Air Shocks for front of Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mychatype3 said:
Hello all,

I’m also running airshocks in front. Already 15.000km on them ;)
What i have:

narrowed beam 5,5cm taller (2,75 a side)
dropped spindels
adjusters in both tubes, and lowered only on the upper tube
6mm air lines
Monroe Ma824 (first i had the ma803 but they didn’t lift more then 3cm)
When 20psi is in 58cm (tires 165/65/15)
When 140psi is on 62,5cm (150psi 63cm)

IMG_0207.jpg

P1020331.jpg

P1020147.jpg

P1010146.jpg

P1010140.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg
IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

Old video with higher tires 175/65/15 and the ma803 shock’s

Greetings Mycha

Mycha, can you confirm thats the 803 with the beam off the bus and the 824 in the picture with them on the bus? I worry that if the 824 has the bag that inflats outside of the shock without a cover that it will rub against the bolt that mounts the beam to the body and to the spindles.

mychatype3 said:
Hello all,

I’m also running airshocks in front. Already 15.000km on them ;)
What i have:

narrowed beam 5,5cm taller (2,75 a side)
dropped spindels
adjusters in both tubes, and lowered only on the upper tube
6mm air lines
Monroe Ma824 (first i had the ma803 but they didn’t lift more then 3cm)
When 20psi is in 58cm (tires 165/65/15)
When 140psi is on 62,5cm (150psi 63cm)

Greetings Mycha

Mycha your bus looks the perfect stance that i wish for mine!
How is the ride quality?
Do you raise for driving, then drop it when parked?
What expense would i be looking at to have the same system as yours?
Love it!

....Feel the love!

LeeZee said:
Mycha, can you confirm thats the 803 with the beam off the bus and the 824 in the picture with them on the bus? I worry that if the 824 has the bag that inflats outside of the shock without a cover that it will rub against the bolt that mounts the beam to the body and to the spindles.

Hey,

The Ma824 has the outside bag :msn4: i think this will hit your creative beam.
I've seen pictures of a beam where (T2d) welded a bracket on top of the beam to clear the shock, tot extent the mounting point :!: From engineering point i dont like that tho :oops:

Foz said:
Mycha your bus looks the perfect stance that i wish for mine!
How is the ride quality?
Do you raise for driving, then drop it when parked?
What expense would i be looking at to have the same system as yours?
Love it! ....Feel the love!

Thanks, the driving is great, i've driven my van to Norway. Italy etc. 15.000km +
Now i've chanced the front tires it don't rub at all. When parked at a show 8) it's on 20 psi = 54 cm from bottom to arch (5cm tire clearance) when driving i put it on 110/120 psi and it's around 57 cm (8cm tire clearance from top of tire to inner arch). Tires are 165/55/15.
Expense :?: at the moment K&K has a airchock kit
http://www.kieftenklok.net/componen..._id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,8/lang,nl/

Greetings Mycha

Thanks for the reply Mycha, Thats excellent. Could you also recommend the best beam i would require to fit that shock absorber kit to? Mines a LHD

would I be looking at a shortened beam? 2"- 4" maybe?
Im a complete beginner at this, and know nothing basically!!
But i do know how i want my bus to look, lol
Thanks for your help.....

....Feel the love!

Foz said:
Thanks for the reply Mycha, Thats excellent. Could you also recommend the best beam i would require to fit that shock absorber kit to? Mines a LHD

would I be looking at a shortened beam? 2"- 4" maybe?
Im a complete beginner at this, and know nothing basically!!
But i do know how i want my bus to look, lol
Thanks for your help.....

....Feel the love!

Hello, knowing how the look must be is a good start :lol:

2" is ok, 4" will not clear the shocks without a modification to the lower arm!
There is a wide range off beams for sale; Slamwerks, t2d, creative, volksprojects.nl (etc.
I like the beams with needle bearings in them just like original). I don't like uretheen busings :evil:.

greetings mycha

Hi guys, can you run these shocks on a standard beam with adjusters and drop spindles. I'm concerned about shocks clearance.
Cheer rory

Starkz said:
Hi guys, can you run these shocks on a standard beam with adjusters and drop spindles. I'm concerned about shocks clearance.
Cheer rory

Yes will fit with an original beam and dropped spindles including adjusters ;)
Ma824 has a compressed length of 32cm (eye to eye) my van is compressed 37 cm.
598650_441109212597824_1520282988_n.jpg

Last week i tested the monroe's at the back of the van, they give 5 cm lift at 150psi 8)

Greetz mycha

Hi Mycha,
Thanks for the reply. So you are running ma824 on the front and is it the 803's on the back or is it a different part number all together.

Cheers rory.

Starkz said:
Hi Mycha,
Thanks for the reply. So you are running ma824 on the front and is it the 803's on the back or is it a different part number all together.

Cheers rory.

Hey,

At the moment i'm running ma 824 on the front (almost 3 years now 8) ) with 4valves (up/down/left/right).
Just tested the ma824 on the back, the work great (5cm lift and the ma803 did 3cm). Now i've ordered a set for the back and will place these including another 4valves and a air-tank this winter (2012/2013). Also ordered a set of Gabriel Hijackers (with the same properties as the monroe's) they have a protection sleeve around the airbag and can go to 200psi (instead of 150psi from Monroe) so will test these also 8) ;)

the ma803 work great with only adjusters in the front beam.

Greetings from Holland, mycha

mychatype3 said:
Hello, knowing how the look must be is a good start :lol:

2" is ok, 4" will not clear the shocks without a modification to the lower arm!
There is a wide range off beams for sale; Slamwerks, t2d, creative, volksprojects.nl (etc.
I like the beams with needle bearings in them just like original). I don't like uretheen busings :evil:.

greetings mycha

Myach, do you mean on a beam where the top mount point of the beam is in the standard position? If you have a beam where this top mount for the shock is further back I would of thought modifying the arm is unnecessary?

Perhaps I have miss understood.

LeeZee said:
Mycha, do you mean on a beam where the top mount point of the beam is in the standard position? If you have a beam where this top mount for the shock is further back I would of thought modifying the arm is unnecessary?

Perhaps I have miss understood.

When the beam is narrowed more than 2 inch (3 or 4) you have to have longer shock towers. When you also extend the lower arm the angle of the shock is better angled for lifting, photo of a bug:
P3310305.jpg

Greetz mycha

I'm wondering if this angle is part of my problem.

What methods have been used in the past to extend lower mount position?

It looks tricky and clearly would have to be very strong.

LeeZee said:
I'm wondering if this angle is part of my problem.
What methods have been used in the past to extend lower mount position?
It looks tricky and clearly would have to be very strong.

I'm not a fan of welding to the arm (there are a lot of people that are doing it, such as welded dropped spindles), the material of the arm is cast iron you have to now what your doing when welding on those.

I only extended my shock towers, my shocks are standing almost straight.
To get a decent lift at the front you have to have a combination of torsion tension and angle of the arms.

Greetings Mycha

I'm thinking that the safest way may be something like on the Beatle in your picture. I could machine a bracket that fits over the lower arm and is bolted to the original mount.

I never really I considered that the angle could effect the ability to lift but it makes sense.

I HAVE LIFT OFF!

Hooked up everything with the adjusters moved to give preload and hey presto away it went. I'll take some pictures and measurements once I get it MOTd and back safe and sound in my garage.

Happy man!

LeeZee said:
I HAVE LIFT OFF!

Hooked up everything with the adjusters moved to give preload and hey presto away it went. I'll take some pictures and measurements once I get it MOTd and back safe and sound in my garage.

Happy man!

:bliss: :party0053: congratulations

I have ones on the back, they work great.

As soon as I get it MOTd and back to my own garage I'll develop it further.

I've got a tank pressure switches and 8 solenoid valves :)

LeeZee said:
I have ones on the back, they work great.
As soon as I get it MOTd and back to my own garage I'll develop it further.
I've got a tank pressure switches and 8 solenoid valves :)

Nice, i've ordered a set for the back also, they are on the way from the use.
Air-tank and 8 valves :party0049:, cool, i'm curious to see some photo's (or video 8) ).
what do you have in the rear? ma803/824 and adjustable plates?

Greetz mycha

I think it's 803 and yeah with plates. At the moment it's only on the small standard tube that came with it and a Schrader valve. I have fittings to adapt the shocks to 6mm pipe so that will be next. I'll get it hooked up like this with out the valves and tanks and install the valves with 4 x 150psi gauges and 4 x alloy toggle switches. I might even do a fifth switch that does all 4 shocks at once.

Mycha?

Have you notched your chassis at the back? I'm concerned ill need to do this to run the back something close to matching the front.

Latest posts