Cross dresser 72, confessions of a recovering ex vw addict

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donkers

Reaction score
Well I've been lurking about, selling junk and asking tech questions so I guess it's time for to get some pics of my van up...
After giving up vw's around three years ago (after being involved since school days) and with a garage with only bicycles in, I got an itch to scratch. Favourite vw I'd had was my early bay single cab, but fancied something to sleep in too so I had a wander down to see Michael/taypic down at the north Westy/restore and more place
This one, though not a 'proper' early caught my eye with being a deluxe, and very very solid

After another visit, and my old man trying to tempt me away with a motorbike. Then Michael sent me a shot of her cleaned up a bit to woo me...and that was the money shot for me haha

Hope pics work, let's see

Keep getting an error message when I try to post more.

Right then, when I got it back to my garage I looked at it a lot, wondering what the hell I'd done. Eventually I decided to start so it was engine out and petrol tank clean. After that I took box out for new gaskets, but discovered that some numpty had fitted the upright engine with the long input shaft on the box! Ah well, off to daz at aircooled performance to get it rebuilt

While that was away I rebuilt the rear end with all new bushes, brake pipes, cables, drums, wheel cylinders etc etc. fitted a pair of adjustable spring plates so I could play with the height.
Once I got the box back in I moved to the front.
Managed to juggle the new creative weedeater beam on as a one man operation! New master cylinder, servo, drop spindles, calipers, discs...basically the lot.
As I'm building this to take me here and there mountain biking I want it to be reliable so everything mechanical is going to be pretty much new :)
Recently sat it back on its wheels...crap pic but it's a narrow garage!

That's it for now

You local to restore & more area??
I live around the corner!!
Hence I've had 4 buses out of there :? :lol:

Look forward to seeing the bus around!!
I'm often up Blyth, my mate Barry Keenan lives up there, he's got a blue Splitty , you seen it?

I don't know him, but I know the van as it's just up the street from me.

Not too sure about interior but will be minimal-R&R bed and table, one cabinet I think
Had a bit faff with the interior panels the other night, they may clean up but will need re-carded

Productive day today :)
Got me spax adjustables fitted on the front, along with fitting the speedo cable and grease caps as I'd forgot the other week :roll:
Fitted buttys accelerator linkage and new cable. Went to change me clutch cable as the first one was too long, however this one got stuck and and when I pulled it out the threaded end was bent 90' haha. Best get a third one. Also fitted the kyb shocks to the rear and clearanced the lip on the chassis rails just I case I go a little lower. :mrgreen: apart from sorting my wobbly steering column I think that's it mechanically until the engine comes back.

Been a while since a progress post. As I'm waiting for my 1776 motor to be built I thought I'd tidy the engine bay. What bugged me was that the engine tray corner had been mangled, so got a panel from schofields.

Took a bit getting and pie cutting to fit, and it's a long time since I've welded! In now but unfortunately the part with the stamp had already been lost. Painted with some 'colour matched' arseols...not a great match but if I ever paint the van it means the engine doesn't need pulled.

While I was at it I painted the rear threshold as it looked like paint stripper had been spilled at some point. The kick panels, seat bases and threshold plate inside too. I'll start on the window rubbers and vinyl covering the surrounds inside next, then hopefully engine will be ready!

Also want someone to rewire it too as I dread that part! :shock:

It's been a long time since posting, and after living away from home for the last 6 months, almost selling, and a(not bus related and still amicable) divorce the van is eventually away to get rewired and engine fitted. 1776cc with scat cam and twin 34's. Should push her along reasonably. Hopefully back for new year and I'll be back home and able to work on the interior.

Fell a bit in love again, it's the first time she's been out in the daylight for more than a year. A bit weight in there should see it sitting a bit lower, and those snide Fuchs will need sorting tho! :roll:

Looking sweet dude. Pleased your back in love with it. Looking forward to seeing it about the North East.

What happened to the high top???

We meet the first Wednesday of the month at random pubs throughout the South Tyneside / Gateshead / Durham area if you ever fancy a beer and a VW related chin wag.

PM me or LeeC or BertietheBus if you ever fancy it mate.

Hi top was just 'resting' there as storage. Was never fitted to the bus
When it's finished I'll get to the odd meet :)

Latest posts