Lowering Gurus wanted - The Gaz shock thread

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
perhaps crashy is not the right term, its a hard ride, lots of banging - no thats not right. The spring rate seems to strong, so any bump is really felt? sure the spring is set on the longest setting so I assumed the softest.

hoping to install bumpstops this weekend and return to normal [shorter shocks]

That surprises me as I think the GSF ones are the same as what I have and I have found them pretty soft even on the hardest (shortest) setting. I don't think you're a million miles away so if you want to pop over and try the Gaz shocks for a comparison you're more than welcome, wont take long to switch them around :)

:mrgreen: sorry bit of a thread hijack :oops: sounds like a plan though - perhaps I'm mistaking the crashing for hard when it's soft? but it doesn't rub?

I know that its not right as is - some adjustment or changes are needed....

You might not be getting the rubbing as you are narrowed. Drop me a PM if you want to give them a try some time :)

would there be a chance you could run 185/14 tyres with the transporterhaus spindles if they were combined with these shocks?

dames said:
would there be a chance you could run 185/14 tyres with the transporterhaus spindles if they were combined with these shocks?

I currently run 175/65/14's and would be tempted to try 185's now I have the shocks on. If you have a stock beam I would be pretty confident that 185's would be ok.

Well this afternoon the shocks were fitted, ride is much improved nice and firm rather than bouncy and a lot happier going over uneven surfaces and speed bumps. I took some measurements.

Drivers side unloaded:

IMAG0033_zpsa8d95aca.jpg

I got the Mrs to sit in the appropriate seat to load the shock drivers side loaded we drop about half an inch:

IMAG0037_zps780aa4d7.jpg

Passenger side unloaded:

IMAG0034_zps63783c6c.jpg

Passenger side loaded again a half inch drop:

IMAG0035_zpsce1d8b97.jpg

Old and new:

IMAG0038_zps644f0d0a.jpg

Fitted:

IMAG0039_zps21ff996b.jpg

Drivers side unloaded, gained about half an inch:

IMAG0041_zps94aee0b7.jpg

Drivers side loaded, drops half an inch but still half better off :)

IMAG0043_zps8e553ced.jpg

Passenger side unloaded, gained quarter of an inch (not sure why there is a discrepancy in gains and overall distance)

IMAG0040_zps75e3c733.jpg

Passenger side loaded drop the qaurter inch, again half an inch better off:

IMAG0044_zps357d615e.jpg

So all in all a half inch gain on loaded height and a firmer set up means we get less movement so less chance of beam/road or wheel/arch collisions.

If anyone happens to get these then for a starter I had 10 clicks from minimum setting and 10cm from the middle of the seam to the base of the adjuster ring.

67westy said:
So all in all a half inch gain on loaded height and a firmer set up means we get less movement so less chance of beam/road or wheel/arch collisions.

If anyone happens to get these then for a starter I had 10 clicks from minimum setting and 10cm from the middle of the seam to the base of the adjuster ring.

Really loving this info. Almost convinced. Have you tried adjusting the springs back down again and seeing how it rides a little lower? Got any pics of the new stance from far?

When I ran originally on Grahams shock I was lower but still had an odd bit of scuffing so I wound them up to the settings above. Probably where the 150lb springs would make a difference. No shots of stance at the moment but I'll grab some later in the week when I get the van out of the garage.

Glad I popped back on and saw this (not been here for ages :oops: ) as have been looking into ordering the same thing but got hung up on spring rates / lengths. Thank you :D
Old GSF ones work out around 70lb by calculation so was dithering whether 125 would be enough of an upgrade....

I'd probably go 150 if I was buying again. If you get 150 and decide they are too firm then I'd be happy to swap for my 125s :)

This is all great stuff. I've been running a weedeater 2 in highest position and dropped spindles /coilovers for about 1 year and 4000 miles. In that time I've had to replace the coilovers as the bottom mounts failed. They are total shite and had said to myself next time look around for a better quality coil over.
My issue isn't really with rubbing as it's usually me on my own or my 3 year old up front...however it does rub occasionally when an adult is up front. My issue is the horrible bouncy ride.....so from a ride quality point of view would you say it is worth changing? (may go for it now rather than. Wait for the bottom mounts to fail!).
Thanks for the thread- the coil overs always were the weak link!

I am on my second set of T2D coilovers as the first pair failed in months, they are still not up to the job so I used a spacer on me lower torsion arm to put the bump stops back in play, the info here has been invaluable, I will read through it again to be sure I have it all right then order a pair of them Gaz shocks with 150 springs, thanks all who have contributed.

Well time for an update. The Mrs and I went for a trip round some of Lincolnshires finest B roads yesterday, nice and bumpy and uneven. I managed to bang the beam twice but that was driving at 55-60 on roads where I would normally sit around 40 if I wasn't testing the suspension, so much better. I think the stiffer springs may have helped further.

jimbope said:
My issue is the horrible bouncy ride.....so from a ride quality point of view would you say it is worth changing? (may go for it now rather than. Wait for the bottom mounts to fail!).
Thanks for the thread- the coil overs always were the weak link!

The ride is far less bouncy with these, fairly smooth really and there is plenty of scope for adjustment as well.

PIE said:
I am on my second set of T2D coilovers as the first pair failed in months, they are still not up to the job so I used a spacer on me lower torsion arm to put the bump stops back in play, the info here has been invaluable, I will read through it again to be sure I have it all right then order a pair of them Gaz shocks with 150 springs, thanks all who have contributed.

They are a much better and beefier bit of kit than the T2D style ones, hope they work for you.

If a few people are seriously interested I'd suggest approaching GAZ for a group buy, might be able to save yourselves a few quid!

67westy said:
They are a much better and beefier bit of kit than the T2D style ones, hope they work for you.

If a few people are seriously interested I'd suggest approaching GAZ for a group buy, might be able to save yourselves a few quid!

T2D ones are simply the same as the bugpack ones you get from GSF but have been sprayed a different colour.

When I offered these I just could not get enough interest, at the time GAZ were looking for a minimum of 10 sets and not enough people would put there hand up, I'm happy to try and sort this again (at cost) if people are interested.

Adam
My bus rides well with the 150lb springs but I'd nearly be tempted to buy a shorter spring next time and wind the ride height up that way as I think thats where your height increase is coming from, I've got the same issue but didn't have it when they were fitted to Monty with the same dampers??

Cheers Graham, could be worth a look. My other thought was to stiffen it up a bit more and then swap to a larger diameter tyre as I went as small as poss when I had the old bugpack coil overs on. This would give me a higher load rating and more beam clearance but would put the tyre nearer to the arch. Might have to look at reinstating the bump stops as well maybe. Bit of tuning still to be done but i need to be careful to not raise it too much so it'll still fit in the garage :)

I think the condition of the leaves may have a big impact on the ride which could be why you are having issues now and not with monty? Would panels run different leaves on the front?

Hi, my bay is lowered the old way( adjusters on fron, 1 spline back).
I've raised the back to standard and fitted horse shoes but my budget can't stretch to drop spindle( got to fund resto first).
My question is would it be possible to get the gaz coil overs that you guys are fitting with the drop spindles and fit them to my beam that's lowered on adjusters.
The idea is the gaz coil overs would smooth out the harsh ride then I can get dropped spindles later and I will already have the gaz coil overs.

From what I've gathered, adjusters adjust the ditance your beam and travels thus requiring shorter shocks to accomodate the change. Drop spindles don't affect the travel distance meaning you can get away with standard height shocks. So in theory you will need different length shocks. However Graham has mentioned above he would probably have gone for shorter shocks next time around and wind the coils up for maximum stiffness, so this might work for you. The only problem you have now is detremining what length shock will suit both scenarios. I'm sure Graham could shine some light on the issue. :D

aspro said:
From what I've gathered, adjusters adjust the ditance your beam and travels thus requiring shorter shocks to accomodate the change. Drop spindles don't affect the travel distance meaning you can get away with standard height shocks. So in theory you will need different length shocks. However Graham has mentioned above he would probably have gone for shorter shocks next time around and wind the coils up for maximum stiffness, so this might work for you. The only problem you have now is detremining what length shock will suit both scenarios. I'm sure Graham could shine some light on the issue. :D
That is what I thought, no point paying for a custom built shock when it will be the wrong spec.

So if I get gaz coil overs built to right spec, to the distance between the shock mount on my lowered beam. Would this improve the ride much? I'm looking for a comprimise on the cost of dropped spindle( wish I had brought some when they were £350 exchange)

excellent thread. Been trying to sort out GAZ coilovers for some time now.

Trying to find out the correct height shock and poundage from the spring is tough.

I have an adjusted beam, t2d drop spindles and slam shocks (coilovers). On my second set of coilovers as the lower bushes were shot, now have a new set with polly bushes.

Although the t2d shocks are meant to be too soft, they are a hard to compress and fit, as the shocks seem too long. Had to use a flat piece of of steel to protect the wheel arch and a crew bar !!

The height between my upper and lower shock mounts is 15". How did you come to the height of 16" for the shocks, as I was reccomended 17" by GAZ.

Also, you seemed to have gained 1/2 an inch in height, was that on purpose, or is it just a case of winding them up a bit, to remove that distance?

Very interested in a set with 150 lb springs, if I can retain the same height and get full suspension travel.

keep up the good info.

mi2itsdl said:
excellent thread. Been trying to sort out GAZ coilovers for some time now.

Trying to find out the correct height shock and poundage from the spring is tough.

I have an adjusted beam, t2d drop spindles and slam shocks (coilovers). On my second set of coilovers as the lower bushes were shot, now have a new set with polly bushes.

Although the t2d shocks are meant to be too soft, they are a hard to compress and fit, as the shocks seem too long. Had to use a flat piece of of steel to protect the wheel arch and a crew bar !!

The height between my upper and lower shock mounts is 15". How did you come to the height of 16" for the shocks, as I was reccomended 17" by GAZ.

Also, you seemed to have gained 1/2 an inch in height, was that on purpose, or is it just a case of winding them up a bit, to remove that distance?

Very interested in a set with 150 lb springs, if I can retain the same height and get full suspension travel.

keep up the good info.

I struggled fitting the T2S style shocks as well, as you said they were too long so I put the bottom eye on a trolley jack and then slid it from there on to the bolt.

I'm not sure how Graham came to the 16" figure (I guess he made the right measurements) but they seem about spot on for me. I wound the springs up quite tight to reduce the initial drop from the weight, I needed to do this as I think my beam was closer to the floor than normal due to the adjuster. If you back the spring off it should drop further as there will be less resistance.

Hope that helps some!

Latest posts