT817_viftehustilpasset.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have read about the velocity rings but have not decided if I am going to use this or not. The normal summer temperature here in Norway is often about 20-25 C and i do not think it is required.
Yes, a type 4 oil cooler is used and the cooling tin is modified for this.

Here are some pictures of the oil cooler and how I have attached it to the fan housing
CSP oil cooler adapter, hydraulic fittings
1321397023_9_FT817_oilcooler01.jpg

Type-4 Oil Cooler clamp modified so I can attach it to the fan housing
1321397023_9_FT817_oilcooler02.jpg

Modified engine tin for Type-4 oil cooler
1321397023_9_FT817_oilcooler03.jpg

Very cool build

I'm also thinking on a big oxy engine in my panel (maybe 82*97 8) ), so keep up the good work and post lots of pics of your build.

Hi Syncronaut, thanks!

I do not have project thread on vwnorge, only on my local club's webpage (http://www.srvwk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Today i mounted the Thule 953 bars on the bus, This clears the Westy roof nicely (found information about this by searching earlybay.com)
The canoe looks good on top of the camper, looking forward to the spring!

1321820143_9_FT817_kanobusstak.jpg

Latest posts