Lowering Gurus wanted - The Gaz shock thread

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I just phoned Gaz and my shocks have been sent today, woohoo!! Just means I'm too late to change the springs, I guess it's easy enough today at a later date? I will post pics and details over the weekend if anyone needs them

No spring compressor needed you just wind the adjuster rings down enough to release the spring from the damper body

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well a box full of goodness arrived at lunch :)

IMAG0027_zps5765a120.jpg

IMAG0028_zpscbec6abc.jpg

They will be on the van tomorrow, weather permitting. For those who are interested I ordered the Gaz GP shocks, product code 160/105B12 16"x1.9 32x12 with 10"x125lbx1.9 springs although Graham has the 150lb springs. Total cost was £181.72 including delivery.

Hi Adam

I'm sure I put 9" springs on mine so we could play height adjustment with the spring platforms, will check if I get a chance over the weekend

But then looking at the pictures of mine maybe not, do yours have the second lock ring on for the spring as they should do?

4f88a09b.jpg

67westy said:

They will be on the van tomorrow, weather permitting.

Looking forward to hearing how they ride with your set up. How do you think these would go at the rear? Worth the extra coin for the back or would a set of KYB's do the job?

Sorry completely off topic

jonboylaw said:
I may be wrong, but the single adjuster ring variants have a grubscrew in them to lock them in place, at least that how they were on my Gaz shocks for the Caterham.

Another Caterham or ex Caterham owner??, are you or were you a member of the L7CGB??

aspro said:
67westy said:

They will be on the van tomorrow, weather permitting.

Looking forward to hearing how they ride with your set up. How do you think these would go at the rear? Worth the extra coin for the back or would a set of KYB's do the job?

Don't think they are suitable for the rear, normal shocks usually work on the rear depending what you are running

Graham L said:
Hi Adam

I'm sure I put 9" springs on mine so we could play height adjustment with the spring platforms, will check if I get a chance over the weekend

But then looking at the pictures of mine maybe not, do yours have the second lock ring on for the spring as they should do?

4f88a09b.jpg

Good spot Graham, I phoned Gaz as I was back at work and they confirmed it is usually a grub screw on 1.9" springs and double rings on 2.25" springs as jonboylaw said.

dubdubz said:
dumb@ss q...where can you order these from?

I phoned up Gaz direct as I needed some info to make sure I got the right spec. http://www.gazshocks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 01268 724585 if there is interest it could be worth asking for a group buy discount, obviously too late for me though :roll:

67westy said:

IMAG0028_zpscbec6abc.jpg

They will be on the van tomorrow, weather permitting. For those who are interested I ordered the Gaz GP shocks, product code 160/105B12 16"x1.9 32x12 with 10"x125lbx1.9 springs although Graham has the 150lb springs. Total cost was £181.72 including delivery.

Those look the business for dropped spindles, beginning to wish I had gone for these instead of my adjustable spaxs, roughly the same price as well :cry:

Interested to see how they perform on a westy!

mister said:
Those look the business for dropped spindles, beginning to wish I had gone for these instead of my adjustable spaxs, roughly the same price as well :cry:

Hopefully the same as the set I borrowed off Graham, they worked very very well. I had very very occasional scuffing on exceptionally bumpy roads at speed but that was to test them rather than normal driving. I want to give the stiffer springs a go as well to see if it's further improved, will probably be next year now though.

If anyone wants to come for a test drive then let me know :)

67westy said:
mister said:

Hopefully the same as the set I borrowed off Graham, they worked very very well. I had very very occasional scuffing on exceptionally bumpy roads at speed but that was to test them rather than normal driving. I want to give the stiffer springs a go as well to see if it's further improved, will probably be next year now though.

If anyone wants to come for a test drive then let me know :)

I would be really interested to see how they are when loaded up for a trip, my current set up is great for just me driving about which is 95% of the time. However when its kids, wife and camping stuff the rub is a bit too much.
Cheers.

cheers - my bugpack GSF jobbies are very harsh, they pretty much hold up to the anti scrubbing, but the front 'crashes' and is not nice.
What is wrong ? the damping not enough, so the springs are doing the work? Just curious why it feels the way it does.

Actually I have only noticed it since I have got suspension back in the back! I had 1% suspension - literally my suspension was the rear bumpstops compressing!

so the smooth rear accentuates the not so smooth front!

mister said:
I would be really interested to see how they are when loaded up for a trip, my current set up is great for just me driving about which is 95% of the time. However when its kids, wife and camping stuff the rub is a bit too much.
Cheers.

From past experience I would say they are up to the job. Problem is there are lots of variables. How low you are, torison spring condion, total weight, tyre size etc..... I think a test pair would be useful

dubdubz said:
cheers - my bugpack GSF jobbies are very harsh, they pretty much hold up to the anti scrubbing, but the front 'crashes' and is not nice.
What is wrong ? the damping not enough, so the springs are doing the work? Just curious why it feels the way it does.

Actually I have only noticed it since I have got suspension back in the back! I had 1% suspension - literally my suspension was the rear bumpstops compressing!

so the smooth rear accentuates the not so smooth front!

Do you have front bumpstops? Probably too soft springs meaning you are crashing into the bumpstop all the time

dubdubz said:
67westy said:
Do you have front bumpstops? Probably too soft springs meaning you are crashing into the bumpstop all the time

no bumpstops- 60mm narrowed - the spring seems too harsh?

Oh right, maybe I guess. I would normally associate crashy with something reaching the end of it's travel hence the bump stops. Maybe the bugpack ones are too soft and fully compressing? I would think a stiffer spring would give a firmer ride but it would have to be pretty stiff before you reached the crashy stage. Wrap bluetac around the spring and see if you get an impression from where it's compressed :)

Latest posts