Monty the Red Campervan

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great campsite and fab photos.

Take great care with your fuel sender if you take the tank out though. Changing the filler neck hose can be really difficult, but a bit of red rubber grease helps a lot. Might as well put some more sound insulation in there too when you've got the headroom

Good to see you at Busfest, Mike...nice pics you got there, thanks for sharing. Your bus just gets better and better. :D

I could have recommended Caerfai Bay, stayed there last April, a bit cold but a cracking site in a fantastic location, as you say.

Quick question about your awning (as ours is leaking like a sieve): which model is it, and how effective is the groundsheet at keeping draughts and crawly things out? Would you recommend it to sleep in?

Kev

KevH said:
Good to see you at Busfest, Mike...nice pics you got there, thanks for sharing. Your bus just gets better and better. :D

I could have recommended Caerfai Bay, stayed there last April, a bit cold but a cracking site in a fantastic location, as you say.

Quick question about your awning (as ours is leaking like a sieve): which model is it, and how effective is the groundsheet at keeping draughts and crawly things out? Would you recommend it to sleep in?

Kev

Nice to see you both as well. Your bus is looking pretty good too. 8)

We didn't know we were going to Caerfai Bay until we were on the way! It just seemed sunnier in the west at the time. Hope you had a nice time in Cornwall :)

Our awning is a Khyam Motordome classic. It's not too bad to put up although I would be tempted by the airbeam type if I was buying again. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the awning; as it's nice to have all the extra space, but then if it's windy it flaps all night! :lol:

It doesn't have a sown in ground sheet and I actually prefer this, as it doesn't kill the grass if you're at the pitch for a few days. There is a two berth inner tent which can be put up separately to one side, and that does have a ground sheet sown in.

If I was sleeping in the awning (without the inner tent) I think an under van awning skirt would be a good idea to prevent draughts and for privacy.

If your awning is leaking have you tried a tube of seam sealant? Cheaper than a new awning!

That helps enormously Mike, thanks.

Cornwall was great as always; we broke the journey at Brixham (Devon) straight from Busfest, then on to Mullion, St.Ives (Gwithiam) and finally Padstow, for a total of 17 nights, none of it pre-booked or scheduled. Lots of wind and rain, but some sun too, hence we need a watertight awning :D

We have opted to reproof the Outwell again, for a last time, with a view to spotting our perfect replacement on our travels in 2016.

Great line up at Busfest I thought, pity about the location, but with more buses next year we could really wow the crowd, I am sure.

Kev

It's been a while..

I started a new job last December.

I was pleased that the petrol tank was in good condition :) after we had a few whiffs of petrol fumes whilst camping. It turned out to be a small weeping section of pipe underneath the tank that was the cause.

Anyway after 5 years of having the van finally decided to get some continental sun instead of Scottish midges and drizzle :lol:
Drove to the west coast of France via the ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo. First stop Ile de Re which was lovely lots of long beaches and pretty villages.

From there went to Noirmoutier en Ile which again was beautiful. We ate lots of crusty bread and soft fromage and salads. On the last day we went to Mont St Michel which is spectacular and very worth a visit.

We got bitten by midges almost as much as in Scotland ! At least it was warmer.

I drove around 1400 miles altogether and used about 1/2 litre of oil. No problems at all, apart from I am not happy with stock height any more. The problem is that as the front end is almost 3'' higher than the rear I have to make adjustments to level it out when camping other wise you head is lower than your feet when sleeping which I don't like.

We also got a new Vango Kela inflatable awning which was great and very easy to put up.

Can't wait to go back to France next year for another trip.

Great pics Mike - long time no see! :D
Congratulations on your Europe trip, Clare and I love traveling the continent!
You doing busfest this year?

Hi Mike

I've a free tip for the high front when sleeping. sleep the other way around, head at sink. Works fine for me and keeps us with proper suspension travel.

(not sure which way around one is supposed to sleep, but feet to the back window for us. 8) )

looks like a good trip and one we're thinking of doing sometime

Bluesnailman said:
Hi Mike

I've a free tip for the high front when sleeping. sleep the other way around, head at sink. Works fine for me and keeps us with proper suspension travel.

(not sure which way around one is supposed to sleep, but feet to the back window for us. 8) )

looks like a good trip and one we're thinking of doing sometime

Hi Mike

Sounds like a great trip, really pleased that your bus did you proud. As above, we are stock height as you know, and we too sleep with feet to the hatch. Always works for us. :D

Kev

mike202 said:
Thanks for the suggestion guys but we have tried that and it doesn't work for us :?

Still mulling this over as to what a solution could be.

Not sure why they call it a headbanger locker, everyone is sleeping the wrong way round.

9.jpg

mike202 said:
Thanks for the suggestion guys but we have tried that and it doesn't work for us :?

Still mulling this over as to what a solution could be.

Could you not fit those fancy gas adjustable shocks on the front and just let the air out when camping to drop the bus down and pump them back up before leaving again to regain standard height? Small 12v compressor might do the trick and are supposed to be a doddle to install?

A quick update. I have put in some new seatbelts. The problem with the static type will be well known to all that have them. However I had OG belts that were in good condition so I hesitated to replace them with modern inertia reel ones. A company called FDTS in Surrey have helped with a good solution for me. I've kept the hardware , buckle and retainer bracket but have a modern inertia reel unit and new belts.

I'm very pleased with them, and no more unclipping at junctions when looking right!

:)

Latest posts