Monty the Red Campervan

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The engine support bar or 'moustache' bar had to be replaced. I got a refurbished one from C&C and two new engine mounts and Rob at the garage replaced the old one for me. It was sprayed with black paint before fitting.

New engine mounts and bolts were also fitted.

I took Monty for a test drive and noticed an improvement in the noise levels straight the way. At 60 mph, top speed for me [emoji23]the difference was very noticeable. I always thought that the huge roar at 60 meant I was going too fast but it felt quite comfortable at that speed. Even first gear seemed easier to select.
So happy [emoji4] [emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dirty Harry said:
Whow... just in time!!
Perfect shocks you have there ;)

Yes it was just in time, it wasn't safe to drive after finding the split in the support bar. I think it hadn't been supporting the engine properly for a while causing excessive vibration of the engine and noise. [emoji15]

The Koni shocks have helped to improve the ride a lot.[emoji106]

Can't wait for first camping trip [emoji3][emoji3][emoji41][emoji41]

if there ever was an excuse to get a nice shiny exhaust to set the new moustache bar off :p

Had a great weekend in the Lakes at Sykeside campsite near Bothers Water. The weather was pretty good everywhere I think, but I hadn't expected it to be so good here. First camping trip of the year. Everything went fine except someone forgot the folding chairs! :oops: :lol:

Sykeside campsite is in a beautiful dramatic setting amongst some lovely fells. The pitches themselves are a bit too close together for us, and we prefer a more grassy informal site.

sun setting

the pitches filled up later that evening.

moon was bright

Next day: the nearby Kirkstone Pass Inn, a stop for refreshments :)

mike202 said:
Yes it was just in time, it wasn't safe to drive after finding the split in the support bar. I think it hadn't been supporting the engine properly for a while causing excessive vibration of the engine and noise. [emoji15]
First off; Monty is one pretty bus! Cherish him. We are currently on the lookout for just such a Monty to join our family.

I know I'm a bit ignorant here but I'm a bit disappointed to read that the moustache bar is apparently essential. Somewhere I was hoping that you could do without (again; wishful thinking, I know). I have a (very) good reconditioned and rebuilt 1600 that is currently in our '62 beetle which should work perfectly in our -future- westy. Though the engine block hasn't got the moustache bar mounts... Any thoughts or tips? (I'm quite into beetles but fairly new to early bays.)

SierraBravo said:
mike202 said:
First off; Monty is one pretty bus! Cherish him. We are currently on the lookout for just such a Monty to join our family.

I know I'm a bit ignorant here but I'm a bit disappointed to read that the moustache bar is apparently essential. Somewhere I was hoping that you could do without (again; wishful thinking, I know). I have a (very) good reconditioned and rebuilt 1600 that is currently in our '62 beetle which should work perfectly in our -future- westy. Though the engine block hasn't got the moustache bar mounts... Any thoughts or tips? (I'm quite into beetles but fairly new to early bays.)

You can buy an adaptor plate to sort that out I think Machine 7 do them.

Love Monty, same colour as ours one of the best original colours 8)

1dub said:
SierraBravo said:
mike202 said:

You can buy an adaptor plate to sort that out I think Machine 7 do them.

Love Monty, same colour as ours one of the best original colours 8)

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Sierrabravo I hope you find a nice bay, they are great for family camping [emoji554]️ Lots of smiles and waves when you drive on the campsite![emoji3][emoji106]

1dub the colour does stand out on the campsite. [emoji41]
The moustache bar is important in a bay, I don't know about beetles so glad you could answer that.

Recent walking trip to Glen Nevis. It was still a bit wintry at times, we drove home through Glencoe in snow :shock:

setting off on the Ring of Steall hike.

approaching the last hill

A nice dutch couple took this pic for me.

A drive down into Glen Nevis the next day.

Great pics Mike - and great spot on the moustache bar! That could have been emotional if it let go!
Bus is looking fantastic as always!

StuF said:
Great pics Mike - and great spot on the moustache bar! That could have been emotional if it let go!
Bus is looking fantastic as always!

Thanks Stu, yes it wouldn't have been ideal if it failed on a journey![emoji28]

TBH it was the garage that spotted it after I took Monty in because of fumes. It looks as though that is leaky push rod tubes and oil going onto the HXs though.

[emoji3]

Latest posts