Air Shocks for front of Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIKER

Reaction score
Morning,does anyone have any suggestions regarding air shocks for the front of van please.I see the boys in Holland are doing a kit for £400 but this seems a bit steep for 2 shocks and a compressor??
Anyone have any ideas please. Thank You

These air shocks, are they simply a replacement fit for the originals, and gives you a certain degree of lift and drop?
Or am i once again being naive in thinking its that simple?
Id like to be able to drop my front end a further inch or so without having to completely rebuild the front end at an extortionate cost!
I know my bus has already been lowered by about 4inches by the previous owner. Im just so noob to all this, i haven't a clue where i would start, or whether i could lower it a further inch on the setup it already has.....

sent via mobile phone, using that taptalk app thingy!

I'm having a set of the K'n'K shocks fitted at the moment.

Yes, it is not a cheap set, but then it was easier for me for all the parts to be sourced in one go.

I'll let you know how it goes. The bus went into the garage yesterday, so I will be posting about it, when it is done. There are a few other air shocks posts with alot of information. I would also refer to them.

You can only raise a bus on shocks. It has to be lowered first have a read of this...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=313075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its about bugs mostly but its the same shocks and compressor and principles. Read this start to finish if your thinnking about air shocks. You would have to get monroe for the front if you want to do it cheaply, some have done it on a bay and it can be done on a budget but personally i dont think its a good idea. Get one of the airlift kits from http://www.sears.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; its a £20 flat rate postage from the USA. you will need monroe shocks for the front. Dont expect great results on shocks, you really need to bag the front as a bus is so heavy.

You need something like this to do it properly

http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/bus-front-suspension/split-bag-beam.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

notice they use 2500lbs bags where as the monroe shocks are only rated for 1200lbs, less than half the weight

adamski said:
My plan is only for getting in and out of my garage

You have to keep letting the air out of the tyres too? To get under the door stop.
Thats what i have to do, but luckily i have a compressor handy to blow them back up again.

sent via mobile phone, using that taptalk app thingy!

Nope, there is a slope down and because my front is low, I will need to raise it up. Plus I'm fitting bull bars...

MIKER said:
Morning,does anyone have any suggestions regarding air shocks for the front of van please.I see the boys in Holland are doing a kit for £400 but this seems a bit steep for 2 shocks and a compressor??
Anyone have any ideas please. Thank You

Hi,

There's another thread here:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36897&hilit=air+shocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought a kit front and rear for well less than the 400, very similar to the t2d, and will get around to fitting it when i finish the few bits on the van at the moment. Pics and detail of what i bought are on that thread too.

I just want standard air for normal use, and for when fully loaded, dont need to slam or anything like that, and as they are helper units are ideal for my application when loaded, not to be used as a slam job or anything like that, this isn't what they are intended for.

For me and my standard bus. Fine.

Cheers,

Alistair

Trikky2 said:
Johnny said:
You can only raise a bus on air shocks.

:lol: That could be interesting - reversing the pump and sucking air out to lower the suspension :lol:

i dont get your point trikky?

if you want to install air shocks whats the point if your bus isnt lowered already.... seriously, some people really dont get that so it has to be pointed out.

If you want to get in and out of that garage the lowered height is the height you will have to drive the bus at most of the time so just get it done sensibly. As Aliaster said airshocks are 'helper' units on a bus. If you want to cruise around dragging your arse then you have to use bags, there is no other way. Pete Skiba has said that airshocks dont cut it on the back of a beetle and will only last a week or two before blowing the seals. Can anyone give us some stats on the diference in weight front axle of a bus and rear of a beetle? ;)

All that said im more than happy to point people in the right direction on where to get the bits and pieces, tanks compressor cheaply and where to source the correct 7/16-20 JIC fittings to upgrade the shocks to 1/4 dot. I've gone through a dozen fittings trial and error to get the right ones. I can even tap some couplers for anyone who needs them to fit 1/4" compression fittings. The 1/8" pipe work supplied by Monroe is rather narrow to inflate with any speed. Swapping to 1/4" dot or 6mm metric is @3.8 times faster. I actually have an Airlift compressor going spare.

I'm not sure if I my mentioning about getting out of the garage is causing confusion.

I'm certainly aware of the use of airshocks, and they are only temporary. I just need to raise the front of my van 20-30mm to be able to handle the slope out of my garage, then will drive my van on the usual suspension (which is not that slammed). Roof height is not an issue (i don't have a pop-top).

adamski said:
I'm not sure if I my mentioning about getting out of the garage is causing confusion.

I'm certainly aware of the use of airshocks, and they are only temporary. I just need to raise the front of my van 20-30mm to be able to handle the slope out of my garage, then will drive my van on the usual suspension (which is not that slammed). Roof height is not an issue (i don't have a pop-top).

then it would work no problem for you as your already lowered.

Johnny said:
Trikky2 said:
Johnny said:

:lol: That could be interesting - reversing the pump and sucking air out to lower the suspension :lol:

if you want to install air shocks whats the point if your bus isnt lowered already.... seriously, some people really dont get that so it has to be pointed out.

If you want to get in and out of that garage the lowered height is the height you will have to drive the bus at most of the time so just get it done sensibly. As Aliaster said airshocks are 'helper' units on a bus. If you want to cruise around dragging your arse then you have to use bags, there is no other way. Pete Skiba has said that airshocks dont cut it on the back of a beetle and will only last a week or two before blowing the seals. Can anyone give us some stats on the diference in weight front axle of a bus and rear of a beetle? ;)

All that said im more than happy to point people in the right direction on where to get the bits and pieces, tanks compressor cheaply and where to source the correct 7/16-20 JIC fittings to upgrade the shocks to 1/4 dot. I've gone through a dozen fittings trial and error to get the right ones. I can even tap some couplers for anyone who needs them to fit 1/4" compression fittings. The 1/8" pipe work supplied by Monroe is rather narrow to inflate with any speed. Swapping to 1/4" dot or 6mm metric is @3.8 times faster. I actually have an Airlift compressor going spare.

I've bought my monroes and air lift kit but need 1/4 inch elbows for the shocks. Are you selling these johnny?

Cheers
Nigel

Im not selling but i can point you the right direction. Depends if you want to tap the fittings? I'm happy to do it if your stuck. I have found through trial and error fittings that dont need a reducer or coupling for the monroe 7/16-20 JIC male

Johnny said:
Im not selling but i can point you the right direction. Depends if you want to tap the fittings? I'm happy to do it if your stuck. I have found through trial and error fittings that dont need a reducer or coupling for the monroe 7/16-20 JIC male

Hi I see, I'm comfortable tapping the fittings. Just need pointing in the right direction really mate

Cheers
Nigel

Johnny said:
Trikky2 said:
Johnny said:

Your having to state "you can only raise on air shocks" prompted me to think of somebody wanting to lower their bus using air shocks - made me laugh - ah well - never mind - I guess my sense of humour is not the same as others :?

Johnny said:

I'm still waiting on my set to come from the states. So Johnny just so I'm clear, you have tapped out the standard fitting to 1/4" NPT then fitted a 1/4" NPT to 1/4 pipe coupling? Like I said I've not got mine yet so I don't really know the real size of the port on the shock, I was going to use 6mm tube just becasue its more available, it would be a great boost if I don't have to get an adaptor welded on.

Lee

So, if you have a narrowed beam (more than 2 inches) I don't think you can fit the air shocks...so I might have a kit for sale...

->Adam

Really? Cool, how to you clear the 'arm' I think it is called? I wonder if the 84mm (or 3.3 inches) that a weedeater is narrowed is a little less than mine (CB performance - 4 inches).

Did you have to do any clearancing or anything?

Latest posts