Lowering Gurus wanted - The Gaz shock thread

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'd be interested but not sure which ones i would need
ive got wagonswest drop spindles 2.5 inch i think 4"narrowed beam and adjusters on both tubes which cant go any higher just lower :shock:

mark

Graham L said:
The only reason I mentioned fitting shorter springs (and geeze is right on this) was I felt the current ones were a little too long compared with the damper body and believe a better ride/height combo could be achieved but have yet to try it. As I said I fitted 125lb springs to start with but feel the ride is better on 150lb springs.

I did try and offer these dampers nearly 18 months ago and no one would commit so its odd that this thread has raised so much debate so far down the line, perhaps I didnt shout loud enough at the time :? :? , I offered to lend my test set out and it was only Adam that ever took me up on that offer.

I'm happy to carry out some more testing and put more results up if it will help the EB community :) but Adam seems to be doing a good job.

Glad someone managed to decode my ramblings :D

Think that the issue 18months ago was that the spindles were only just starting to become widespread and everyone had recently fitted cheapy coilovers. They weren't ideal but they were new and doing an ok job.

Now, a year or so down the line, the cheap ones are all starting to need replacing because they leak / go soft / eat their bushes (I know mine are on delrin bushes now) so people are interested in something that will do a better job and last a lot longer.

Mark6455 said:
ive got wagonswest drop spindles 2.5 inch i think 4"narrowed beam and adjusters on both tubes which cant go any higher just lower :shock:

mark

You may need a different size as the transporterhaus spindles are 3.5 inch. Best bet is to measure the distance between the shock mounts and compare it to other peoples to give you an idea

67westy said:
Mark6455 said:

mark

You may need a different size as the transporterhaus spindles are 3.5 inch. Best bet is to measure the distance between the shock mounts and compare it to other peoples to give you an idea

Just checked with my mate who fitted them they are 3.5 inch drop so should be the same as yours
Ill keep checking this post for an update

Cheers

Mark

Mark6455 said:
67westy said:
Mark6455 said:

mark

Just checked with my mate who fitted them they are 3.5 inch drop so should be the same as yours
Ill keep checking this post for an update

Cheers

Mark

Wagenwest bay window spindles are 2 1/2" drop.

Thanks for correcting this wigg ill have to get the cheap coilovers off and measure up then its gonna be hard as we had to really compress them to get them on here have a look

Passenger side
02178F16-DF07-4C02-A473-572D95061A83-1687-000002363E36F9BD.jpg

Drivers side
720E126F-5DE4-4D8F-97D8-0F851B6FC5EF-1687-0000023635A0EF23.jpg

Thanks

Mark

sparkywig said:
Just measure between the shock mounts and use that figure, as the new shocks will be about a 1/3 into their travel at this point.

So shall I leave the shocks in situ and measure the distance or take em off sit it on its wheels and measure?

I think the shocks when off were 17" and had to be compressed to 14" to fit so not s lot of travel left in them now

Ok cool
I've got some spax crypton gas adjust but it just sits on the tubs with them fitted

Just read this tread looks interesting. Are people still exploring the GAZ shocks or has it died again? Or moved to another tread? :?

I am deffo getting a set of 16" shocks with 9" 150 lb springs. Probably in the New year. best get xmas out of the way.

mi2itsdl said:
I am deffo getting a set of 16" shocks with 9" 150 lb springs. Probably in the New year. best get xmas out of the way.

Ill be considering these as well, indeed other comments seem valid in respect to renewed interest due to crap T2D coilovers being just that, crap!

what options in term of length do we have on the springs - it sounds like the 150lb springs are a good option. And it also seems like the 16" length is preferred.
I have looked back through and probably missed it but are the dampers adjustable too?

And those that have bought - would you change anything or even not buy at all?

thanks

Darren

I am also interested in getting pair, group buy or not, however being a simpleton I have a few basic questions which hopefully someone can answer for me? :oops:

If you run coil overs is there still a requirement for the beam leaf springs or do you remove them?

If leaf springs are left in do I remove the existing shock and drop the van back down to measure shock length? ie bolt mount distance

And help appreciated as I am fed up with the crap soft T2D shocks I currently have, the front of the van bounces everywhere, not good.

Cheers

dubdubz said:
what options in term of length do we have on the springs - it sounds like the 150lb springs are a good option. And it also seems like the 16" length is preferred.
I have looked back through and probably missed it but are the dampers adjustable too?

And those that have bought - would you change anything or even not buy at all?

thanks

Darren

I was recommended the 10" springs by the chaps at Gaz so that's what I went with, not sure what other lengths they offer. As you know I would buy them again but probably go for the 150 springs based on Grahams experience. If money wasn't a barrier then I would probably be more tempted by the red9 wishbone setup but I am happy with drop spindles and gaz shocks.

curly head said:
If you run coil overs is there still a requirement for the beam leaf springs or do you remove them?

If leaf springs are left in do I remove the existing shock and drop the van back down to measure shock length? ie bolt mount distance

And help appreciated as I am fed up with the crap soft T2D shocks I currently have, the front of the van bounces everywhere, not good.

Cheers

I would think you could get away without the leaf springs but if there is nothing wrong with them then leave them in. You may need higher rated springs to compensate I guess. You would want the bolt mount distance but from everyones feedback I would expect the 16" ones should be right for most people. I'm assuming you are running drop spindles?

Latest posts