'69 Savannah Deluxe continued.....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi mark loving the evolution of Gert , looks like your doing a great job of the old girl and really putting your stamp on her buddy I'm nearly ready for the road with the split but she's a long long project everything costs 5 x the money hope to catch up over the season

davebug said:
Hi mark loving the evolution of Gert , looks like your doing a great job of the old girl and really putting your stamp on her buddy I'm nearly ready for the road with the split but she's a long long project everything costs 5 x the money hope to catch up over the season

Glad you're liking the look of Gert at the mo, i've still got the super shiny empi 5's in the garage so they could make a return at any time.

Good to hear that the split's nearly good to go :D . Did you start a build thread on the SSVC forum, i'd love to have a nosey? We've got a few shows in the diary for this year so maybe see you over the summer. Let me know when you hit the road.

I've been looking at a few splits myself recently. If that elusive 'bargain' turns up i may be tempted to take on a bit of a project. If you hear of an original paint rust free bus knocking about for about £15k let me know.

Hey buddy great to hear , as for the empis take care of those as they took months to ship over from the states as they're eagle chromies and not many around mate , as for the splitty yes I started a thread but more or less abandoned it as if I'm honest them lot aren't nearly as nice as early bay crew , there of a different mentality completely but I'll not divulge lol ,if I spot anything I'll defo pm ya keep up the work on Gertrude she looks well happy Claire says hi to u all :D

I've been doing a bit more work recently, this time the brakes. Again.

The bus was pulling to the right a bit so, after a bit of reading up, i decided that a flexi hose might be at fault so i bought a pair of replacements as well as some new shoes.

When i got the drums off they were both contaminated and on further inspection found that all four cylinders were leaking :shock: i was surprised as the brakes were pretty powerful.

Anyway, the front now has new hoses, cylinders and shoes. the only thing i did notice when fitting the new shoes was that the springs sit against the cylinders (see pic). I can't remember it being like that when i took them off, is that normal? It might not be quite right but i can't see it doing any harm.

With the front now done that completes an overhaul on the entire braking system as Graham replaced the rear cylinders and shoes when he fitted the remote servo. just got to bleed it tonight then it should stop like a good 'un :D

Mark

Bled the brakes tonight with the help of my good lady.

Went out for a test run and all is good. I can now stamp on the brakes at 55mph with my hands off the wheel and she brakes straight as. No more wrestling with the wheel :D

I was searching for throttle kits, but who makes the canopy attached to the van?

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66269&hilit=throttle+kit&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

magoo said:
I was searching for throttle kits, but who makes the canopy attached to the van?

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66269&hilit=throttle+kit&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one?

It's a 'sun' canopy from just kampers although we find it most useful when it rains. If you get a BBQ or fire going under there it traps the heat too. I don't think that they do them in grey any more only green, orange or blue.

Mark

magoo said:
Great, how long would it take to set up? It's either that or a pop up gazebo. Nice van by the way.

It's like all tents/awnings etc the first time it was a pita. Now i've got it down to less than 10 minutes.

There are two flexible poles that go cross ways to form the domed roof, these then attach to solid poles front and back. The back one clamps to the gutter and the other has two legs as you can see in the pic. The two guy ropes then just help it keep its shape.

Mark

I noticed the same thing earlier this week with the springs in my front drums. What I found with mine, is the straight section that rubs is actually off centre, so when I switched the springs over, they no longer fouled the piston. Yours look more central though than mine, are they aftermarket?

I'm not sure if they were designed originally such that they cleared the pistons, and the reality is they shouldn't really rub even if they do touch.

Been stalking your thread and seen this

CC75F7A4-0ADA-4817-93B9-77DB252B96DA_zpsug0un9jy.jpg

Never actually occurred to me to cover the rear load bay in wood, it'll be a good way to hide the flashing tape I would have behind it.

Thanks for the idea :msn4:

Just spent a great weekend at the Early Bay Campout. Thanks Graham and Jenni for organising it.

The line up on Sunday morning looked amazing, 43 vans in year order :D

I'll let the pics do the talking and hopefully the two videos at the bottom will work.

We popped along to Weston Park for Dubs/Retro Mania a couple of weeks ago. It's billed as a 50:50 water/air cooled show but the turnout from the air cooled crowd was a little disappointing. More like 80:20 in favour of the water pumpers i reckon.

Still, a good time was had by all and the weather was fantastic.

We went along with some friends who bought the silver MK1 GTi in the pics below. He'd restored it a few years ago but had never driven it on the road. He insured and taxed it on the Saturday morning and on Sunday walked away with the best of show trophy!!

Here's a few pics....

Gert soaking up the rays 8)

Loved this Audi :mrgreen:

This 912 had recently been bought from its first owner in Cali and was super original

I was just looking through a few photos from this year and thought i'd share a few. Plus it reminds me what i've been up to in the bus.

Seems a long time go now but Camperjam was a good 'un for us this year with Gert being awarded the Robert Johnson trophy :D

It started off wet on the Friday afternoon but after that the weather was great

Thanks Shawn for the use of your shelter.

The Early bay line up on the Saturday was well attended as ever.

Steak and eggs for breakfast, very civilised :)

Did i mention that Gert won an award :oops: :oops:

Went along to Busfest too. It rained.

We did manage to get out for a few other 'normal' campming trip in Gert this year but i can't find many photos. This site was in Derbyshire somewhere.

Gert trying to be the centre of attention.

Had a run out the other day and grabbed this autumnal shot.

The van is now tucked away in the garage with a few little jobs to do but nothing major. There's been talk of yet another set of wheels though.......... :msn4:

Looking forward to next season already, its' going to be a long winter. Hopefully catch up with some of you next year probably starting at the Campout in May.

Mark

Great pictures :)
A very nice van and glad you and the family are getting to enjoy it :mrgreen: 8)

gninnam said:
Great pictures :)
A very nice van and glad you and the family are getting to enjoy it :mrgreen: 8)

Thanks Andy. Busy planning this years camping trips now. A nice mix of shows and 'proper' camping. :D

Latest posts