My 1971 bay project...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tofufi said:
Oh, and I went to remove the windscreen and found these:

CIMG6283.jpg

Hundreds of the buggers. I've left them to disperse naturally :)

Spiderlings - nasty! I'd have sucked them up the vacuum cleaner - otherwise you'll be finding them inside for months!

I hate spiders - remember, they only get BIGGER from here on in! :lol:

As for that award... It's called the 'My Bus Is On The Road Before Justin's Cup' :lol:

;)

Good work and respect for leaving the spiders alone 8)

When the revolution comes and the insects take over the world, you might get spared :lol:

:lol:

Hopefully the insects will wait until I've got this beast an MOT before they take over the world 8)

Went out today to do a bit more work on the bay:

Passenger A pillar before:

CIMG6309.jpg

CIMG6311.jpg

After:

CIMG6310.jpg

CIMG6312.jpg

Drivers side:

CIMG6313.jpg

to:

CIMG6314.jpg

Then did some welding to the B pillars:

CIMG6318.jpg

CIMG6319.jpg

CIMG6320.jpg

Now the 2 A pillars are all welded, and the B pillars almost done :)
Next step is Zinc primer, followed by primer, filler, primer, filling primer, primer and paint :D

Oh, and welding the last 4 pillars.

Did a bit more work to the van today:

CIMG6321.jpg

That thar hole I made allowed me to weld up the inner skin (drivers side B pillar)

Passenger side B pillar:

CIMG6322.jpg

CIMG6323.jpg

Driver's side B pillar welded up:
CIMG6324.jpg

CIMG6325.jpg

Primer applied to A and B pillars:

CIMG6326.jpg

CIMG6327.jpg

Later today I then applied some filler to the B pillars to get a good finish. There is no point in filling the front pillars as I will be replacing the front panel and windscreen rubber some time after the MOT.

CIMG6328.jpg

Anyone reckon my phone card will still work?

CIMG6329.jpg

Give that phonecard a going over with a baby-wipe, those things will clean anything!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

;)

Sorry, forgot to say - good work, it's looking great!

;)

Nice work on the roof dude! 8)

Looking good best use for a credit card putting body filler on :lol:

think the hardest bit is done now :shock:

Cheers guys - Liking the new Avatar Ginnam :D

Bruce, I reckon the hardest bit is almost done too - as soon as I've done welding the roof I'll be happy - the rear pillars are proving a bitch to weld :(

Anyway. I had the afternoon off today, so I did a bit more work..

Filler smoothed - anyone for a game of spot the join? :D

CIMG6333.jpg

I'm not entirely happy with it still, so I may be re-doing it all yet.

I welded up the passenger side C pillar,

CIMG6335.jpg

Before my attention turned to the sliding door mech cover / window seal surround bit.

CIMG6330.jpg

CIMG6332.jpg

CIMG6331.jpg

emded up like this:

CIMG6334.jpg

:( more work to do before i can fit windows... anyone know if ya need windows for an MOT? :twisted:

My work today was hindered by my welder playing up again - I had to re-fit the liner and wire feed mechanism. I then ran out of gas and got fed up, so I'll do more work tomorrow :wink:

Not sure about your window question, my understanding was always that you only need wipers if you've got a windscreen! I'm sure your MOT man wouldn't look to freely on it though!

Getting there, looking good!

;)

Tofufi - cheers!!

Tell ya what, I am so impressed with what you have achieved so far :shock:

When you are doing the window suround, how are you cutting out the metal - tin snips or cutting disks :?:

Cheers guys :D

I'm getting a bit lazy and taking a day off working on it today (7 days in a row of angle grinders and welding would be too much. At the age of 18 having to take breaks with it makes me feel old! :lol:

I've got the afternoon off tomorrow though so I should be able to crack on with it if the damn weather ever stops raining :D

Heres an update from today - I couldn't resist going and fitting my new ('68 only) mirror which came though the post this morning.

CIMG6339.jpg

CIMG6340.jpg

Hangs down a lot further than the old one! I like it 8)

Oh, and Ginnam, I'm using 2mm cutting discs on the grinder.
I have one grinder for cutting, one for grinding, one for the wire brush wheel and then my 9" grinder for heavy stuff :D
Having more grinders saves time changing discs constantly, and the grinders I use are only £9.82 each ;)

R.E. the lack of windows, I know my MOT man pretty well so I may go and see him about it beforehand :lol:

if only the brushes in my cheap grinders would last long enough to biuld up a collection. the grinder pile has become a bit of a feature in the workshop. had to have a clearout the other day as my ocd can not condone unplanned useless mess.

Tofufi said:
........I couldn't resist going and fitting my new ('68 only) mirror which came though the post this morning.

CIMG6340.jpg

Is the old mirror for sale and if so is it in reasonable nick? I'd be interested in a purchase. Good work by the way - when's it going to be on the road???

Andewilson, I have never had to replace the brushes yet... I've got a nice pile of them! The grinders normally die before that stage...

JohnS, the mirror isn't needed by me any more. I'll PM ya :wink:

I did a bit more work today...

CIMG6343.jpg

Welding up the passenger side rear pillar.

My welder kept on throwing tantrums, which I tracked down to being due to this:
CIMG6344.jpg

Should have been connected so you can't see the welding wire. It kept on screwing up the wire all inside the handle.

B pillar finished:

CIMG6345.jpg

More Rear pillar finishing

CIMG6346.jpg

Continued welding the outside of the pillar:

CIMG6348.jpg

CIMG6349.jpg

And finally, my bug :D

CIMG6347.jpg

More to come 8)

Cracking job as usual and as for your bug - looks cute :roll: :wink:

Cheers chap :D

That bug was my first ever car, and my daily driver 8)

Today, my friend Tomarse from VZi came over and gave me a hand sorting the brakes...

After a lot of swearing, pain, 2 trips to the local motor factors (Millards on Gloucester Road, Bristol - best place ever!) and with the use of a (surprisingly true to it's name) eazi-bleed kit we had working brakes.

They actually work well enough to lock up the wheels, which is quite an achievement on a bay :wink:

Anyway, pictures of brake hoses are dull, so

My van needs hydraaulic suspension:

CIMG6352.jpg

Mmmm lowering..
CIMG6354.jpg

Windscreen securely held on pre brake testing

CIMG6357.jpg

CIMG6360.jpg

CIMG6358.jpg

CIMG6362.jpg

If anyone's interested, we fitted new flexi brake lines. Sorted one problem where the front wheel bearings wouldn't tighten up.
We did a few other things too, but I can't remember them... :oops:

Back to bodywork tomorrow :?

Latest posts