Air Shocks for front of Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some bushes made to clear things, at first I also think it wouldn't fit, but it did.
I'll try to post some pics :D

DSCF2431.jpg

DSCF2432.jpg

Hi There,

That is very helpful. I'm going to go for the shorter shocks still, and then see what is possible.

Do you have a problem with the shocks bottoming out? It seems the shocks I have are quite long.

I'll keep this forum updated with my progress.

->Adam

Adamski, which p/n shock did you go for? My Monroe MA803's just arrived today and they seem like they're going to be too long. I spent ages deciding the length and went for these cos they're supposedly 10.5" compressed. 16.1" extended.
Also, the eyelets at each end aren't in line with each other... They're about 45 degrees out which is weird...

Retrokid, I've just installed MA803's in the front of my lowered westy. I didn't think they were short enough either when I first received them, but I found they wouldn't compress completely without putting some air into them first. (I gave each a blast from an air nozzle to extend slightly while pressing the shock against the floor, then kept my weight on it while it deflated) I believe trying to compress them when completely deflated pinches the rubber inside - minimum 10 psi is required during use to prevent damage. My upper and lower mounting eyes were misaligned also, and after PM'ing a fellow on here that's been running them for a while, I decided to just give them a bit of a twist to install as he did. :msn4: So far so good, bus goes up and down, but haven't driven on them yet.

I'd really love to see some videos of your buses going up and down :D

LeeZee said:
I'd really love to see some videos of your buses going up and down :D
I'll give it a try... (my first attempt at posting a vid)

[flash=http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786]width="400" height="300" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=2ee70718c0&photo_id=7089138261" bgcolor="#000000" allowFullScreen="true"[/flash]

Well, that didn't work... just imagine the front of a bus going up about an inch (2.5 cm), then back down a couple of times. ;)

squarebob said:
Well, that didn't work... just imagine the front of a bus going up about an inch (2.5 cm), then back down a couple of times. ;)

Only an inch? What max pressure you running?

rockandrollcamper said:
What air fittings are people using to get their monroe shocks up to 1/4 ? where can I buy these ?
I used DOT 90 degree push-to-connect air brake fittings from a local industrial parts supply store. They had a female 1/4 pipe thread, so I made myself adapters by drilling out 1/4 NPT (pipe thread) brass plugs and threading them with a 7/16-20 tap. I threaded these directly onto the shocks with a little bit of sealant on the threads, cheap and easy:

LeeZee said:
I only get about an inch rise at 110-120psi (that's off my shop compressor) and it starts to rise at about 80psi. I'm planning to add an on-board 150psi compressor, which may give a bit more lift.

squarebob said:
rockandrollcamper said:
What air fittings are people using to get their monroe shocks up to 1/4 ? where can I buy these ?
I used DOT 90 degree push-to-connect air brake fittings from a local industrial parts supply store. They had a female 1/4 pipe thread, so I made myself adapters by drilling out 1/4 NPT (pipe thread) brass plugs and threading them with a 7/16-20 tap. I threaded these directly onto the shocks with a little bit of sealant on the threads, cheap and easy:

LeeZee said:
I only get about an inch rise at 110-120psi (that's off my shop compressor) and it starts to rise at about 80psi. I'm planning to add an on-board 150psi compressor, which may give a bit more lift.

Sorry, I haven't explained myself well. I meant what air fittings are people using?

rockandrollcamper, I'll clarify also... The fittings pictured and the description above them, are what I used to get the monroe shocks fitted to 1/4" tubing. -Perhaps someone else can post up a different/better/easier way to do it. The comment at the bottom regarding rise/pressure was directed at LeeZee.

Hello all,

I’m also running airshocks in front. Already 15.000km on them ;)
What i have:

narrowed beam 5,5cm taller (2,75 a side)
dropped spindels
adjusters in both tubes, and lowered only on the upper tube
6mm air lines
Monroe Ma824 (first i had the ma803 but they didn’t lift more then 3cm)
When 20psi is in 58cm (tires 165/65/15)
When 140psi is on 62,5cm (150psi 63cm)

IMG_0207.jpg

P1020331.jpg

P1020147.jpg

P1010146.jpg

P1010140.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg
IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

Old video with higher tires 175/65/15 and the ma803 shock’s

Greetings Mycha

squarebob said:
rockandrollcamper, I'll clarify also... The fittings pictured and the description above them, are what I used to get the monroe shocks fitted to 1/4" tubing. -Perhaps someone else can post up a different/better/easier way to do it. The comment at the bottom regarding rise/pressure was directed at LeeZee.

Apologies, I was viewing on tapatalk earlier and neither the text nor the photo were present. Thank you

Mycha, I'm wondering if you are using an air tank or just the pump/compressor. If just the pump, how long for the shocks to fill/raise? Interesting that the 824's gave you more lift, I've got a set of those also that I'm going to try on the rear since they are close to the length I need.

rockandrollcamper, I'm on tapatalk right now and see what you mean... Weird...

squarebob said:
Mycha, I'm wondering if you are using an air tank or just the pump/compressor. If just the pump, how long for the shocks to fill/raise? Interesting that the 824's gave you more lift, I've got a set of those also that I'm going to try on the rear since they are close to the length I need.

Hello, Only the compressor and two electronic valves (1 for left, 1 for right, so there is no air transport with corners) no tank at the moment, in the future i want to place one. To pump around 15-20seconds per side. Ma803 give me 3cm and the ma824 almost 5cm.

Interested how they work on the rear 8)

Greetings Mycha

I have a kieft and klock kit for sale as the shocks are not really suitable for a 4 inch narrowed beam (fine for 2 inch). You can clearance the suspension parts to allow the shocks, but I'm not going to.
The kit includes
2 shocks (fits all bays)
Air hose
All air fittings
Switch and relay
Pressure gauge
Dash mount for switch and gauge
Compressor

Air hose connection diagram included

Price: £375 plus shipping (no offers please I have a new born child to feed!)

The image below is from the k'n'k site. If you want me to take pics of my kit I can (it is just all packaged up).

56a03464-5255-b4ec.jpg

Guys I'm having some problems with my setup, I'm a bit lost at the moment so any help or thoughts you have would be great.

Basically I have fitted a weed eater with drop spindles and the monroes and I'm not getting any lift. One thought is that I might have them the wrong way around.

Front
5ac07b2f-e129-d449.jpg

Back
5ac07b2f-e1a9-a48a.jpg

Latest posts