Monty the Red Campervan

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love it Mike. Just done this job (with the ply) and quite enjoyed it.
We love our propex, doesn't take long and the bus is lovely and toasty. I connected up my heat exchangers to the fan housing the other day and took it for a spin, boy!! I forgot how good the stock heating is! Had to turn it down (honestly!!)

Got the new tyres I ordered online fitted on my van. Hankook Vantra 185R14 102 8 ply.

The van does feel more stable with these stronger tyres, I had a 20 mile drive today in windy conditions and whilst you can't change the shape of the van, and the fact that I've kept it stock height, it was a definite improvement.

not washed the waxy stuff off that the tyre fitter used yet.

I have also been tinkering again (sorry Kev :lol: ) and I've fitted a throttle kit from Butty's Bits. I was a bit reluctant at first to fit this as my existing link under the pedal was in good condition, however it does make the pedal feel a lot smoother. More importantly I get the carb to open fully which I think it was missing before.
It was actually fairly easy to fit and I didn't have to adjust anything. :mrgreen:

I have sprayed some lithium grease on the mounting point before I remembered to take a pic. :roll: The cable conduit is just to protect the throttle cable as it goes through the chassis.

that's it for now!

thanks for looking and any comments are welcome :)

Looking good! Out of interest on your accelerator linkage, does the bolt that holds it onto the pedal come loose?

Also we're doing things at almost the same time, new ply, new tyres, bus twins!

Hi Mike i got 185 tyres fitted I've been reading your post with interest, i bought them at kwik fit, they where concerned about the weight of the van
and said if i had a accident with wrong tyres on it could invalidate my insurance? also with 185 tyres i was told i will experience oversteer, I've not had the chance to use the as yet and cannot remember the type I've bought :oops:

Would like to know what are they like and did you get much oversteer.

geordie

geordie said:
Hi Mike i got 185 tyres fitted I've been reading your post with interest, i bought them at kwik fit, they where concerned about the weight of the van
and said if i had a accident with wrong tyres on it could invalidate my insurance? also with 185 tyres i was told i will experience oversteer, I've not had the chance to use the as yet and cannot remember the type I've bought :oops:

geordie

Just to add to this, I also had 185 R14 tyres put on, they're Continental Vanco's, so they're rated as commercial tyres and the 185 R14 are what the busses came out of the factory with.

Supertramp

Another good think is it does improve the hight of the van. its stock height so your not having to bend down as much to get in to the van. i do like slammed vans but i like it that i can get in easy.
Dam I'm really showing my age now :shock:

geordie said:
Supertramp

Another good think is it does improve the hight of the van. its stock height so your not having to bend down as much to get in to the van. i do like slammed vans but i like it that i can get in easy.

Mine is stock as stock can be and I love the height. I like being above cars and also I want to go off the beaten track. Anyway, sorry for interrupting your thread Mike!

Supertramp said:
Looking good! Out of interest on your accelerator linkage, does the bolt that holds it onto the pedal come loose?

Also we're doing things at almost the same time, new ply, new tyres, bus twins!

Hi mate yes bus twins ;-)
Its a nylock nut so shouldn't work loose

geordie said:

geordie

185 is the tread width and was the original stock width. The insurance thing is probably to do with the load factor which on mine is 102 which is code for 850kg iirc per tyre
You don't want tyres with a load factor that is too low for the gross max weight of your bus. Plus a bit extra.
I have driven up to Scotland this week 300+ miles and have to say the new tyres are a big improvement. No oversteer.
:)

Supertramp said:
geordie said:
Supertramp

Mine is stock as stock can be and I love the height. I like being above cars and also I want to go off the beaten track. Anyway, sorry for interrupting your thread Mike!
No problem!

Been on a few camping trips with Monty over the summer, so far. The webasto heater has come in handy a few evenings :lol:

Scotland in June did 1500 miles over three weeks without incident. Just needed 1/2 litre of oil once.

Went to Whitby a couple of weeks ago and saw this nice '71 in the Abbey car park.

forgot to take any pics of my own van :roll:

Nice campsite near Lorton in the Lakes

Always a relief to come back from a long walk to find the van ok.

couldn't resist some stainless steel wipers to go with the OG wiper blades I bought from someone on here.

my new tax disk- £1.24 from tesco :lol:

We are going to VW festival at Harewood house tomorrow and looking forward to another Busfest in September. 8) 8) :)

EeVeeWee said:
Nice to see a beautiful Bay Window which is also at the right height! :mrgreen:

thanks mate, I get to see over hedges and walls while driving through the countryside and also a good view of how deep the next pothole is. :lol:

Your van is really nice as well. :)

Latest posts