My 1971 bay project...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work dude!

Tell the monkey down the road to jog on! or he will get the earlybay heavies round! :shock: 8)

Cheers guys for the comments 8)

Been a rather long while since I've had any news for this - 6 A level exams this january havn't given me much time to work on mending him. And my beetle breaking down didn't help either :rolleyes:

Anyway, this may seem a step that is pointless and stupid to take before I've got the roof on - I've started doing some work for the interior.
Only reason is, my DT teacher needs me to make the interior in the next 6-8 weeks so that the A level coursework can be written up, marked etc etc.
Today, I went to B&Q (purveyors of expensive poor quality wood :D) and got some 9mm ply. 6ftx6ft in 2x6 sheets.

A bit of fetting later:

CIMG5752.jpg

CIMG5754.jpg

CIMG5755.jpg

CIMG5756.jpg

Only took 3 pieces , one took rather a while to get perfect. Anyway, now they fit perfect, and so snugly that they require the use of a mallet to get them side by side :D

More progress (both roof and non-roof related) should be coming soon - only 2 more exams to go this january :D

Cheers guys - been a while since I updated this so I thought I should.

The LHD roof proved too difficult to fit as the sliding door is on the wrong side and the bits around the roof on my van are too rotten. Thus, I sold that and got a roof from a RHD yesterday. (took it the 190 miles from essex to Bristol on the passat again!)

CIMG6014.jpg

CIMG6000.jpg

It should go on a bit easier, especially as it is from a '70 so has the same vents etc..

And I picked up a couple of doors, a side window quarterlight and a few other bits :D

The new roof will be welded in at the pillars :)

Meanwhile, back in interior land:

I have been building a frame for the seats.

CIMG5955.jpg

CIMG5956.jpg

It's gonna end up with a fridge, oven, twin hob and sink, whilst being able to seat 3 or 4 people easily too AND then also be able to sleep two people (not all at once :lol:

CIMG5957.jpg

CIMG5958.jpg

It will have an L shaped seat at the back, with a cupboard behind the drivers seat to hold the fridge etc. It's coming along slowly :)

I got the sink / cupboard unit frame finished.

CIMG5960.jpg

And just for fun I put all the things in it that will go in the finished thing eventually to see how it all fitted :D

CIMG5961.jpg

It all looks rather square at the moment but I assure you some curves will be coming I hope :)

This was followed by:

Getting my plywood, and started fitting it up :D

CIMG5967.jpg

CIMG5968.jpg

New power tools are goood :D

CIMG5972.jpg

Resulted in:

First off, I smoothed the front of the seat bit down (no pics)
next,
Side panel for the sink etc unit.:
CIMG5973.jpg

Top of it cut to fit:

CIMG5974.jpg

Front of it cut to shape:

CIMG5975.jpg

I'm a bit worried about this gap:

CIMG5976.jpg

Don't know if anyone is interested, but van interior finished :D

New side piece to cure the gap:

CIMG5988-1.jpg

CIMG6031.jpg

CIMG6032.jpg

CIMG6033.jpg

Suitable for someone who is 7ft to sleep on!

CIMG6025.jpg

I've not cut cupboard doors, sink, fridge etc into it yet, but it is finished as far as my school project is concerned. And my van needs a roof before an interior really ;)

More to follow :)

I just love this thread! Som much effort into a van that needs to be looked over in almost every place. And as a bus owner and a student I understand your time troubles (allthough I'm not shure of the exact time requirement for your studies).

Tintop said:
Fantastic! I've never seen a roof off resto.

Keep the pictures coming.

Then I guess you haven't seen this:

The bus:

238.jpg

The roof:

225.jpg

Turned into:

273.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics, (this is my westy conversion, just had to brag a little, I won't trash this thread any further)

Nice work Kee, it looks like you had a nice solid base to weld that roof to 8)

Thanks for all the comments guys :D - I'm back to doing real (metal!) work with it rather than the woodwork now 8)

Before I started, I went round the bus with a hammer tapping all the slightly suspect bodywork bits :cry:

CIMG6055.jpg

CIMG6056.jpg

CIMG6057.jpg

I picked up some better doors for this with the roof, so that's no problem.

Here is how the bus looked as a whole a few hours ago:

CIMG6058.jpg

CIMG6059.jpg

Anyway, I had to start prepping the van for the new roof to be transplanted on at the pillars. The pictures show the inner strengthening in the pillars - I plan to cut access holes so these can be welded up to maintain strength in the pillars :)

number one:
CIMG6061.jpg

(first ever time using a 9" grinder, it cuts well but I didn't do this one quite straight - it will need tidying)

The strengthening:
CIMG6063.jpg

And the reason I was removing this:
CIMG6064.jpg

Rust!

Pillar two:
CIMG6065.jpg

Pillar 3:

CIMG6067.jpg

Pillar 4:

CIMG6068.jpg

Front pillars are as shagged as the front panel is.

CIMG6069.jpg

But, I found evidence of someone using a welder rather than filler! :?

CIMG6071.jpg

That's all for now folks.

:lol:

Did a bit more today.

Tom cutting:

CIMG6092.jpg

Both sides gone:
CIMG6093.jpg

2 moon vents:

CIMG6095.jpg

Hopefully all will be prepped tomoorrow in preparation for roof day on saturday. :D

God - wouldn't know where to start with what your doing :p
Enjoying what you are doing and keep up the good work :D

Good luck with this chap! 8) hope that them pillars fit together! if not and you need a bit of beans give us a shout and i can give you a hand. 8)

Well done, the next few steps will be challenging, when i got to the stage of cutting the roof off mine i knew if i cocked it up the bus would be scrap, so didnt sleep too well until things worked out ok. Hope that dude up the road has stopped complaining about the noise, so you can crack on!! :wink:

Wow, deep resto dude. :shock: Im comfortable changing mechanical bits but this sort of thing scares the bejesus out of me. :?

Latest posts